laybys

clay

kelly58 - 2009-03-29 5:28 PM
mendipman - 2009-03-25 12:34 PM (?) Whats a Priveleged Pensioner (?) (?)

Someone like me who has worked hard saved hard and was able to call it a day before I was 60 now every day is my or our day without having to answer to anyone and every Monday is a bank holiday just get up when you like go where you like and think sod the rest of the world this is the life great innit http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

Yes I too have done all those things.Unfortunately for me and countless others I am from an era that has seen Final Salary Pensions been terminated, MIRAS tax relief been abolished,Endowment Mortgages go down the pan and the 'Government' increasing the State Retirement age to name but a few!!!!On top of that we are now in a recession, so any savings we may have had will more than likely to worthless in the near future.Unfortunately the 'work hard, save hard' ethic no longer holds any credibility in my view.Call me 'bitter and twisted' if you like 'cos I b****y well am !!I do not begrudge you reaping the benefits of your labours.I just wish it could have been the same for me and others like me who have worked just as hard as anyone else, but through no fault of our own have seen all our efforts go down the 'swanny'My only saving grace is that they cannot take my health away from me can they ? I hope and pray that I can keep that for as long as possible.Sorry to go off thread a bit.

I live within a few miles of the M6 in the Midlands and every layby and rough plot of land around it are full of lorries staying overnight from late afternoon onwards. They are also parked on industrial estates and side roads in the town.

There are two service areas close by so I assume it is a question of cost.

I expect some of the drivers have to stop because their driving hours are up so they could not move even if they were requested to do so.

As some one as already said ,lorries must be treated differently to motorhomes (and caravans) as they are always there and never seem to get moved on.

Lorries are exempt due to law regarding driver hours, and the fact that they are not specifically designed for habitation and cooking. They are the facilities, but their main use is cargo.

MH/caravans used to be able to stop anywhere, but as they became more popular, people were staying all over the show! In farmers feilds, by the roadside etc, so a law was brought in which prohibited that.

There are lay-bys on routes which will allow overnight stops without question, some you need to use common sense. Other will state no overnight stopping.

If you are drinking roadside - your keys need to be outside the vehicle. If you put them in a magnetic key safe underneath, roll the tyre over the ignition key, shove them up the exhaust or whatever. As long as they are not in the vehicle or on a person, then there is little the police can do. You are not in posession of the keys to start the vehicle! Also they cannot ask you to move on......that in itself would be committing an offence.

Rainbow-Chasers' - 2009-03-30 2:51 PM

MH/caravans used to be able to stop anywhere, but as they became more popular, people were staying all over the show! In farmers feilds, by the roadside etc, so a law was brought in which prohibited that.

Can you, or anyone else, give us chapter and verse on that law? The law here in the UK seems to be much less clear than in France (easy) or Holland (tough).

But as far as drink is concerned, I make sure I'm legal to drive unless I'm parked somewhere which is positively designated for overnighting. So on a campsite, or a French Aire, or a UK car park which EXPLICITLY permits overnight stops, or priveate land where I have permission, I'll have a drink, but anywhere else I won't, even if I'm fairly sure it's OK to stay. You never can tell, and my licence is precious to me!

Tony Jones - 2009-03-30 3:05 PM [............, or a UK car park which EXPLICITLY permits overnight stops, ............

One can but agree, Tony.  However, regarding the above part quote, for complete certainty you would need to check that any such car park did not constitute part of the highway.  I accept that it is very unlikely, but in the event that the police required you to move on, for instance to allow the car park to be used for emergency access, you might still be in the soup.  The expressed permission to use the car park overnight would not override their right to tell you to shift.  I believe this may apply to motorway services parking areas, for instance, where the police seem to have full jurisdiction, despite the management of the service areas being in private hands.  It would need a very officious officer to take this line, but they are not all sweetness and light.

Brian Kirby - 2009-03-30 6:55 PM

One can but agree, Tony. However, regarding the above part quote, for complete certainty you would need to check that any such car park did not constitute part of the highway. I accept that it is very unlikely, but in the event that the police required you to move on, for instance to allow the car park to be used for emergency access, you might still be in the soup. The expressed permission to use the car park overnight would not override their right to tell you to shift.  I believe this may apply to motorway services parking areas, for instance, where the police seem to have full jurisdiction, despite the management of the service areas being in private hands.  It would need a very officious officer to take this line, but they are not all sweetness and light.

