Dogs in Italy - New Regulations

Don Madge

I lifted the following from MHF.

If you are coming to Italy with dogs along in the near future, new regulations in force from 26/03/09 :

1) in all urban areas, or countryside not designated as a 'dog run' all dogs must be kept on a leash, no longer than 1.5 metres, and the owner must have with him at hand a suitable muzzle - this must be 'at hand' and not necessarily on the dog.

2) in all above areas, the dog owner must have 'at hand' available instruments/bags for collecting and disposing of any solid excrement left by his animal.

There are of course lots more 'bits' relative to dangerous breeds/vets etc.

but I think what will be directly relative to foreign visitors is what is outlined above. Ministry of Health decree 03/03/2009.

Don

Not actually planning on visiting Italy this year (although you never know!) but thanks for the warning. No problem with the bags as I always have a pocket full but I have never used a muzzle (never needed one) so would have to buy one in advance.

Patricia - 2009-03-28 6:23 AM

Not actually planning on visiting Italy this year (although you never know!) but thanks for the warning. No problem with the bags as I always have a pocket full but I have never used a muzzle (never needed one) so would have to buy one in advance.

We never owned a muzzle either, until we went to Paris & found some bus drivers wouldn't let us on without one (most ignored this (apparent) regulation). We found the same in Avignon on the shuttle from the aire. We bought a light foam muzzle to get around this, in one of those outdoor stores in France. Easy to carry.

Archived