Spare tyre

andrew j

Hello everyone

We are now the proud owners of a EuraMobile profila 675 (Ford Chassis) which we collected at the weekend. I have not checked with the dealer but was wondering about a spare tyre, i.e. does it have one and where will I find it, also what happens if I get a flat.

We are members of Safeguard insurance who will assist with flat tyres but do not carry spare wheels around (understandably) - can someone give advice as to what they do.

I have seen a company advertise in motorhome monthly £65 for 3 years tyre replacement and road side assistance, . Does anyone have any views, I would love to hear from you.

andrew J

Guest Tracker

One of our party suffered a rear tyre blowout in Morocco.

Good job he had a spare as we were a long way from anywhere liable to stock a Michelin Camping Car tyre.

That said, he did manage to get one quite easily in Marakech as it turned out - but getting to Marakech would have been fun without a spare wheel.

I am with safeguard and have been for some years. Many years ago with my first van and first trip out I had a rear tyre blow out on the A1 going North to Scotland. The jack provided with the van was worse than useless so I phoned the AA (Part of the cover included in the Insurance). They came out within 20 minutes and with a trolley jack lifted my vehicle with ease, nice AA man got out my spare (underneath rear of van) and fitted it for me. He then phoned to a local tyre dealer to see if they had a replacement and once confirmed convoyed me to the dealer. Once he had confirmed that the tyre would be replaced immediately so that we could get back on our way he left with a wave and a smile. I have since purchased a trolley jack and fortunately never had to use it (sod's law really). I have remained with safeguard eve since.

Andrew

It would be helpful to know the model-year of your motorhome as Eura Mobil built the Profila Alcove 675VB on Ford Transit Mk 6 and Mk 7 chassis. However, in both cases I'm pretty sure a spare-wheel was provided as standard, located beneath the vehicle (just behind the rear axle) and lowered/raised using Ford's cable 'winding' mechanism.

If you have a Transit Mk 6-based 675VB (prior to Year 2007 roughly-speaking), then beware of changing a rear wheel as the bodywork obstructs access to the rear wheels very badly. Even 'professionals' may have major problems removing/replacing a rear wheel on Mk 6-based Profilas. The rear wheel-arch shape was totally redesigned for Mk 7-based Profila to circumvent this difficulty.

Archived