JUDDER IS A RED HERRING

colinfrier

Sorry to start yet another thread re X250 transmission problems but the real message is so often lost just look at the recent posts.

They may well be some owners who do not suffer JUDDER when reversing but it's been said many many times it is only a symptom the route problem is a high ratio reverse which prevents reversing at a crawl speed made worse by reversing on a slope or hill.

To slow the vehicle down clutch slipping has to be resorted to and it takes very little to overheat the clutch which may well be inadequate.

If you have to reverse some distance say 100m or more on a slope then you will find a real problem unless the space is totally clear and you can reverse at 7mph ish with the clutch full out at 1300 rpm.

I am still seeing posts from owners and OBSERVERS who talk about the lucky ones who are not effected THAT IS NOT THE CASE all owners are effected how can a mass produced vehicle vary when it comes to reverse ratio there all the same.

Some small differences may occur with,wheel size and final drive ratio but the fundamental flaw still exists.

My advise to those who say I do not have a problem is to find a 1in5 reverse up it for 100m at crawl speed to do so you will have to slip the clutch and then you will cook it.

I think some people can’t bring themselves to admit they have made a bad purchase and continue to defend their decision.

Guest Tracker
Sorry Colin - but I don't think that yet another new thread on the same topic is doing anyone any favours?

Guest Tracker

If you go down a 1 in 5 hill and can't turn round at the bottom you won't have a lot of choice!

When exploring foreign - and home - parts this can happen and it is nice to know that, should you need it to, your vehicle will do it without complaint, strange noises or smells and without making the driver look incompetent.

Guest peter
colinfrier - 2009-04-01 9:44 AM

Sorry to start yet another thread re X250 transmission problems but the real message is so often lost just look at the recent posts.

They may well be some owners who do not suffer JUDDER when reversing but it's been said many many times it is only a symptom the route problem is a high ratio reverse which prevents reversing at a crawl speed made worse by reversing on a slope or hill.

To slow the vehicle down clutch slipping has to be resorted to and it takes very little to overheat the clutch which may well be inadequate.

If you have to reverse some distance say 100m or more on a slope then you will find a real problem unless the space is totally clear and you can reverse at 7mph ish with the clutch full out at 1300 rpm.

I am still seeing posts from owners and OBSERVERS who talk about the lucky ones who are not effected THAT IS NOT THE CASE all owners are effected how can a mass produced vehicle vary when it comes to reverse ratio there all the same.

Some small differences may occur with,wheel size and final drive ratio but the fundamental flaw still exists.

My advise to those who say I do not have a problem is to find a 1in5 reverse up it for 100m at crawl speed to do so you will have to slip the clutch and then you will cook it.

I think some people can’t bring themselves to admit they have made a bad purchase and continue to defend their decision.

What van do you have Colin? and if it's a X250, have you yet cooked your Clutch? if not, why?.

If it's because you don't want to have it repaired, why are you suggesting that anyone else would be so foolhardy as to even think about it.?

I have Burstner Solano 3500kg 7.25 long on X250 2.3 multijet'

I have had my clutch smoking 3 times(in 12000mls) twice on hills and of course there are times when you do have to reverse up a 1in 5 for 100m.The third time was on soft sand.

These escapades must have reduced clutch life considerably and it took days for the smell to go from the cab.

Every time I take the vehicle out I worry about reversing in case I have a complete failure as many others have done.

I have now had the fix but am yet to fully test the vehicle on the bit I have done 1in 4 where I live It judders until I get the clutch fully out then will reverse at about 900rpm 1200 ish before but still to fast to manoeuvre around objects so would have to resort to clutch slip.I think its better than before the mods?

Archived