air lock in water system

Guest 12az12

air lock in water system  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest 12az12
hi,im filling up my water system after winter,problem is i cant seem to get rid of an air lock in the system.The cold works ok but the hot wont come through,im getting a pressure build up which is venting from the heater drain plug.Had the same problem last year but managed to clear it after a few hours and a lot of water.van is a auto sleeper tailsman 1993 trauma 2 heater.many thanks peter

Can sometimes take a while to get through, as it has to fill the heater tank first.

Check the shower head etc and make sure that it hasn't cracked or split over the winter. Many do even though they have been drained, sometimes there is still a bit of water in the head that can crack them. That may caused an air leak.

Other than that, just keep it going until it comes through! One of mine took ages this year!

It could well be that the non-return valve feeding the hot water tank is stuck shut. I have had this happen on a 1999 Autosleeper Duetto.

What happens is that water left in the pipes (it only needs a small amount) freezes and expands, forcing the valve into its seat where it jams shut.

Often the problem can be cured just by sliding the heater out (the pipes are long enough to allow this), unscrewing the non-return valve (from memory it is in the lower pipe) and freeing the stuck valve.

If the valve seal is torn then you can get a new valve from O'Leary at the address following: http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Michael

Peter

Which Motorcaravan's test (August 1996) of a second-hand 1993 A-S Talisman stated that the motorhome's heating system comprised a Truma Trumatic S3000 gas convector 'fire' and a Carver Cascade 2 water-boiler. I think it's a Cascade 2 that you are describing and I believe that's what Michael assumes you have got.

Michael's diagnosis of a malfunctioning non-return valve sounds good. As you've got pressurised water at the cold taps, but none at the hot taps, logically there is an obstruction on the hot-water side. Water is emerging under pressure from the boiler's drain-plug, so there's plainly no obstruction between the water-pump and the boiler. This narrows down the problem to the boiler itself, or to the boiler's output feed to the hot taps.

It's been suggested before on the forum that turning off all the taps, switching on the water-pump, then (in your case) opening one of the hot taps fully and sucking hard on the tap's 'spout' can help to clear an air-lock. Worth trying, but it wouldn't correct a non-return valve that is stuck shut.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2009-03-31 8:23 AM

It's been suggested before on the forum that turning off all the taps, switching on the water-pump, then (in your case) opening one of the hot taps fully and sucking hard on the tap's 'spout' can help to clear an air-lock. Worth trying, but it wouldn't correct a non-return valve that is stuck shut.

Quite so Derek - but this action would help identify where the blockage is and if it fails to produce water flow it would certainly point a very large finger at the non return valve being the culprit!

Back-filling is often a cure for this type of problem and make sure all other taps are shut before connecting a hose to the selected one - on the valve the build up of pressure will force the valve to open and filling of the system should commence.

Check you do not have air getting in on the suction side of the water pump. This winter was( is ) cold and things like the pump filter may frozen and cracked enough to bleed air in but not let water out.

On another tack , On the face of it this should be nothing to do with the air lock as it is on the pressurised side of the pump and one would only expect water to leak out , but.

If its a Carver and I also suspect that it is, Consider replacing all the plastic connectors including the non return valve as they become brittle after about five years. Also renew the rubber washer on the drain plug as it should not be leaking. Its an unusual size O ring and sad to relate I cant find one in my collection and had to pay over £3 for two for the genuine article #####

I forgot to say. If it is the Carver, that the venting you are seeing could well be from the pressure relief valve that is directly above the drain plug and may be because the built in air bleed ( fitted on later model to allow air in to speed up draining) has been left or is stuck open. It a 1/4 inch wide screwdriver slot and when closed should be loose. Its only a quarter turn beteen open and shut.

Guest 12az12
hi all,thanks for all your help,first class as usual.Top answer today,drain plug o ring failed ,replaced with new ring and all is well.I assumed it was some sort of pressure relive setup.Top tip,box of 400 o rings aldi couple of pounds,will last me three life times.Once again thanks for your input,pete :-

Archived