Autosleepers motor homes

Bryan Mudge

I have an Ascot which is just 12 months old. Not having used it much I gave it a clean last summer and discovered some cracks on the rear "bumper"/skirt. My immediate thought was stress cracking due to pressure where the "bumper" adjoins the main body.Athough there is no mark on the "bumper" I am being told that someone/ something has come into me whilst stationary. The cracks appear to on the surface but also seem to be spreading.

Any comment or advice would be appreciated.

Hi Brian.

Without seeing the cracks, it is difficult to give an opinion, but I had a crack appear on the rear skirt of my motorhome in a similar manner, it was not on an Autosleeper though. When the dealer saw it and sent a photograph to the manufacturer and they agreed with us that it was stress that had caused it, not a bump.

Dave

Guest Tracker

These cracks are very common of vans of all ages and it is often very hard to establish their cause.

However if the outside surface is pristine and unmarked the impact theory seems a bit of a cop out and the faulty moulding seems more likely?

I would be inclined to politely persist and not be fobbed off by an excuse

Bryan Mudge - 2009-03-26 10:06 AM

I have an Ascot which is just 12 months old. Not having used it much I gave it a clean last summer and discovered some cracks on the rear "bumper"/skirt. My immediate thought was stress cracking due to pressure where the "bumper" adjoins the main body.Athough there is no mark on the "bumper" I am being told that someone/ something has come into me whilst stationary. The cracks appear to on the surface but also seem to be spreading.

Any comment or advice would be appreciated.

Hi Bryan and welcome to the mad house, sorry to hear of your problem.

It is difficult to say for sure what the problem is without seeing a picture. Can you tell us what the material is?

The reason I ask is that we used to have a Rapido 709F and an elderly lady decided to park her car 6" into our new van's rear bumper (we'd only had it for 3 weeks!). Fortunately once she'd extracted her vehicle the bumper was fine so they do take quite a bit of 'bending' without damage. We did, however, get stress cracks on the corners of the bumpers where it joined the side trims but this was definitely the material stressing and nothing to do with the 'bumper' incident. We also had a similar type of stressing on the top of one of the side trim panels near the cab, again it was down to stressing.

Archived