Dogs left in motorhome for short periods

RRT

Hi,

If my dog does damage, or causes a nuisance, I am responsible.

But if somebody's kids do damage or cause a nuisance, they are not responsible (and given the chance, they will try to proof that I am).

Removes tongue from cheek.

Don't assume that your dogs are quiet when you leave them in your van on site.

Ask others and the site warden when you get back.

We were parked on a site in Yorkshire and two dogs were left in the van whilst their owners went out for the day. The dogs spent the entire day at the vans windows and barked continuously all the time the owners were away. They started as soon as they went out of site and didn't stop until they came back through the site gate. We are not talking about the odd bark when someone walked past close to the van but barking that went on for hours.

It was a lovely sunny day and we wanted to sit out but the owners being responsible had left the windows open for the dogs and of course, that made the barks louder for us.

We, like many others, made the site owners aware of the problem and when the dog owners were approached they said that they were unaware of the situation as it had not been mentioned before.

fred22 - 2009-04-05 12:43 PM

We were parked on a site in Yorkshire and two dogs were left in the van whilst their owners went out for the day. The dogs spent the entire day at the vans windows and barked continuously all the time the owners were away. They started as soon as they went out of site and didn't stop until they came back through the site gate. We are not talking about the odd bark when someone walked past close to the van but barking that went on for hours.

It was a lovely sunny day and we wanted to sit out but the owners being responsible had left the windows open for the dogs and of course, that made the barks louder for us.

We, like many others, made the site owners aware of the problem and when the dog owners were approached they said that they were unaware of the situation as it had not been mentioned before.

Yes Fred22,

I agree, You mentioned that they were 'responsible owners'.

THAT in my opinion is NOT responsible ownership, and I would have been as annoyed as no doubt you were, had I been anywhere near them!!

At least they were made aware of the problem ( quite rightly ) but it is just another example of the minority making a bad name for the rest of us.

I would hope that they 'got the message' and would be mindful of their dogs' barking in the future.

Of course if they are not responsible people the message would have not 'sunk in' anyway.

Unfortunately in this day and age 'consideration of others' does not seem to be a feature of our way of life.

That goes for all situations, both on camp sites and at home !!!

fred22 - 2009-04-05 12:43 PM

This dog owner is NOT responsible as they left the dogs ALL day. If this was going to be the case a responsible owner would have found an alternative way ie found a local kennels that they could have day boarded their dogs - now that would have been a responsible owner. To me this owner was thinking all about themselves and not anyone else - the word selfish springs to mind. (I'm not anti dog owners, I have dogs but I am against irresponsible dog owners)

Perhaps the sites could offer information of local dog kennels that would do day boarding and this would mean that everyone, owners, fellow campers and most of all the dogs were comfortable and happy. What do others think of this idea?

Hi,

Several of our local boarding kenels (probably all of them) do not allow a dog on the premises, unless it has been innoculated (?) against Kennel Cough. There is a time lag between the treatment and it becoming effective....anybody know how long?

This can cause problems if you need to book your dog into kennels at short notice.

Also, there is no guarantee that your dog will be immune to Kennel Cough, so you might collect it from one kennel, and be refused at your next touring stop-over.

You dog will not be impressed with the means of applying the vacine (?).

Sorry if I have used the wrong medical terminology.

handyman - 2009-04-06 3:13 PM

fred22

What is your definition of 'all day'?

Hi, must have been about 10.00am to around 5.00pm.

Went to the pub for lunch to get away from the noise but they were still at it when we got back and had been whilst we were away, we were told.

Wow!!!! I did not realise what my little question would start about dogs left in motorhomes. Can I just say that I care about other people, clean up after my dog and agree with most of you and what has been said. I have made arrangements for this coming trip in November - March for a friend to stay at our house with my beloved dog. That way she is happy at home. we can get to grips with our first long break away learn by our mistakes and then maybe the following year with a good wind behind us and God on our side she may then be able to come with us. (lol) Thank you all again what a site !!

W3526602 - 2009-04-06 4:26 PM

Hi,

Several of our local boarding kenels (probably all of them) do not allow a dog on the premises, unless it has been innoculated (?) against Kennel Cough. There is a time lag between the treatment and it becoming effective....anybody know how long?

This can cause problems if you need to book your dog into kennels at short notice.

Also, there is no guarantee that your dog will be immune to Kennel Cough, so you might collect it from one kennel, and be refused at your next touring stop-over.

You dog will not be impressed with the means of applying the vacine (?).

Sorry if I have used the wrong medical terminology.

I believe it takes 5 days for immunity to develop after the vaccine is given, also boosters are needed within ten months.

My dogs would go absolutely nuts in kennels!!! As 2 of them came from shelters, and 1 of these was in kennels for over 6 months and absolutely petrified, I know they'd choose to stay in the camper any time.

For those who think it is kinder to put a dog in kennels than leave it in the 'van either they don't own dogs or have never bothered to stay for any length of time around/in a kennels. Kennels are full of strange scary smells, they are extremely noisy places and frightening even for a laid-back type of dog, that's not even thinking about the health problems that your dog can contract from being there, the anxiety etc. Not to mention the 'strangers' who run them - you're taking your dog out of its comfort zone (ie your motorhome) and plonking it there for the day - much better to leave your dog in a place in which he/she is happy and content, to laze around with the things he/she knows, able to potter around the van to favourite places, peer out and watch the outside world from their safe haven, or to have a snuggle in their bed (or yours!) and just chill, or play with their toys, each other etc.

This obviously has to go hand in hand with you leaving your dogs for a length of time which you know is not going to cause them any problems but is also going to let you have a bit of freedom to and being sure that they're not going to spoil anyone else's enjoyment too. Its about balance.

