Dogs, France and vets ??

Den

A while ago the subject of vets was discussed with a web site address. I've done a search and come up blank !!

we always travel euro tunnel, so any advice tel No's etc would be appreciated. (traveling in May )

Thanks Dennis

We used a Vet at Marquis we stayed at Les Erables Escalles and it was only about a 20min drive its beside a Supermarket so easy to park and then stayed the last night at the Aire in Calais. An English lady on site made an appointment for us but we turned up early and went straight in no problem! it was our first trip abroad with dog and had spent the last couple of weeks worrying :-S there really is no need it ended up straight forward, they spoke perfect English and asked what time we were going back through the Tunnel to make sure we had the time scale right.

Oh and the booster it tells you on your pet passport how long it is valid to we asked our Vet to make sure just last week when we were there Teddy had his jab Oct 2007 so he is due again Oct 2009 some are saying three years but my Vet didnt know about that so I intend to find out on our return this year when we check back in.

Den - 2009-03-25 6:26 PM

A while ago the subject of vets was discussed with a web site address. Thanks Dennis

I wonder if this is the web address that you remember: www.pagesjaunes.fr

This allows you to search for 'veterinaires' in which town or departement you want. There will be a map so that you can locate the vet's position easily and phone/fax numbers. Usually the nearer you are to Calais the dearer the vet so try to find one up to two day's drive away. I sometimes use one in the Auvergne but more usually one in Pont-de-l'Arche which is 5 minutes from the campsite. Lovely spot, olde worlde town, cheap, great to walk the dog along the river etc. If you want more help pm me.

naittaw - 2009-03-26 10:45 AM

We have used Dr Christianne Petry at 1148 Boulevarde Charles de Gaulle in Calais. You can park at the door. She knows the ropes, speaks English. Easy.

i'll put that address in my log book sounds about right for when we take our first plunge this year

clay - 2009-03-26 9:36 PM

naittaw - 2009-03-26 10:45 AM

We have used Dr Christianne Petry at 1148 Boulevarde Charles de Gaulle in Calais. You can park at the door. She knows the ropes, speaks English. Easy.

i'll put that address in my log book sounds about right for when we take our first plunge this year

Hi Clay - just a couple of points, you'll pay more by using a Calais vet and also you'll then have to kick your heels in Calais for at least 24 hours ... I can think of better places to be!

Couldn't agree more Mel - just as I pointed out in my post above. I was really stung some years ago at a vet's near Le Touquet - never again. I now have one or two vets that I visit regularly but if I needed to find another one I would always enquire prices beforehand. Also like you I would not wish to stay in Calais for over 24 hours although I used to visit Calais regularly some years ago. I really like the town, site and vet (who tells me he speaks some English) at Pont-de-l'Arche. There is a lovely market, real olde worlde shops and restaurants, lovely walks along the river and often some activity going on in the vicinity. If you are worried about speaking French there are usually lots of English people there some of whom would translate for you. The warden is charming and welcomes English visitors. It's not too far from Calais either if you want to spend the last night there although I usually use the aire at Le Touquet - just a nice way to finish off the trip.

Hi This could be the link you are looking for giving vets in Europe.

link - http://freespace.virgin.net/passports.forpets/Vets%20in%20Europe.htm

We used the one south of Poiters last year, Small town with campsite at end of road, and you can park outside the vets door in the main street. I cant understand people going to vets in Calais who are expensive and then having to sit there for 24hours waiting before you can leave, it doesn't make any common sense. - OK everybody to their own!

We just rang up and made an appointment while we were in france, they spoke English and it wasn't a problem. Cost 28euros we supplied Drontal and frontline.

Michael

Thank You to all

We have booked campinglachaumirer. This one had been mentioned to us some time ago, but Peter's posting brought it to out attention. So thank you Peter, and again to all whom posted. (lol)

Den - 2009-03-29 5:26 PM

Thank You to all

We have booked campinglachaumirer. This one had been mentioned to us some time ago, but Peter's posting brought it to out attention. So thank you Peter, and again to all whom posted. (lol)

Can I ask How much is it per night +dog? I couldnt believe my eyes!!! :-S I must be wrong.

