Printers suitable for a lap top

Poppy

Guest peter
We use an HP Deskjet 450 and it's brilliant. Nice pictures too. It's a few Yrs old now so they've probaly got a newer version by now I should think.

We also use a HP printer desk jet D1460, bought it because it is small and light and so no problem to take away in the van with us when travelling, useful for printing of local maps places of interest etc without having to lug to many different maps with us. Carol.

Make sure you check on how much the consumables are though - on some printers the cartridges can cost more than the printer itself - it is usually when the printer itself is ridiculously cheap ... that's how they make their money.

Poppy,

The criteria for choosing a printer for a motorhome are probably a bit different from those applicable for a home printer.

I bought one recently. Weight and size were important to me but the cost of consumables (and print quality) less so as I cannot imagine printing huge volumes or large photographs while away in the van. Canon make a very small portable printer but it was too expensive for me (about £200) so I settled for an HP 1560. This was the smallest "normal" printer I could find and one of the cheapest at £29.95. It takes up less volume than any of the alternatives I have seen and is very light. It is mains powered, of course. It is also worth remembering that the cartridges you get in a new printer are not full will run out more quickly than the normal ones do. You also need to add a USB printer cable as these do not usually come with printers.

peter - 2009-04-03 7:59 PM

Who buys cartridges? I always refill them.

Not everyone is happy to do this though Peter ... it can be an absolute s*d on some and you end up in a right mess.

As an after thought, you also need to make sure you don't buy cartridges that are too big ... daft as it may seem ... they can dry up if you're not gonna use them much.

Archived