Fiat Immobiliser Code

kedavi

Last year (October) we bought a new Autotrail on a very juddery Fiat X250. I read in the handbook that it should have been supplied with two copies of a Code Card which contains the numbers for the electronic immobiliser code and also the mechanical key code. Mine did not come with these cards and when I asked the dealer about them he said that Fiat no longer supplied the cards.

Is this true - has anyone else received the cards? Or am I just being fobbed off by a dealer who can't be bothered to get the cards replaced?

Hello Kedavi,

I assume you are referring to the red key code card that used to be supplied with Fiat key sets.

Your dealer is correct, the code cards are no longer required. If the keys need to be re-programmed with the immobiliser code any Fiat dealer can do this by accessing the Fiat Database for your vehicle. This is probably chargeable but I am not sure how much.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

We've been ahving problems with our Fiat immobiliser. Occasionally the key symbol did not go out on the display and we weren't able to start the van, but after 10 or 20 minutes all was OK.

I went on the Fiat forum where it appears it's a common problem and not just with motorhomes. Someone suggested we just removed it and even gave instructions but we decided to take it to the Fiat dealership in Exeter.

Diagnostics said faulty keycode unit so having paid £78 for that we waited a couple of weeks for the replacement to arrive. It was done, we collected the motorhome and a day or two later had a day out in it. All went well until we wanted to go home. The fault was back! Eventually the engine started and we then had the same problem at the filling station. This time it didn't take so long as my husband tried starting it in gear and the jerk seems to have shocked into starting.

I trawled the Fiat forum again and found that frequently the problem is dodgy wiring.

The garage it back next morning and were asked to check the wiring, so they spent the day occasionally starting the van with no problem. They phoned next morning, told me this so I suggested they tried the wiring as previously asked.

Guess what! it was the wiring, a loose wire in the block. Sorry I've rambled but if this saves someone else about £250 it's worth it.

Archived