Remis (Remifront) cab blinds: mould or mildew.

Brian Kirby

Guest Brian Kirby
The following statement was received yesterday, 20 Jnauary, from Remis UK. "Towards the late summer of 2005 we identified that some window and rooflight blinds made using pleated material were showing signs of what appeared to be mildew. On investigation it was found that the marks were actually the centre metalised material leaching through under certain conditions. The root cause of this was found to be due to the absence of the required protective coating on one side of the material. The problem will not necessarily manifest itself on every blind and is cosmetic only. Since October 2005 we have only used correctly coated material. This is clearly a legitimate warrantee issue and any one who has experienced problems should seek replacements through the dealer network as they would for any warrantee claim. Ian Fletcher. Remis UK 20 Jan 2006" If your blinds, which can include the pleated blackout blinds for Remis rooflights, show deterioration that looks like mould or mildew - a dark, mottled, discolouration on the side facing into your 'van - you are advised to contact your supplier post haste. I understand that Remis has issued a similar statement to all it's UK wholesalers. The replacements will, I understand from Remis, all be the new mark 2 version of the blinds, to ensure that none of the potentially defective batch gets back into coiculation. Therefore, if you are not offered the mark 2 blinds as replacement, you should reject anything else and insist that your supplier checks whether he is offering the correct product. It may well be the case that individual retailers, dealers or motorhome converters may not yet know of the Remis statement. Some persuasion may be required and they should be directed to their wholesaler / supplier in these cases. Thank you Alan Cannon, Elizabeth Kaveney and Bob Hatfield from this forum, Ian Fletcher of Remis UK and, by no means least, Val and George Collings of MMM Intercahnge for your suppoer and assistance in getting to the bottom of this problem. Regards to all Brian Kirby

Guest Maureen Smith
Hi Brian, Just to say thank you for doing the legwork in getting this matter solved. I have been in touch with my dealer (Nene Court Motorhomes) and they are ordering us a new blind. Thanks again. Maureen.

Guest Maureen Smith
Hi Brian, Had a call from my dealer (Nene Court Motorhomes at Wellingborough) to say that my new blind is ready for fitting. How's that for service! Maureen.

Still waiting for a phone call from my supplier to say where & when I can get them changed. Unfortunately my supplier is a 650 mile round trip. trying to get it done nearer home Trixie

Still waiting for a phone call from my supplier to say where & when I can get them changed. Unfortunately my supplier is a 650 mile round trip. trying to get it done nearer home Trixie

• 1 year later...

Michele

I assume your blinds are made by Remis?  Probably this affects those fitted to windscreen and cab side windows, but may possibly affect side windows and rooflights as well if from the same supplier.  Check all thoroughly!

Your argument will be with the supplier of your van, who should be fully aware of this problem by now (although, obviously, not yet of yours).  First port of call is them, to see what they say.  However, as this was a batch defect acknowledged as such by Remis, who has hitherto agreed to replace the affected items at their cost, your supplier should have to do no more than obtain the replacements.

I would expect them to do this via Swift, since they (presumably) fitted the blinds originally, and who in turn will have to get the replacements from Remis in Germany.  Therefore, expect the replacements to take some months to come through!

Probably the best you will be able to achieve initially, will be confirmations from all concerned that: a) they recognise the defect as valid, and: b) that they have the replacements on order.  Remis' mill grinds fine, but grinds exceeding slow!  They are OK but, like much of German industry, they go at one (DIN standard!) speed.  They just won't rush (because that leads to error, which is not to DIN standard), but they will get there.

If you get no joy from your supplier send me a p.m, and I'll see if I can offer any more help.

The Mk 2 blind is, in my opinion, an improvement on the original.  The windscreen blind is in two sections, that draw towards the centre from the A pillars, and the quarter light portions of the cab window blinds have been modified to improve how they close.  However, you have to remove the Fiat A pillar cover trim to fit the Mk 2 and you may wish to get someone else to do that.  Remis' instructions make it sound easy, but it involves snapping bits off, and ours didn't quite snap as Remis predicted!  It was OK (just), but could have been a bit of a mess if it had been a bit further off line.

Brian, your right as usual yes they are Remis blinds it's all over the place especially noticeable when putting the kettle on at the kitchen. Now I have it in my head i will have to look up . Sorry Brian that sounds silly but I was away with the girls a few weeks ago when I first noticed it . I never thought to look up and check the Heki ones. can some one please explain whats a Mark 1 mark 2 mean and which ones should I ask for or which ones should I be pleased at getting f any offered at all. I will e mail brownhills my contact in the hope that he will help and let you know how I get on .Q" if I sell it back and change for a new one will I have problems when selling it back ?.

[QUOTE]michele - 2007-03-04 9:59 PM Brian, your right as usual yes they are Remis blinds it's all over the place especially noticeable when putting the kettle on at the kitchen. Now I have it in my head i will have to look up . Sorry Brian that sounds silly but I was away with the girls a few weeks ago when I first noticed it . I never thought to look up and check the Heki ones. can some one please explain whats a Mark 1 mark 2 mean and which ones should I ask for or which ones should I be pleased at getting f any offered at all. I will e mail brownhills my contact in the hope that he will help and let you know how I get on .Q" if I sell it back and change for a new one will I have problems when selling it back ?.[/QUOTE]

Mk 1, Mk 2, read my last para above. 

Heki is not Remis. 

All new Remis are now Mk 2, you'll have no choice. 

If you want to sell you'll have to agree a price.  If Brownhills can fix the blinds at not cost to themselves, which they should be able to do, it shouldn't affect the trade in value - but only Brownhills can say.

Just for interest; we are now on our THIRD set of REMIS cab blinds. The first set were replaced by our local Hymer dealer for a second set of Mk 1 blinds - within a couple of months these too started to show signs of discolouration, we took it back to the dealer and they procured another set for me. To my surprise they were the Mk 2 type. They are a much smarter piece of kit althouth the "spoiler" fitted on the top rail of the front screen does impinge on the drivers view - but to be fair, the seats on the Exsis are a bit lower than on the normal Ducato and even at 6ft 3 I've never had an issue. Sadly, only a few weeks after fitting the drivers door screen went "off", but the others were fine. My friendly local dealer (3H in Heinsberg - Enlish speaking and I'm sure export no problem!) fitted a replacement during the water ingress check a couple of weeks ago. I trust that my blinds are now all of the newer material and that we've seen the last of the dreaded black bits!

Archived