Which 12-volt tyre-pump?

Derek Uzzell

Derek Uzzell - 2009-04-20 7:39 AM

Graham

I'm wary that the external socket on your motorhome would be man enough to power a tyre pump safely. Most submerged water-pumps require well under 2A of 12V power and the most powerful one I'm aware of requires no more than 5A, which is less than half the requirement for the tyre pump I've just bought. As your motorhome's socket is not intended for powering accessories other than a water-pump, there's the risk that the cabling from battery to socket may be insufficiently robust to tolerate a tyre-pump's amperage.

Very good point Derek, thanks.

I've had a look at the wiring diagram but can't even identify the external socket on it. To say it's not the best wiring diagram in the world is a lot of an understatement :-D

Graham

I connected my new RAC700 to the 20amp socket on my Murvi and after a few seconds it blew it

Further investigations revaled that the fuse was 15amp (good old Fiat!!)

Re placing it with a correct 20amp fuse and all was well....

Moral..... it really does need a 20amp socket

Ring say its 12v and 12amp .............hmmmmmm

john

Derek Uzzell - 2009-04-20 7:39 AM

BrianR

The Ring RAC-700 pump requires a 12V power-supply rated at 12A minimum.

Thanks for that information, Derek. Presumably the later post about the 15 amp fuse blowing is an illustration of the point made in an earlier post about cheap fuses being unreliable.

BrianR - 2009-04-20 8:43 PM

Thanks for that information, Derek. Presumably the later post about the 15 amp fuse blowing is an illustration of the point made in an earlier post about cheap fuses being unreliable.

I guess we can be fairly confident that Fiat will not skimp on the quality of fuse fitted as original equipment to Ducatos. However, John's experience does suggest that it will worthwhile for a Ducato owner to confirm, before hooking up a tyre-pump to a dashboard socket, that the fuse protecting that socket is appropriately rated.

There's also the possibility that a fuse may be protecting more than one circuit and the combined load may lead one astray as far as the necessary fusing is concerned. According to Ford's handbook, the 20A and 10A dashboard sockets in my Transit have dedicated fuses, but one never knows, especially if a DIY-er has got at the original circuitry (eg the fuse that protects the 10A socket on my Transit now does double-duty protecting the reversing-camera system I fitted).

Although the RAC-700 pump is claimed to draw a maximum of 12A (144W) of 12V power (so should be OK with a 15A fuse) I've gained the impression that tyre-pumps can 'surge' quite significantly on start up and that all dashboard sockets are not necessarily created equal. My first pump worked fine from the 10A socket in my own car, but immediately blew a fuse when I tried using it in my wife's new Golf. The 10A fuse that protected the Golf's cigar-lighter socket also protected the radio-cassette player, so that probably didn't help either.

Archived