70,s licence

mendipman

Hi, No is the answer. I sent off medical forms and application 2 months before my renewal was due, and licence finally arrived after several email chasers 2 weeks after my 70th . Other half had to act as taxi driver till it all came through.

Best thing to do is to download forms from internet, and if you want or need full licence for over 3.5 ton vehicle, get your medical sorted asap, send off application and chase via email about a week before you need new licence. be prepared for delays. Good Luck

tonyg3nwl

Seems very variable. Both my wife and I had reminders in good time and received the licence itself withn a week and Tony, I think the notes tell you that so long as your application is with DVLA you can drive even though you have returned the licence to DVLA and do not actually have a licence in your pocket.

May I just go off thread please? I have my new licence but didn't even attempt to keep my grandmother's rights (diabetic) but, when comparing my new licence with that of my daughter's, I noticed that she has a whole line of letters whereas now I just have B and BE. Is this what everyone ends up with in the same situation? I have kept a copy of my original (well it's not really as it only goes back to 1972 not 1960) but can't locate it at the moment.

Don't get too excited about the 90 days. I checked my licence recently and found it was out of date by 4 years! This wasn't queried by Swansea and I just did what was required for a new one.

Fortunately I was never asked for the licence or had any accidents or I could have been in poop street. This 'free driving time' included driving all over Europe as well.

I don't recall ever being sent a reminder. Having reached 80 they probably presumed I had died!

Hi,

I sent off my application for a 70+ licence. A fortnight later, DVLA wrote asking me to give them permission to contact my doctor, and fill in a medical declaration.

I hate forms like that, they never seem to be designed with me in mind. Do their questions relate to my Subjural Haematoma (drilled a hole in my head last February), or do they want to know about my apendix from about 10 years ago? What started off as a beautifully block capital reply finished up as a scrawl.

I pointed out that they had had evertything they needed a year ago, and that I didn't understand some of the medical terms they used.

I received my licence three weeks after that, with most of the groups I was expecting/wanted, but no Quadricycle or Tricycle. Two days later I got a letter saying I could continue to drive.

Archived