Aftersales repair work -a let down

wheelstogo

Hymer UK replaced an internal spot lamp and also replaced an exterior bulb above the habitation door. My Invoice listed two 5 Watt halogen bulbs. Months later, the diffuser above the habitation door started to show scorch marks. Hymer UK/ Brownhills refuses to accept the blame even though I have had an independent electician investigate and conclude that both the spot lamp and the exterior bulb, both fitted by Hymer, are both 10 Watt halogen bulbs. Indeed the correct power for the spot but not for the exterior lamp which should only be 5 Watt. After one visit to Hymer UK, three e-mails, and one letter sent by recorded delivery to the Chief Executive, I get no apology or any offer to remedy the fault.

Has anyone got any good advice how to get it resolved?

Guest Tracker

You could try getting a small claims county court action form and filling it all in and then send a photo copy of it to the offending dealer principle with a very nice letter explaining your frustration and politely advising him that under the circumstances you have no alternative but reluctantly to activate the claim if he does not find himself able to resolve your problem toute de suite.

You are then being very polite and reasonable and even kindly to give him one more chance to rectify.

Does not always work and I doubt if anything will make Brownstuff get off their collective bums - but it might be worth a shot - especially if you are prepared to see it through.

I would specify the dealership manager specifically and the company CEO as joint defendants. That will get their attention!

What is the value of the remedial work required? One 5 watt non halogen (it certainly shouldn't be a halogen bulb, just a tungsten filament one) bulb, one lens and five minutes to fit it?

While it is no doubt frustrating that any business should make such a basic mistake and then deny responsibility for it the reality is that you are talking about a £5 problem in reality, £10 if you use a major dealer like Broonills! Get your local auto electrician to sort it and put it down to experience, then get out and enjoy using your motorhome.

D.

It's not worth getting worried about, sort it yourself and just stay clear of them in the future and be thankful that the 'problem' they caused was only a minor one ... they can be worse.

Moral of the story ... don't let them loose on your van again unless absolutely vital (ie warranty work only).

By the way - welcome to the mad house! :->

If you can get the diffuser, I agree with the comments above - except I'm afraid Dave's, because I suspect the lamp is a halogen G4 lamp, like ours, which cannot be substituted by a standard tungsten due to different contacts.

However, keep all the receipts, and if you have to go back to them again in future, and you still feel aggrieved, pay them in cash, less the cost of the repairs you carried out, and give them copies of your receipts and letters to show why.  Then they'd have to try to sue you, or grin and bear it.  Silly s*ds!  :-)

I take the outside light to be one of the high level marker lamps that comes on with the side light circuit? If that is so then I've never come across halogen bulbs being used for these, more normally it would either be a 5watt side light bulb or a festoon bulb. If it is a G4 fitting then I bow to Brian's superior knowledge.

D.

davenewell@home - 2009-03-17 10:02 PM the reality is that you are talking about a £5 problem in reality, £10 if you use a major dealer like Broonills! Get your local auto electrician to sort it and put it down to experience, then get out and enjoy using your motorhome. D.

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Dave on this. What's happened is that a (probably) newish employee has been given a couple of bulbs to replace on a MH, (s)he has not checked the wattages of the existing 'cos (s)he thought the person who handed them out of stores knew what were the correct wattages, and the storeman thought that the person doing the swap out would look at the old bulbs before binning them.

So if it were me I would (a) vow never to use them again and (b) get the corrrect bulbs and fit them myself and © if the diffuser is really 'browned off' !! also get a new one from another Hymer dealer and replace that myself.

I apologise if that sounds harsh but like others have said 'Life is too short' and the 'Let's go to court' thingy isn't always the answer.

davenewell@home - 2009-03-18 6:54 AM I take the outside light to be one of the high level marker lamps that comes on with the side light circuit? If that is so then I've never come across halogen bulbs being used for these, more normally it would either be a 5watt side light bulb or a festoon bulb. If it is a G4 fitting then I bow to Brian's superior knowledge. D.

Hadn't thought of that, had I, Dave?  :-)  I was assuming the outside light must be the one above the habitation door!  If it is a marker, I'm sure you'll be right, its not a G4 lamp.

Funny how being specific helps get the right answer, innit!  :-)

Only a week or so ago there was athread running that was entitled "Brownhils Again". This raised my interest as I had purchased all 3 of my vans from there Newark site when I lived up that way (about 1 Hours drive), have to say at this point that I did not have any complaints. When I moved South a couple of years ago just imagine how fortunate I thought I was to find the local Brownhills liteally on my doorstep (5 mins tops). However, thats when it all started going wrong, even before the management buy out !

My point, after seeing the thread I thought right, it isn't just me so I will write to them (Email actually) and vent my list of frustrations and concens. 24 hours later I received a call on my mobile from the PA to the CEO who stated that they were concerned about my dissatisfaction with them and wanted further details, which I of course provided.

Another 24 hours later and I received an Email stating that if I go back and personally see the local manager that my next visit should be better. I am not going to bother, I have an alternative garage that will service and MOT my vehicle at a fraction of the cost and they do a bloody good job.

Advice as per the rest, don't think you will get anywhere if you pursue other than more stressed. Not worth the hassle, vote with your wallet and take your business elswhere.

Brian Kirby - 2009-03-18 4:14 PM
davenewell@home - 2009-03-18 6:54 AM I take the outside light to be one of the high level marker lamps that comes on with the side light circuit? If that is so then I've never come across halogen bulbs being used for these, more normally it would either be a 5watt side light bulb or a festoon bulb. If it is a G4 fitting then I bow to Brian's superior knowledge. D.

Hadn't thought of that, had I, Dave?  :-)  I was assuming the outside light must be the one above the habitation door!  If it is a marker, I'm sure you'll be right, its not a G4 lamp.

Funny how being specific helps get the right answer, innit!  :-)

Actually you are correct Brian, having re-read the OP it does clearly state the outside light to be "above the habitation door" which means its more likely to be an "awning light" rather than a marker. The devil is in the detail ;-) .D.

Thanks to all, I mean ALL, for some excellent advice. I have spoken to Trading Standards already, hence my letter to the CEO of Brownhills, who by the way, just about managed to get back to me within the ten days I gave him, and then only after a moan to his PA: he couldn't even bother to write a letter - but just sent back my own correspondence and scribbled on the bottom of it " Sorry we canot help further. Cheerio. Tom. "

How patronising and flippant was that? In reply to Davenewell, Hymer makes a meal out of replacing that particular bulb, about an hours work I think they charge, so it's not a £5 job what with having to buy a new diffuser aswell. I agree with MelB Peter, Brian, Losos, Big Momma that its not worth the hassle, life's too short, and I'll get any subsequent repairs done elsewhere. I think Brian's answer would be a good way to reclaim money I spend in getting it fixed, I have to take it to Brownhills for a Damp Test, as Hymer doesn't seem to accept anybody else's test as valid. I'll deduct the money spent from their charges. This isn't the first time I've had cause for complaint with Hymer Aftersales, eg. rear brakes seized up, burnt out front brake pads - discovered only when it failed MOT two weeks after a full service at Preston, just to name one problem, but usually some sort of compromise has been reached, but not this time. Anything to do with the new management, I wonder?

Archived