Cooking in the van

ike

Have just discovered silicone cookware. It's extremely lightweight and can withstand very high temperatures in the oven (not for hob use). You can also get collapsible colanders made of the same stuff. It washes very easily, very non-stick. Just the thing for the gourmet (or not) cook who want to keep the (van's) weight down.

ike

Like Jannine, i have never used my oven in MH(for cooking) Great for storage of bulky items, spare toilet rolls etc.

I dont go away in MH to cook gourmet meals. Simple top of the stove for me. OR if I'm lucky a meal out.

Pauline

Big Momma - 2009-03-31 8:21 PM

We use our oven quite regularly, usually first night away after a day of travelling we re-heat our Beef Stew make up some Herby dumplings....mmmmmmm :-D

We do too, just last Sunday, poked some fresh ginger into a fillet of lamb, hoisted it into said oven, out for a couple of pints and back to a divine smelling van, mmmmm, can still smell it now.

Martyn

Speaking of cooking in the van,have any viewers used these Remoska cookers ,,I hear people singing their praises, but can't seem to locate one does anyone know if they will be at the show at Peterboro at the end of April???

smiler.gif.54d1dd27cb6fee917a7013b760124160.gif

Herby Dumplings, Fresh Ginger, why do people eat white food?

A mixture of the visible spectrum produces white light. A mixture of sound frequencies produce white sound. A mixture of food tastes produce white food.

This is a very real April 1st conundrum producing a nation of bland eaters who will never know the difference between an Arran Pilot or a King Edward.

rossko - 2009-04-01 12:41 PM

The remoska cookers are in the Lakeland catalogue & look great!!

Not only look great but cook great also. We have one for the 'van and one at home. On EHU they save a tremendous amount of gas.

Martyn,

Sounds great Motohome eating but what happened to the lamb, surely all the additional ingredients will over power it. This is exactly my arguments that all the 'flavours' make one 'unknown flavour'. I'm from an era when we only had meadow Dandelions and hedgerow Elderberries to flavour less eatable food.

Bill

libby - 2009-04-01 1:38 PM

Martyn,

Sounds great Motohome eating but what happened to the lamb, surely all the additional ingredients will over power it. This is exactly my arguments that all the 'flavours' make one 'unknown flavour'. I'm from an era when we only had meadow Dandelions and hedgerow Elderberries to flavour less eatable food.

Bill

Bill, of course you can overpower it, (the lamb or anything else for that matter), for me though it's about enhancement. You of course need to cook the lamb correctly to keep it's own flavours strong, the golden rule with meat as ever, (I'm an ex Butcher), less is more.

Take a lamb henry, (there goes that poor lamb again), that I had in a restaurant a while ago.

Well it needed renaming Mint Sauce Soup With Lamb Involved Somewhere. Truly awful, but with the right quantities, it's a lovely dish, in my opinion.

Keeping it simple Bill, Chicken without stuffing? Unthinkable, Steak without mustard? Ditto etc etc.

Not coming from your "Dandelion" Era, I can't comment on the needs or expectations of your palate but if you're ever up our way, call in and taste my lemon chicken with stuffing consisting of, fresh garlic, (finely chopped), curry powder and a small chillie.

Right now where's that lamb....

Martyn

Martyn,

I'm not familiar with Lamb Henry, more like Larry the Lamb. Don't do Stuffing, garlic or chilli, (its my poor background you know!) although I agree it does smell good. Now my wife Joan lights up at all those names, she will eat anything but I'm just a plain old sod so we have to eat differently nowadays.

Made me smile anyway.

Bill

Have got a Bravoska very much like a Ramoska but can be used as a pan as well as an oven by tuning the whole thing over so the bottom is the top and top is the bottom.Try www.shopmania.co.uk.

Hope this helps

John

Bill - give your tastebuds a treat :-D My missus does a lovely Fillet steak on toasted crouton with liver pat'e and Mushroom sauce, then there is the grilled salmon served on top of a bed of herb flavoured boiled spuds, or the fillet of duck breast on top of a bed of spring onion mash and yes this is all using the M'Home hob and oven. Can't wait to see what she can do with the Salad this Summer (lol)

Blow me that sounds good, but my ageing stomach rebels. I just have to keep to basic things but of course I do try occasionally. I was brought up on sugary foods, bread and milk etc, no corflakes in those day (poor old sod).

There was 'Mr Force' he was the cornflakes advert at the time and I believe a freebee if you saved up the packets was a rubber band driven aeroplane, I recall it was silver but the name has beaten me.

My father used to keep ferrets for rabbitting and it was my job to prepare their early morning food, slices of dry bread cut into small squares with milk added, when their dishes were filled I had what was left over, its great with lots of sugar, I can recommend it.

By golly that seems like a wonderfull world then, what a pity we cannot jump back into it at times, its really cruel that we are prevented from doing so.

Archived