route to albuferia

grumpy carol

I did this route in January, so hope the snow is gone by now. The road is very good from Burgos down to Salamanca. The site we stopped on at Salamanca is camping Regio at Santa Marta. It is a large, well-equiped site behind a large hotel (book in at hotel reception in low season). Salamanca city is well worth a look at for a day or two, an hourly bus service from the hotel carpark goes right into the city centre and is, like most bus routes in Spain, inexpensive. From Salamanca, you have the choice of two routes down to the Algarve, down to Sevilla via Merida and turn right for Portugal or turn right at Merida and travel via Badajoz and Evora and then down the A2 to Albufeira. Hope this helps.

hi grumpy carol

have done this journey several times but don't use campsites.

i use the tunnel in the wee small hours. drive until tired using free motorway & main roads. usually get past Rouen and stop in a layby somewhere for a few hours sleep. set off as soon as i wake up keeping a lookout for a boulangerie. use main roads down to Bordeaux. use the free motorway south from there and the paid section into Spain. Then head for Vitoria Gasteiz, Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Caceres, Merida, Badajoz. I only use the free sections of motorway in Spain (unless it's snowing ).Cross into Portugal just before Elvas. I take various routes down to Albufeira using the minor roads and overnighting where i like. Have never been asked "What are you doing here?"

have had snow in Spain twice once going down in january & once coming back in March.

the journey has taken from 2 - 5 days depending on weather & if travelling solo or in convoy.

Archived