Tom Tom and Google earth

Porky

I have come across this web site, www.janboersma.ni/gett/index.html

which claims to allow the use of Google Earth mapping through a download onto my Tom Tom. As I am addicted to Google Earth finding it invaluable in checking where camp sites are in relation to amenities, walks, forests etc. I would appreciate any observations or experience of the use of this download/software. One concern I do have is using up storage capacity.

Porky well fed and happy

Porky - 2009-03-28 2:41 PM

I have come across this web site, www.janboersma.ni/gett/index.html

which claims to allow the use of Google Earth mapping through a download onto my Tom Tom. As I am addicted to Google Earth finding it invaluable in checking where camp sites are in relation to amenities, walks, forests etc. I would appreciate any observations or experience of the use of this download/software. One concern I do have is using up storage capacity.

Porky well fed and happy

Porky

They do a program could Tyre which you download to your PC/Laptop and it allows you to use Google Earth to create an itinerary, it is this that you upload to Tom Tom, at least thats the way I have done it. The upload to Tom Tom is quite small so you don't really need to worry too much. Its quite fascinating using this method to create an intinerary but you have to be careful you get the right waymarks otherwise it will take you down an adjacent road! You can of course always review the route in Tom Tom.

David

Hi all, been using Tyre (which is of course the programme mentioned in the initial post) for some time now and have always said that TomTom should have had it as standard. Well now it has, TomTom Home V2.6 now has their own version built in and is in my opinion slightly better than Tyre as it includes 'Live' updated information for help when planning your journey/ itinery.

Home V2.6 is a free dowload that anyone can download to look at in advance of deciding whether TomTom is the way for you to go.

Bas

Archived