Our dogs actually like us to go out! If we are with them too long they get overtired and crabby as they keep themselves awake to see what's going on all the time - when we go out and leave them for a few hours, they have a lovely nap and when we come back they are relaxed and happy and ready for a bit of fun. When we are at home, they please themselves whilst we are at work - on the days that I'm at home they look at me as if to say ... will you b*gger off and leave us in peace for our beauty sleep!!! 8-)

1845705622_mobiledogbed.jpg.9888484afb3ab0bfe3bb7475cfabf262.jpg

Hi,

We left our two GSDs at a kennels for a couple of days. What we didn't realise was that this was Crufts week. Everybody had put their dogs into the kennels and gone to the show, and that included the kennel manager. As far as we could make out, the kennels were left in the care of a 14 year old girl. Was she able to exercise ALL those dogs? Dunno., but apoparently my bitch had had a fight with a Labrador bitch. And both my dogs stank of urine, like they had been swimming in it..

Luckily we collected then in the Land Rover, straight down to the canal....splash...splash.

• 8 years later...

We tour in Europe and have left our dog for up to 2 hours with water, good, pulled down blinds and roof vents open. My only worry is if we were to have an accident whilst cycling, walking etc

No one would know that our van has our pet inside.

fred22 - 2009-04-06 3:43 AMDon't assume that your dogs are quiet when you leave them in your van on site.Ask others and the site warden when you get back.We were parked on a site in Yorkshire and two dogs were left in the van whilst their owners went out for the day. The dogs spent the entire day at the vans windows and barked continuously all the time the owners were away. They started as soon as they went out of site and didn't stop until they came back through the site gate. We are not talking about the odd bark when someone walked past close to the van but barking that went on for hours.It was a lovely sunny day and we wanted to sit out but the owners being responsible had left the windows open for the dogs and of course, that made the barks louder for us.We, like many others, made the site owners aware of the problem and when the dog owners were approached they said that they were unaware of the situation as it had not been mentioned before.

Which I suspect is the main reason why some sites have rules about not leaving dogs unattended in MHs, the risk of nuisance to others.

It's not entirely practical to follow such rules of course and I doubt if a substantial proportion of dogs, especially lone dogs, would behave in that way,  But to a neighbour on a campsite such behaviour would be a real nuisance and it should obviously be prevented.

So if you have a yappy dog or dogs I think you do owe it to others to either make sure your dog will settle down quietly or don't left it for longer than for a visit to the toilet.

On the subject of thermal overload, likewise the owner needs to ensure that a dog will not overheat before leaving it unattended.  In a large well ventilated MH with shades down on the sunny side and roof vents open, the risk to the dog will be negligible even if left all day but in a smaller unit, less well provided with shades and roof vents, a dog could very quickly overheat and die.

With our MH I think we're OK in most conditions and fortunate she really does just settle down and go to sleep when she's left.  Years ago we had a dog who would sit "on guard" on the driver's seat throughout our absence; he didn't bark but would stare imperiously at people who passed, providing entertainment rather than irritation.  We wouldn't have left him for an extended period.

So it's down to a risk assessment, taking into account the space, ventilation and shading options of your MH, your dog's personality and dependence on your company, the sun burden of the day and the proximity of dog-hating, curtain-twitching disapprovers in neighbouring camping units!

I realise that this is a very old thread tyhat has been revived but I would like to add some information.

A very good accessory for a dog in this hot weather is a 'Cool Coat'. They are available in all sizes and work very well.

RRT - 2009-04-02 3:53 PMSorry everyone not sure I have the hang of this forum yet. I think I should have replied to you all using the( post a reply button). Infact I used a reply to only one member. Thanks for all the help it has put my mind at rest. (lol) TT
We leave our pooch on occasion but an alternative is to get a doggie trailer that you drag behind you on the pushbike. She has used it since she was a pup so is used to it, when on roads or busy areas she sits in the trailer being cooled by the breeze and when going slower on woodland tracks or in parks she runs along with us. Just take a look on eBay, very handy and the pooche loves it. 

Think it depends on the dog. Fully aware that for some this works perfectly, although I do wonder if something happened while out and about - especially off site, and you couldn't get back in a timely manner.

Our's hates being left alone in the van and barks the place down. - Probably after a while he would stop, but not brave enough to find out. - We tried to leave him on one occasion, he jumped on the bed and ripped the netting behind our blind. - These Remis blinds are crazily expensive, - unfortunately the rip isnt at the end of the material so we would need the entire cassette and they are made to measure for our van - £86 worth.

So, either he comes with us - My wife is disabled so that isnt as bad as it sounds, or one of us stays with him. I would hate to put him in a Kennel, just don't trust them - If we know that we will both be away from the van for some time, - for example at our annual dinner dance, our step daughters will come home and look after him although it isnt an option we can use too regularly. -

Kind of think that we chose to have a dog, - We have to take the responsibility for his welfare. He was "rescued" from a puppy farm which I don't think helps his behaviour at some level, - but above all just like humans, there are dogs and dogs.

Site wardens/owners are partly to blame for the 'yappy....bark....bark....oh no my dog is quiet if left in the MH/caravan' attitude of some owners in that they do not reinforce 'verbally' that it is owners responsibility to ensure dogs do 'not' impinge upon other site users peace and quiet, that dogs should be kept on leads etc etc.

Usually the information is printed on the site 'rules' which seemingly a great percentage of those pitching up either don't bother to read or assume the rules don't apply to them.

Most dog owners are 'responsible' but the 'few' can easily pi55 off so many.

Archived