Australia Motorhome Hire?

AnnPaul

Hi, Try Austravel for the fares, and vehicle hire.

We used them a few years ago, and hired a car Cairns to Sydney, and prepaid vouchers for B&B en route. Took a coolbox and bought picnic food at Woolies each day for lunch, and evening meals at stopovers.

Total cost cheaper than campervan and less hassle with washing up etc. Plenty b&b places and each stop was willing to phone ahead for next stop booking.

However you do it , enjoy it.

tonyg3nwl

Never hired a motor home out there but go as often as we can.Austravel is a good coy,We sometimes use it to book flights when they have offers.The "cheapest" way is to go to Ozz and book when you arrive or do it direct on line with such as Maui or Britz. We don't book anywhere,just get on a flight and then use the bus/sunshine coach or car hire [internet booking!]Rates obtained direct are in many cases 40/50% cheaper than brochure prices.

My experiences are only in Queensland but I guess it will be much the same in each state.I can get a cheap car hire[Hertz] and stop at many sites in excellent cabins near beautiful beaches for decent prices.

I know my ramblings will not solve the Motorvan problem but hopefully show you its easy out there with no language problems and drivingon the correct side of the road!

on a site that seems to have a lot of motor van fun one Australian is advertising his motor home as available fully kitted out for a tourist,whilst he goes on hol elsewhere,,?

have a great time

Hi Paul and Ann

We used Apollo in Sydney to hire a six-berth motorhome in 2007. The service (pre and post the hire) was great, and the motorhome itself was fine - in fact it was brand new on the latest Transit chassis. Came with everything we needed for a week's touring - which, as you may imagine, didn't get us very far in a country the size of Australia!

Opting for a Euro-style motorhome meant we were restricted to normal metalled roads, but again within the limits of time available that didn't cause us any bother. It might be something you want to look into, though, as some of the more interesting bits of Oz are only reachable by dirt roads.

We were surprised to find that barbecues were not permitted on any of the sites we stayed at (can you believe that!) but each site had its own gas-fired communal barbie for people to use. Many of these were pretty pathetic affairs though, to be honest.

We also found Australian towns, or at least the ones we went to or through, to be pretty lack-lustre. Individual houses were great, but the towns themselves are no architectural gems. I found the Aussie beer undrinkable, but maybe that's just me! Wine was fine though.

Be prepared for long, as in very, very long, distances between places of interest. For example, we drove for a full 10 hours from the Blue Mountains out to the coast through scenery that consisted of wall-to-wall gum trees.

In summary, we found it a fascinating country to visit but not one we could possibly live in for all sorts of reasons - ie no dogs allowed in most campsites, or on most beaches.

We also realised that three weeks (we also spent a week in Sydney and a week basically getting there and back) was nowhere near long enough.

Just wish it was as near as France, then we'd definitely go back. I'm sure you'll have a great time in six weeks and be able to get a far more accurate impression of Oz than we did.

Archived