wheel covers

heavyhorse

We are new to motorhoming this year. Does anybody cover their wheels on their motorhome, while it is static during the summer months to protect from the heat of the sun, mine stands in full sun all day. If you what do you use or does somebody make a cover?

Guest peter

Try making some plywood covers and painting them white to reflect the sun. Tyres will degrade in strong U/V light. Especially as they will not be worn out by the time you have to replace them. Because of low usage of M/H tryes.

The last ones I changed were full of sidewall cracks, with most of the tread still remaining.

If you are going to do a lot of miles in it however, don't bother.

The very first van I owned was 5 years old, excellent condition inside and out and what looked like new tyres. I tok my first trip to Scotland and had a rear tyre blow out on the A1. The AA came to help me change the tyre because the jack supplied would not lift the van and when he checked the remaining tyres, including the spare, he advised me that all the inside tyre walls were cracked and they should all be replaced, immediately !! An expensive start to my first MH adventure. Gave me a scare but didn't put me off, I am now in my 10th year and on my 3rd van. Life's experiences can serve as an education, fortunately without disastrous consequences on this occasion. This forum can and does help others avert having to experience such events, must be a good thing eh ?

I have a couple of fairly respectable old three quarter length water proof car coats, sleaves pulled through to the inside and hang them on the sunny side wheels with the top button fastened. They do the job all nice and neat and stay in place even through gales.

We have a couple of old beach towels with the picture of a smiling sun on them. We use these to cover the wheels or hang over back of folding chairs to cast a shadow on tyres. If you ever my sunny happy towles on my tyres and we are out for the day, please do not remove and fold up because it starts to rain!!!! They are not there to dryout B-)

When I bought my Transit based campervan back in 1996, I had to replace the front two brake discs after two years, as they were badly corroded with rust.

I put this down to the van standing outside my house too much, and after rain, or when I washed it, the water that got onto the discs was not wiped of, as would normally happen on a car when you braked.

I soon purchased a set of wheel covers from J & M Designs, who trade under the better known name of Silverscreens. Tel No. 01274 872151.

They do have a website if you google silverscreens, but it doesn't mention wheelcovers, probably because from look of the other posts on this thread, nobody buys them.

I'm sure they would make you some if you asked.

They really are excellent for protecting your tyres, and I have never had any cracks in mine. It just hurts when you have to replace your tyres because of their age, when the tyres look nearly new.

It also stops any corrosion on your discs.

Two, further points, they cost £50 for four, which I thought was on the expensive side, but they do save you a lot of money in the long run,

and they are elasticated, to fit round your wheel, so you have to remember to take the of before you drive off.

I forgot once, and they fit so well, I only managed to find one, as the others must have stayed on for a few miles, so that was another £50.

Bill

Archived