Well I've not received notification or the price. I can only hope the prices on the w.site are incorrect or else the dogs and OK the wife will have to join the queue with the Calais immigrants. So if you see another posting asking for more recommendations you will know the prices are correct on the w'site. 8-)

Looking at the W.site of La Chaumiere a Buysscheure it initially looked expensive. On booking the cost for 2 nights incl our 2 dogs is £40.89.Not as much as i first thought .The site was recommended by Peter and a gentleman we met in a layby on our return from the Dusseldorf show last year. It looks good from the W.site. We booked yesterday evening and have received an email confirming our booking and the vet booking for the Monday morning in time for our return Tuesday.

Dennis

Try not to stay on sites in France so don't incur those costs. However vets consultation fees now seem to be around 25/27E plus a cost for signing, plus worm and tick treatment. This now often comes to around the mid 40'sE. You can save costs on having your own worm and tick treatment with you. If you've been to Spain these are cheaper there than either France or the UK. Vets further South of Calais appear cheaper, we once had our dog done cheaply in Germany and then drove to Dunkirk using the time allowed (up to 48hrs) rather than kicking our heels at the port.

Hi Tony

We like you do not normally use sites, but on this occasion taking the dogs for the first time we thought we would use the said site. The owners wife works at the vet' practise and has made all the arrangements. We are taking our own supplies (A friend of ours has his own practise). So should be cost price.

We normally use aires and the occasional small site costing 7 or 8 euros. So this is the most we've ever paid, but for the service provided and the fishing (bonus for me) its not so bad.

Usually the nearer you are to Calais the dearer the vet so try to find one up to two day's drive away.

Aren't you cutting it a bit fine at two days ?

'Your pet must be treated against ticks and tapeworms not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.' - DEFRA website.

I've use a vet (same one) in Brugge for the last 4 years, then an overnight stop nearer the port / tunnel.

We've used a vet in Brugge a couple of times too, if were're returning that way - can't remember his name at the mo though! BUT we did find that we had to make sure that he used the right treatments as the first time unfortunately he used an 'unofficial' version ... we didn't find out until we had the vet check done by our usual vet at Ardres on our next trip who told us ... pet passport control didn't pick it up!! 8-)

I have been living in France for over 20 years and we return to the UK at least once or twice a year to attend RAF functions. We always travel on the very easy Eurotunnel service as our rescued dog can travel with us in the motorhome for the comfortable and no hassle 35 minute crossing.

ALL controls are made at the port of departure.

On arrival, you just drive away (keeping on the correct side of the road)

Going out to France there are no pet controls, but do keep your Pet Passport handy for the odd check in Spain for example. See Pet Passport: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4000019?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Expatriates

Check and understand all the links on the above site before you leave the UK.

Your FIRST rabies vaccinations and blood checks take a long time to become valid.

Check that your rabies remains valid during your travel.

If the rabies expires, even by one day, one has to start from the beginning again and the six month delay before your animal can enter the UK (without paying for quarantine kennels).

The problem is the British control at the French departure point.

On arriving by the free autorout A16, follow the signs to the Eurotunnel (exit 42a or 42b depending on your direction) and watching out for the locals, especially the big trucks alongside you on the racetrack.

When you arrive at what looks like a ‘péage’ (toll booth) which is the check in for the tunnel procedures, JUST BEFORE on your RIGHT there is the symbol for the UK PET CONTROLL.

Go in there (open 24 hours) and have your animal and papers checked.

If ahead of time (as we usually are arriving from the Côte d’Azur we allow an extra day) one can sleep safely with one’s camper in the control area until your Pet Passport becomes valid.

NOW pay attention to the 24-48 hour ‘time slot’ allowed for your wormed & fleaed animal paper PROPERLY SIGNED by a French vet. We have met several people where there have been problems as the French vet did not correctly fill in the certificate and sign and stamp it.

If you have complied with ALL the UK Pet Passport regulations, and are within the ‘time slot’ with a correctly filled in local form, then there are no problems.

Outside the busy holiday season, if you are early, the multi-lingual veterinary assistants can check to see if there is a space for you to take an earlier crossing at no extra charge should you wish.

