Buy a Fiat and get a Panda

mike 202

Marquis are offering a new Fiat Panda with some Fiat based motorhomes

" FREE...The Panda Campaign

Our best ever Special Offer - a car worth over £7000 included in the price!"

Now are Fiat at last getting desperate !!! - but would the offer be more attractive if they offered a different make of car ?

Any thoughts ?

Guest JudgeMental

An excellent little car.......The promotion would probably work better for FIAT the other way around.........

Buy a fiat panda get a motorhome for FREE! (with 2 free clutch kit's as well)

its the only way I would risk having one *-)

Maybe slightly off-topic but I bought a new Fiat Punto a few years ago when my daughter started learning to drive.

Timing belt whined from cold every day from new. Fiat fitted new belt. Was never 100% right.

Engine overheated and warped the cylinder head at about 20,000 miles - cost around £500. My expense.

Power steering failed at about same miles - cost about £400. My expense.

Electrical wiring failed several times, warning light erratic, radio speakers failed. Several repairs at my expense.

Wiper drive mechanism failed twice. £100+ each time. My expense.

Brake discs (and pads of course) replaced twice in under 30,000 miles. Pads were NOT worn down to the metal backing!! My expense.

Interior trim fell off, parts of door seals fell off.

Rear light clusters leaked and were replced at my expense.

Front lights leaked and misted up. My expense.

And there's far more but it probably got boring several points back so I'll stop.

The car had 38,000 nothing-but-trouble miles on it when I got rid of it.

I don't think I'll buy another FIAT. :D

I have been reading a lot of the threads that have been posted about FIAT. I have not previously commented because there are obviously a lot of people out there who are very experienced Motorhomers who have experienced some really bad problems. However, I have had three FIAT based Motorhomes over the last 10 years, two were 'used' vans and my current Kontiki 665 was purchased new almost 5 years ago. Whilst I certainly do not put a lot of mileage on my van as some of the other contributors do I have to say that I have never experienced any of the issues that appear to have been written or commented about, am I just the lucky one or have I just tempted fate >:-)

Guest Tracker
mike 202 - 2009-03-27 11:36 AM

Marquis are offering a new Fiat Panda with some Fiat based motorhomes

" FREE...The Panda Campaign

Our best ever Special Offer - a car worth over £7000 included in the price!"

Now are Fiat at last getting desperate !!! - but would the offer be more attractive if they offered a different make of car ?

Any thoughts ?

Fit a towbar on the Panda and use it to pull the Motorhome backwards in place of a reverse gear?

Guest Tracker
Big Momma - 2009-03-28 2:06 PM

I have been reading a lot of the threads that have been posted about FIAT. I have not previously commented because there are obviously a lot of people out there who are very experienced Motorhomers who have experienced some really bad problems. However, I have had three FIAT based Motorhomes over the last 10 years, two were 'used' vans and my current Kontiki 665 was purchased new almost 5 years ago. Whilst I certainly do not put a lot of mileage on my van as some of the other contributors do I have to say that I have never experienced any of the issues that appear to have been written or commented about, am I just the lucky one or have I just tempted fate >:-)

All of yours have been on the well developed previous model Ducato/Boxer which has also given me - and many others - first class service over many vans and many years.

Guest JudgeMental
DESCO - 2009-03-28 2:55 PM

Tracker,

As they say it's the old ones, that are the best. (lol) (lol)

Dave

Have you driven one?

They are like a tractor compared to the new crop on 2007 onwards vans......

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2009-03-28 3:40 PM

Tracker,

Dave

Have you driven one?

Yes I have driven - two - just to get a second opinion - and in my view the 'advances' do not add up to the 'failures'.

I don't know about fuel economy - but if fuel cost is an issue why am I driving a 3.5 slab with the aerodynamics of a concrete block anyway!

I am very happy with the old Ducato Boxer and a recent 5500 mile trip and an 8000 trip last year, both 100% trouble free, have done nowt to shake my belief.

Sure - it ain't perfect - then neither is an MB Sprinter - but I can live with it's failings much more readily than I could with a van that won't go backwards properly 'cos when we explore lanes and side roads reverse gear gets a lot of use!

If you like your new van I am happy for you - but I sure ain't gonna buy one!

Tracker,

Dave

Have you driven one?

Yes I have driven a few they may be like a tractor but they got there, forwards and backwards.

I still would rather have my new Ford.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
DESCO - 2009-03-28 4:52 PM

Tracker,

Dave

Have you driven one?

Yes I have driven a few they may be like a tractor but they got there, forwards and backwards.

I still would rather have my new Ford.

Dave

AMEN To that!

About 4 years ago my van was damaged and we had a hired one for a month. It was a new 2.8 50k Fiat van and we went down to south of France/Spain in it. It went OK but the noise! And a/c was rubbish, my kids nearly died in the back.......

Because of that experience I ordered 230v/12v roof a/c on my new Ford in 2007 and it was totally unnecessary, as Ford is so quiet, powerful and icy cool in comparison and only a 2.2 engine.

"...................And get a Fiat panda worth £7,000!"

Who are they trying to kid???

Has anyone else actually driven one of those things???

They are DIRE.

I mean AWFUL.

Feels just like being inside a small, tin, filing cabinet.

Noise is terrible.

Road holding and handling are bouncy, bumpy, vague, and quite scary at any sort of speed.

Fit and finish are an utter joke....it's like a clown car, wiating for bits to snap or fall off.

Performance? 0 to 60 in......a long weekend.

Steering wheel is off-centre of driver seat.

And it's even got Fiat electrics.....nuff said.

When I returned the small crude lump of tin foil and cheapo plastic to his forecourt, white and shaking, I told the Fiat dealer that it really wasn't quite what I was looking for; as I wanted a car.

There are some fantastic little town cars around nowadays.

And in todays automotive industry crisis, for a lot less money.

Hell will freeze over before I buy one, for £1,000 let alone £7,000.

And of course they ain't costing the MH dealer £7,000 anyway....there are probably now about 100 million of the damn things unsold and just sitting, polluting import dock car parks...probably inter-breeding and creating yet more gruesome versions daily.

Just get the MH dealer to knock say £3k off the MH price instead and breathe a long sigh of relief that you escaped having to admit that you've got the world's worst clown car.

Then if you must, use the £3k saved to buy a 1 year old, immaculate condition, decent, well-designed, well put together, reliable, driveable town car.... :-D

colinfrier - 2009-03-29 10:43 AM

Yea if you want a small car what about Hyundai or Kia 5 or 7 year warrenty there's confidence for you.

Very good little cars now.

And there's even a sporting chance that those Companies might actually still be in business in a few years time to honour any warranty claims too........

Hi,

I have a diesel Panda and I can tell you it really flies for a little 1.3, it will do over 100 MPH and it has never returned less than 60 MPG, it will hold its own with most cars away from the lights or on motorways,

I purchased it new Sept 07 and I have just completed 26000 miles and its still running very well, it doesn't use any oil between the 12000 mile services, and the only thing that has gone wrong is the window washer jets needed replacing on the last service at 24000 mile.

It has A/C and metallic paint and it only cost £6400 complete with a 3 year 60000 mile warranty. That's what I call value for money

And yes I would certainly buy another and would recommend them to anyone, also on the plus side the diesel engine has a CHAIN driven cam so no belts to break.

Archived