Norfolk Line comedians

watsoa

Received an email from Norfolk Line about their Spring offer which allows a car with four passengers to travel anytime from 20/04/09 - 17/12/09 for £29.00 each way. There are no ammendment fees for changing times or dates of travel.

Wondered what the fare would be for a motorhome with 2 people - travelling out at the beginning of September and returning at the beginning of October.

Price was £460.00 - they obviously don't want our business anymore.

Alan W

watsoa - 2009-03-19 3:45 PM

Received an email from Norfolk Line about their Spring offer which allows a car with four passengers to travel anytime from 20/04/09 - 17/12/09 for £29.00 each way. There are no ammendment fees for changing times or dates of travel.

Wondered what the fare would be for a motorhome with 2 people - travelling out at the beginning of September and returning at the beginning of October.

Price was £460.00 - they obviously don't want our business anymore.

Alan W

Or they want you to take two more people with you. More customers for 'on-board shopping' ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

While booking various crossing’s this year I have found them very expensive. considering the lack of freight traffic this is downright funny peculiar!

Looked the other day for a weekend August bank holiday to go to Dusseldorf show and they were as expensive as the tunnel! *-)

P&O offer consistently the best fares IMO

We used them for our half-term break last month - when I booked at Christmas they were cheapest at £54 return (MH +2).

We also used them for one of our trip last year - I'd need to check which - but we use Seafrance far more often. We usually go for cheapest available at the time of booking!

This summer we're heading East so using Harwich-Hook service. By next trip, there may have been some "rationalisation," if news on Mondo's "Channel Ferries" thread is accurate.

Guest Tracker

Who cares who charges what and when as there is always someone prepared to give a decent price - all you gotta do is find 'em!

Just look on a ferry fare comparison website or get one of the clubs to get you a quote or two and go for whoever offers best value on the day.

It does not seem to matter when you book early or late as the best price structure seems to hold no logic - perhaps it is run by blondes?

As I live in Suffolk, Harwich is my closest port for the continent. It is also the base for Stena ferries , and they accept Tesco vouchers.

For those not familiar with Tesco points, you get four times their face value when used in a "deal"

Last December I went from Harwich to the Hook of Holland for our ten day trip round the German Christmas markets.

The fare was about £240 which included night cabin(£20) going out, day cabin (£10) coming home and two prebooked dinners (2 x £12) going out.

This cost me £60 of tesco vouchers.

We used to shop at Sainsburys, but never knew what to use Nectar points on, so last year we changed to Tesco just for the points.

You can get Tesco Clubcard Plus, which gives you double points. but that works like a Debit card.

I realise Harwich is not convenient for many campervanners, but using Vouchers is like getting the voyage for free, and you get a good nights sleep, to start your holiday.

Bill

As a frequent user received a special offer for travel from Sea France. Clicked the link into their booking site and the special offer code was already in the box. Price £161.

Then started again, this time without the special offer code. Price was £161

Tested the chunnel prices who hoo - no thanks

P&O same dates and times £87.

What would you do?

C.

gasgobill - 2009-03-19 7:03 PM

As I live in Suffolk, Harwich is my closest port for the continent. It is also the base for Stena ferries , and they accept Tesco vouchers.

For those not familiar with Tesco points, you get four times their face value when used in a "deal"

Last December I went from Harwich to the Hook of Holland for our ten day trip round the German Christmas markets.

The fare was about £240 which included night cabin(£20) going out, day cabin (£10) coming home and two prebooked dinners (2 x £12) going out.

This cost me £60 of tesco vouchers.

We used to shop at Sainsburys, but never knew what to use Nectar points on, so last year we changed to Tesco just for the points.

You can get Tesco Clubcard Plus, which gives you double points. but that works like a Debit card.

I realise Harwich is not convenient for many campervanners, but using Vouchers is like getting the voyage for free, and you get a good nights sleep, to start your holiday.

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We save our Tesco vouchers and managed to MOT all three of our vehicles at Nationwide Autocentres, paid for entirely with them. We also use them to get restaurant vouchers and have just bought RAC home, roadside, recovery and onward travel, all paid in full with Tesco vouchers. Brilliant!

:-D

hI ALL, we used norfolk line for years when moving thinks to france with a trailer etc, we live in exmouth and the house is in normandy just outside bayeux, even taking in the diesel etc it was so much cheaper with no add ons for being early or late and open ended tickets, just great, then when they got their new ships up went the prices, so we are back with the pool run,

just booked for end of this month one way with 4x4 and trailer and 2 dogs, price £199, even the cost of taking the two pugs as gone up, last time I used the pool run, there must of been 20 people on board, I just don,t understand why they ask so much and then run empty.

michael

Hi,

Sea France still have their Carnet on offer for multiple trips. 6 trips/3 returns with minimal restrictions at £192;£64 return. I'm on my second Carnet and very happy with it. You can give one trip to a friend or relative so as long as you are doing two trips it works out very cheap and very convenient as you are not looking at late night sailings to get the price down. Works for me.

Bill Ord

Guest JudgeMental
dikyenfo - 2009-03-20 12:35 PM

All very strange I have booked Norfolkline out 20th April return July 11th cost of MH + trailer 39 quid each way. Whats wrong with that???? Mind you its a bit of a redeye but you have a bed on board have'n't you?

There is nothing wrong with that........But some of us have children and still work so stuck with peak time travel, and at these times Norfolk want as much money as the tunnel *-)

dikyenfo - 2009-03-20 12:35 PM

All very strange I have booked Norfolkline out 20th April return July 11th cost of MH + trailer 39 quid each way. Whats wrong with that???? Mind you its a bit of a redeye but you have a bed on board have'n't you?

Bed .. yes ... but you can't ruddy well use it can you on the ferry, not like Eurotunnel where you can kip if you want to. :-D

We have used Norfolk line for several years but doubt we will again in a hurry. Firstly the price has sky-rocketed and quite often runs only part full. Secondly when coming home last September, the state of the boat - both in the restaurant area - food all over the floor, and the state of the toilets was disgusting and you can use your imagination on what I mean there. I know they can't keep everything spotless, but alot of this dirt was not recent if you get my drift - weeks old rather than todays.

I don't understand it. On the 24th February I booked the 1800 ferrry on April 5th for two people and a 6.5 m. motorhome which cost £26.51 for one way. Can't be bad and far far cheaper than Brittany Ferries Plymouth-Roscoff route.

I understand that the shipping lines have a computer which is programmed with a sales graph of time to sailing verses ticket sales that should be sold at any particular time before a sailing. If sales are up on what is required the price goes up and if sales are down the computer lowers the price to get the extra bookings. If the extra bookings come in quickly say a matter of hours then the price goes up again.

This seems to account for my reasonable price and my friends costing an extra £100 Ports/Bilbao and booked close together.

But of course someone out there may know better ????

We came over to the UK yesterday. There were no other motorhomes overnighting in the car park, only one came off at Dunkerque and we were the only one on the crossing to Dover. All very unusual.

Then I remembered the prices we were quoted on the Norfolkline website when we were booking the crossing. They were high, especially when the length surcharge was added. About 90 GBP one way.

Went on the CC website and booked the same crossing for 30.60 GBP. I thought the CC discount was only supposed to be about 10%!!

Archived