Local vet fees can vary, and vets are seldom available at weekends we have been told.

BOOK your vet IN ADVANCE.

One address is a vet (she speaks a little English):

Dr. Pétry, 1148 Boulevard du Général de Gaulle, Calais, 62100, France.

Tel: (France +33) (0)3 21 34 77 39.

Price for a dog was 40 Euros (depending on size)

Hours: 8:30 to 12:00. 14:00 to 19:00 Monday to Friday.

Saturday 8:30 to 12:00. Sunday you are stuck!

Driving in France:

It is now compulsory to have an EU approved yellow safety jacket and red triangle.

In Spain you have to have TWO of each and they do check and for your excess vehicle weight.

Radar speed checks are producing such a huge profit, thanks to the always hot-footed locals, that speed cameras (automatic fixed & mobile) have sprouted like mushrooms.

Drivers, don’t risk using a mobile phone on the move.

Don’t get caught over the alcohol limit.

The yellow at traffic lights means STOP (because the French habitually did not).

And when you get the green, don’t assume that the others have not jumped their red light.

Remember, France has been going broke for years, so drivers are easy money for the government.

One big problem is the French are so ill-mannered that using their direction indicators was never in fashion – hell on busy roundabouts. The police feel that they can break all the rules – and they do. Cycling is a mad passion in France, at weekends they are all over the road, so if you hit one, no matter what the circumstances, you in a vehicle are automatically considered at fault, and as a foreigner you have no chance of justice. (As a journalist filming animal abuse and traffic in many remote parts of the world, the British Embassy never gave me any help, with the exception of one nice man in Kathmandu.)

GASSING, is becoming more common, especially for people stopping at motorway and truck services overnight, and near ports we hear. We have just fitted a gas alarm and extra locks.

Take care if you are waved down to stop or assist, pick up hitch-hikers etc.

There is a growing problem with organised gangs on main roads, more in the north and towards the Spanish boarder we hear.

Never leave the car, even for a minute, with the key in the ignition.

Watch if you do stop that some accomplice does not stick a knife in your tyres, especially caravanners.

We never leave our dog unattended in a vehicle – they can be stolen.

We always enjoy the open spaces of France and camp out of sight in the peace and quiet of the wild, or in a small village.

For some stopping sites explore this: http://www.eurocampingcar.com/carte.php3?envoi=uk1010000

Hint: Buy a cheap plastic watering can so that you can fill with fresh water from the tap that is always available in a cemetery (not legal, but then if you smile and don’t speak the lingo, should you fall across one of the natives, they are seldom hostile).

French garages don’t have water, but you can fill at the ‘Aire des deux caps’, Service Total on the A16 going towards Boulogne, 12 km from the tunnel. For air you need to ask for the high pressure truck air pump to get up to 5.5 Bar/kg. Most car pumps won’t go above 4 bar/kg.

Michelin Agilis XC ‘camping’ tyres are usually to special order, the new tread form has better rolling ability and contact, so don’t mix them on the same axel.

This might be of interest: http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=63477

Under 3.5 ton, your vehicle is classed as a motor car, but more and more local authorities are illegally putting up signs restriction the parking of motorhomes in France – we are trying to fight this discrimination through our association.

This is a useful link: http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/faqs.shtml

The hypermarkets at the tunnel are no better than elsewhere, so stock up where you find what you want at your leisure and possibly on local bargain.

I hope that is of some assistance.

We just hope that there are no more failures with our Hymer BC574 or on the Fiat Ducato chassis - reverse gear (not resolved), front wheel bearings (replaced), hand brake etc).

Have a good and enjoyable journey.

Hi Dave

For a first thread, this was very informative. Have you compared prices with vets further afield to Calais, we have ours booked with a vet sort of associated with the site (the site owners wife works at the vet' practise) They make all the bookings and i must admit I'm not aware of the price. But response has been the more inland you go the price is more favorable.

We have an inclination to obtain a small dog for company in the van but have been put off by the "passport" problems posted by others. Does anyone know the official website name so that we can learn about the innoculations/vet visits etc.etc. that are needed on an ongoing basis with taking a dog to France (or Europe) arh.

Archived