I'm not arguing at all Brian but wouldn't such police powers apply anywhere in an emergency? For instance, it might be necessary to evacuate a camp site in the event of fire or flood.

Better to play safe and do as I do - I drink and Jill drives :-)

Graham

" Laybys, and verges, are all all part of the "highway" and, as such, are subject to the same laws that govern the carriageway "

Unless the layby is more than 15mtrs from the higway (?) then the same rules do not apply (?)

I seem to remember reading this somewhere. BUT, I could be wrong, again *-)

Tony Jones - 2009-03-30 3:05 PM

Rainbow-Chasers' - 2009-03-30 2:51 PM

Can you, or anyone else, give us chapter and verse on that law? The law here in the UK seems to be much less clear than in France (easy) or Holland (tough).

The caravan sites and development act 1960.

This made it law that anywhere a caravan was to be sited had to be a certified location (CL) and prohibited use of any old field/lay-by etc unless it had a licence to do so. Back in those days, anyone could stay anywhere as long as the locals didn't mind - some even charged a few bob to stop in a fallow field. I wasn't there.....i just know lots of useless info!

This basically made it illegal to pitch any camping vehicle anywhere you fancied, in favour of special locations/camp sites that had a licence.

It also caused some egyptians problems as it stopped them buying land and wintering without a licence and planning permission. In 1969, it was modified that councils had to provide transit camps, or sites where they could stay.

Tony Jones - 2009-03-31 8:50 AM

Interesting - so how does that relate to places where Councils explicitly allow (and charge for) overnighting in town car parks, or Park & Rides? Or pubs who let me overnight in the car park after a meal?

Or would I rather not know?? :-(

Looking at the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 I would think that pubs would need a licence unless their land was used for less that 28 days a year, when paragraph 2 of the First Schedule would probably give them the necessary exemption.

In the case of local authority car parks/P&Rs, paragraph 11 of the First Schedule probably applies:

11. A site licence shall not be required for the use as a caravan site of land occupied by the local authority in whose area the land is situated.

Graham

So the council car parks are OK, and in the case of the occasional use of pub car parks it's a case of "I won't tell 'em if you don't!"

I can live with that.

But looking at this question, along with recent questions about speed limits, and "restrictive covenants" applying to driveways, it seems we're sometimes cars, sometimes vans, sometimes caravans, depending which bit of the law is being discussed.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the same simple law as the French. There, a "camping-car" is a car, and explicitly NOT a caravan. It can do whatever a car can do, and stay overnight wherever a car can stay overnight, and what you do inside it is no-one else's business! You can cheerfully ignore signs which say "No caravans," and you only risk breaking laws there if you start putting out furniture or winding out awnings.

Oh, well, a man can dream ...

stantheman - 2009-03-29 5:17 PM

'....priveleged (sic) pensioner bracket'? Do I sense a touch of bitterness, Rapido-lass? God willing, your turn will come!

Hi Mike,

I just wish that I could be out their exploring now with no time limit, so if anything it's envy not bitterness, and the priveleged pensioner status is purely time factor not a financial one. I'll have to wait my time I know, but there's no harm in dreaming of having the time whilst waiting!

As a newcomer I am naive and ignorant and therefore able to take the view I can do it providing I am not adversely affecting anyone else, and untill someone (in authority) tells me otherwise. We are obsessed with rules and regulations in this country.

Porky well fed and happy to be looking forward to freedom

Guest Tracker

Does the law in the UK differentiate between 'parking' as in stopping for a few hours without siting as in putting out awnings chairs etc., and 'camping' as in setting up to stay for a day or more with all that it can entail?

A motorhome is the only form of camping that is possible without 'putting down roots' and as such when does 'parking' as in having a kip in a layby, become camping?

The two definitions seem to occur in many European countries and parking is allowed, or at least tolerated, as long as common sense applies as to where and how long for you do it for?

Bob Elswood - 2009-03-31 5:23 PM

Porky - 2009-03-31 4:24 PM

We are obsessed with rules and regulations in this country.

You had better get used to it!!! 'cos there will be a whole lot more if this Government get their way !!!

Sorry Porky,

My comments came over to look at little agressive to a say the least !!

I did not mean it to look that way lol !!!

You are forgiven Bob. If only this sort of courtesy could be adopted on all threads. On the subject of rules and regulations I am reminded of the different approach of our European cousins. I heard that in Newlyn, one of our few remaining fishing ports, there are three Fisheries inspectors. In the whole of Spain there are only three and they are in Madrid!!!!

Porky well fed and happy

Archived