Autocruise Starburst / Starlet II

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Can any one please advise the exact location of the bike rack mounting points for a previous model Boxer / Alko chassis Starburst or Starlet II (same van) please?

Autocruise (aka Swift Group) are most unhelpful - a point that I will bear in mind when I next change vans!

Many thanks.

Considering the risk and cost to rectify if you get it wrong, I recommend a visit to your local dealer then it is their problem to ensure the correct mounting points and provided that they guarantee the work you cannot loose. My local Marquis charge £50/hour +Vat so that is not too much of a premium for guaranteed peace of mind. You should be able to source the rack yourself, just tell them that you have the rack and want them to fit it.

If they supply and fit you are probably looking at £200/240.

Always Caveat Emptor.

Mike

Guest Tracker

Thanks Mike.

I already have the rack and the fixing brackets and my nearest dealer - in whom I have absolutely no confidence is about 45 miles away!

This is not a technically demanding job and is well within my DIY ability as well as being a job which I have done several times before - on Auto Sleepers - who were always most helpful with dimensions in the past.

Tracker

Which are you referring to as the previous model? I have the drawing for the 2008 Starburst/Renoir rear wall which I am assured is the same as the Starlet II. There are no mounting points as such, just larger timber sections to bolt through.

If this would be any good to you I could copy the drawing and email it.

Ron

Guest Tracker

Thanks Ron.

My van is on the previous model Boxer and is a pre Swift Autocruise model.

If yours is a post Swift Autocruise on a new Ducato there may well be constructional differences.

I've used an electronic stud finder and have found some internal woodwork but there is nowt that I can find around the middle of the back panel level with the loo window (which has a nice strong internal wooden frame around it).

There is plenty of support up each outer edge and along the lower part where the rear light panel overlaps, but again nowt in t'middle or to the left of centre where the top LHS mounting bracket would need to go.

Hi Tracker,

I required this info for thee rear panel of my Valentine, and fortunately got the drawing from Autocruise, before the administration.

I am not surprised that Swift were unhelpful, as they are noted for this atitude, and do not want to know about original Autocruise models.

I would suggest speaking to South Yorkshire Caravans, as they were one of the first Autocruise dealers, being based near to the factory, and had a very close relationship.

Otherwise try "The Autocruisers" club - some club member may have contact with Factory management, or staff from before the takeover.

Best wishes

Ken

Tracker.

If you look on Westcountrymotorhomes web site, they have a Starburtst 2005 for sale. They show pictures of the interier and one of them shows the toilet room and you can see the bike rack fittings inside the rear wall. Might give you an idea as to where you have to fit the rack. I Only know because I am thinking of buying it. Mike.

Tracker

The person you really need to contact is Richard Bentley, late of Autocruise development section, and a more helpful person you couldn't wish to meet. He left Autocruise around the time of the take over but someone on the forum might know where he went. Alternatively, the Autocruise Owners Club will probably know.

He would be able to tell you if the current rear panel measurements are the same as the previous model but, if not, would be able to give you some guidance.

Mike's suggestion above is OK but people do tent to fit accessories in some funny places so watch it.

Autocruise never did make it easy toi fit a rear rack did they?

Ron

Richard

Why not, instead, get a rack that can be attached to your nice new shiney rear bumper? It wouldn't take much to fabricate some brackets and you could then get one of the type that slots into them - these are the type that usually slot into a plate fixed around a towball. See below for some ideas - it would save you having to make holes in the back of your van with the added benefit that you can put it on and remove it as required - especially useful if you need to reduce your length for cheaper ferry crossings etc.

http://legacy2.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet2.asp?Rack=Tow%20Bar%20Rack

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/towbar-cycle-bike-racks.htm

There's also load on ebay!

:-D

Tracker, I had an Omni cycle rack fitted to my Starburst by Autocruise prior to delivery. This was when they were a really helpful company who would do specific mods for you. Richard Bentley was worth his wait in gold. Far too good for Swift! I wanted the rack mounted as low as possible for easy stowage. Two of the mounts come into the shower/bathroom area but it is easy to put some sealant around the fitting and there is a plastic cover over the fittings. I am not aware whether or not there are specific wood members but with the spreader plates on the inside walls I have not experienced any problems carrying 2 cycles . I am going to try and send you a diagram of where my rack is mounted. It is just above the lower stying panel which carries all the light clusters.

Tried attaching picture twice but got a server error each time. If you email me I will send you the picture that way. Regards, Colin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-04-14 6:39 PM

Richard - did you get sorted chuck? :-D

Er yes - well - sort of?

With help from others I figured out where and how the bike rack should be mounted - which was just as I had suspected - but I prefer to be sure before I start drilling holes!

However as we only really need a bike rack to take a back box when we go on long duration trips for all that clobber that we never knew we needed until we have not got it, if you know what I mean, it can wait until closer to the next one which may well be early next year - unless we decide otherwise that is!

So that's where we are at just now and unless things change they will stay the same - but thanks for asking - do you now wish that you hadn't asked?

Guest Tracker
ron. - 2009-04-16 12:09 PM

Richard

Quote - "I used to be indecisive, but know I'm not so sure" or something like that! (lol)

Thanks Ron.

Apathy rules - OK - but why should I care?

Archived