Suspa liftline gas struts

Knaus

Hi

Has anyone replaced these. Looked on the internet and found a company who sell new ones, but they wanted £45 each.

Anyone know of a much cheaper option.

Maybe we will be off the shelf ones designed for kitchens etc.

Here is a possibility I have found just doing a brief search on google.

Maybe be of use. From thr part number on your old struts you should be able to get the spec from the Suspa website. Post the mumber and I wil have a look if I get time for alternatives but am pretty sure you will get something a lot cheaper than £45.

Hi again Knaus.

Ta for PM with part number. I prefer to post on forums with info rather than PM unless personal info so anyone else can benefit or contribute.

The Part number 016 11575 is the key part. 11575 seems to be the standard part number reference used by the industry.

Infortuanately I cannot find another supplier. SKF have something close but is a clevis at both ends and 5 mm longer...oh and black not white/chrome.

Beginning to get the feeling you have no choice for this particular one unless some Motorhome spares stockists keep it as a replacement part...possible so will take a look at that later, but do not recall ever seeing.

Come on chaps someone else must know.

Jon

• 1 year later...
Did a search and found this thread as we have the same problem with the struts in our Knaus! We have the same part number as above but can find no stockists on the web. Has anyone any links/stockists please? The Suspa site (German) does not list this part number. Any help appreciated! Ta! Hazel

Thanks! I'll let the OH look at the site. He'll make more sense of it! What I have gathered is that the struts need removing and sent/taken to the company which seems a lot of bother/expense. The struts at the mo are just a little weak and so wall cupboard doors tend to not hold up and open for long if you see what I mean. More of a nuisance than anything. But thanks for the site link. Hazel

If you have the standard, lets call them kitchen door type, hinges then they probably do not have springs in them. what you could do is fit same style hinges (just one per door) which have springs and this will help assist the door opening. Not sure if this will be feasibe but is a suggestion that might be simple and very much more cost effective.

Jon.

edit typos.

Hazel ,Sorry, didn,t realize they were just for cupboard doors and my suggestion may well be too expensive. However I replaced all my gas struts on the locker doors of my motorhome with ones off the shelf at B&Q and I have to say they are far better than the originals. I think they were £7.25 each Might be worth trying one to see what its like. They were in the kitchen department as I recall

Dave

Hazy Baby - 2010-11-13 9:51 AM

Thanks, Dave. I will tell OH to have a look at B&Q - on Wednesday. Over 60 discount day! Worth a try at that price. Hazel

I had a job to find them in the store ,had to hunt but they are on their website and called IT kitchens gas door stay kit, looks like the part number is 0000003361269

Web site gives measurements so may save you a trip if not suitable

Dave

Chudders - 2010-11-13 2:38 PM

Hazy Baby - 2010-11-13 9:51 AM

Thanks, Dave. I will tell OH to have a look at B&Q - on Wednesday. Over 60 discount day! Worth a try at that price. Hazel

I had a job to find them in the store ,had to hunt but they are on their website and called IT kitchens gas door stay kit, looks like the part number is 0000003361269

Web site gives measurements so may save you a trip if not suitable

Dave

Think this is it here... clickable link to B&Q strut

What you also need to know is the force your present gas struts are. They come not only in different lengths but also forces such as 50Nm, 80, 100, 120 or 150. The B&Q one does not show what the force is as far as I can tell.

If you search on Ebay you can find sellers as well....

ebay link

chudders - if you just copy the whole of the website addy in your addressbar it works,

e.g http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gas+door+stay&_sacat=See-All-Categories

but ends up a bit long sometimes.

On a further note, I am so taken by these struts with you talking about them, I am seriously thinking of getting some for my Motorhome.

I looked a few years ago but were very expensive, seems now they are used in kitchens prices have tumbled.

My doors have spring hinges and they are a bit fierce...gas struts would be brilliant and i could remove the springs in the hinges. Food for thought me thinks and a little project for me. "what do you want for christmas?" errrr, Gas struts please Dear, here are the Ebay item numbers. :-D

I was really really pleased with the struts, not only do they support the overhead locker doors but once opened a few inches they slowly raise the door to the fully open position with no lifting by me. A really nice action.

I took a risk and bought one first to try, gambled the £7 or £8. Then went back and bought another 8 for the 9 overhead lockers. The original ones were ok but some were getting weak and all would only support the door once lifted to its fully open position. I have locker doors of slightly differing sizes (weights) and therefore some open a little more quickly than others

Dave

Just been out to check and they appear to be 80 Nm as they have 80 N printed on the side.

Thanks, Dave and all, for lots more information and useful links. Will have a look and then print off the whole lot as the OH has asked if I would like a nice trip away in Norfolk for a week or so. Yes, please - Norwich and Christmas shopping on my list. Bracing walks on the coast on his! So as I may be away from wifi I will take info with us and find the nearest B&Q and take it from there. Thanks again! Hazel

Archived