Cats & Motorhomes

AnnPaul

Being cat lovers, but at present have not got one.(but would like to get another) Motorhome owners with cats we would like your help please.

On several trips over the last few years have seen several cats in or on leads around motorhomes.

Couple of questions:-

Do you get them used to travelling at an early stage.?

How do you manage with cat litter etc ?

Do you have them seen by a vet when going abroad ?

Regards

Paul and Ann

Ann & Paul

Used to take our cat (plus dogs) in our MH, though never abroad, so don't know what regulations apply for cats. She travelled happily in her travel cage and I took her out on a lead once at our destination. We used a small litter tray positioned in the cab area. No problems. Once saw a couple in France walking a pet duck!

ike

We have both cat and camper, but ne'er the twain shall meet!

Cats are very different from dogs. They attach themselves to places, rather than people, and even legally are never completely "owned" by anyone.

Although I've seen some APPARENTLY content to travel with their "owners" ("human companions?" "co-residents?") we wouldn't dream of trying that with ours. She makes enough fuss when we have to put her in the van to go to the vets or the cattery!

So for short breaks we arrange for someone to come in and feed her, and let her in and out, but when we're away for longer we've found a very good cattery which she now regards as a second home.

I'm with Tony on this, we have seen an odd one or two cats in vans on our travels but it's rare. In fact there's two in an MMM article this month.

We once took one of our cats "around the block", oh boy what a mistake, she went potty and couldn't wait to get out. That said, she doesn't mind being in the van at all when it's being loaded/unloaded.

I suspect you could train one from young but I wouldn't like to gamble on losing it. Can you imagine losing it on a site with all the vans looking the same? The poor b****r would never fing it's way back.

Martyn

Hi,

We took a mature cat away with us. He snecked out and hid in the bushes close to the caravan, refused to come to us calling him ...... until we were packed up and ready to leave. We wouldn't have left him, but he didn't know that.

My mother always said that Siamese could be taken for walks on a lead.

Cats have same passport rules as a dog. Injection, chip, wait a month, blood test. If blood test is OK, you can go abroad but not come back for six months after blood test. Probably £100 altogether, maybe cheaper for a cat. Presumably needs to visit vet before returning to UK, say another £20 - £40.

Guest JudgeMental

In all seriousness now, I simply can’t believe that someone can be so naive as to think taking a cat away in a motorhome is acceptable.

As others have said cats are not at all like dogs.......

Not having a cat only a dog I cant help much except to tell you the same as above about the passport regs even a ferret apparently needs it! but I did see a while ago in the C.C. mag someone had lost their cat at York and was asking people to look out for it :-S they are a bit too independent for camping I would think unless you were going to keep it on a lead all the time. Why not get a small dog ? someone was sat on the camping field stroking my little dog and he said "he is just like a cat but with a brain" Now I Didnt Say That!!! ;-)

Well sorry everybody. Ann Paul, I was at Chirk campsite two weeks ago and when I looked out of my window there in the woods were two Siamese cats being taken for a walk on their leads by their owners. They walked and sniffed at the shrubbery like dogs.

When they got back they were put on long leashes outside the van, just as a dog would be and they pottered about and played around. As people walked by and spoke to them they tottered over and enjoyed being patted.

In the van I saw them, not tied up, despite the door being open, and they were sitting in the window in the sunshine. I took photographs of them and as soon as I can get home to my own computer I will put them on this thread for you.

I had a lovely cat once who loved going for a ride in the car with me. She stayed on the back seat or the back window because I trained her that she was not allowed in the front. (No back seat belt laws at that time). I think it is what you teach them and how much time you spend training them. They don't jump up and muddy you, they don't bark when you leave them in the van and make a nuisance of themselves, and you can put a litter tray in the toilet area if you have to leave them for a while. I see no problem. Joy

Being on the subject of pets I would like to ask if forum users would consider it appropriate for me to take my little 'tarzan' away. He is well behaved and never gets travel sick. He does have a huge apetite though, usually cats, ducks, ferrets - well he is a growing lad and a 25 ft Boa Constrictor :D :D :D

My only concern about taking 'Tiger' away with me on trips is since I found out that the Judge has snake skin attire :D Of course snakes don't walk they don't have any feet do they ? So i lash him to a couple of skateboards :-> I also have a cat (doesn't sleep anywhere near the snake), wondered about taking 'Tiddles' away with me in the Motorhome but was never sure if it would be possible to get Vet's documents etc - Oh yes, and I did get 'Tiddles' from the Longleat Cat Rescue Centre :D :D :D

Our cat just loves the motorhome. She spends hours sat up on the dash when traveling. At the docks she flashes here eyes and waggles her ears as the customs men and waiting coach parties. She wags her tail at passing dogs. Sometimes she sits up and other times she sits down. She loves a stroke and purrs in satisfaction. Pull her tail and she will shout back at you. Ignore her and she will eventually say "meow". When she gets very tired and lifeless I replace her the three A cells.

C.

(Toys R us )

I knew a travelling salesman once who always had his cat curled up in the front of than van.....we nicknamed him pat as you would. The cat always seemed happy enough, and well cared for despite his travels. Apparently it slept most of the time, the rest spent peering out of the window.

So yes it can be done - would recommend getting them used to it from an early age, and have a harness. A male has a 12 mile wandering radius, females are around 8 - so would be advisable to 'keep them local'

If they are used to it from young, and are happy with it, and use a travel cage whilst in motion i can't see a problem. Takes a special type of cat though! Depends what is most suitable for the animal and it's comfort and needs really.

Well Joy a picture says a thousand words, and them there cats look happy enough.  In France we met a couple with a cat in the van they had taken it everywhere, with no trouble at all.The couple in the MMM article (which I thought was well written and quite funny) seemed to have no trouble with there two cats abroad, so if you want to take your cat away why not.  Carol.

Guest JudgeMental
Hymer C 9. - 2009-03-31 5:20 PM

Well Joy a picture says a thousand words,

.  Carol.

Yes it does ........

cat_toilet.jpg.210f16b3652a6f9fcf12b808f28938e2.jpg

Randonneur - 2009-03-31 6:36 PM Met a UK couple last week who travel with a small parrot in their motorhome.

There was a Dutch couple in a motorhome on a French Aire we stopped on last year with a really large parrot and I was in complete hysterics at hearing the it talking in Dutch after I had had a bottle of wine I started whistling at it and it soon was able to mimic me then the whole Aire campers were falling about it was one of the best nights on an Aire we have had.

Guest JudgeMental
Hymer C 9. - 2009-03-31 7:25 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-03-31 5:42 PM

Hymer C 9. - 2009-03-31 5:20 PM

Well Joy a picture says a thousand words,

.  Carol.

Yes it does ........

Glad I was not sitting on it before he climbed out might have thought my luck had changed :D

Carol dear......It is not "climbing out" lol

it is doing its business! you can clearly see the rear paws on the seat 8-)

Archived