April MMM, Andy Stothert: Gruissan Aire

robertandjean

Anyone reading Andy's description of the aire at Gruissan would certainly be put off going there. Well don't be. We have stayed on the aire by the beach, the one Andy describes, and the aire by the marina (aire de 4 vents) many times. We have never found the vans parked as close as Andy describes, certainly nothing like St Vallery en Caux, and always enjoyed our stays. We prefer the marina aire as it is nearer to the town and resturants etc. Certainly better than staying on the site up the coast which is in the middle of nowhere and can flood.

Andy is right however, in pointing out Gruissan is worth a visit as is Narbonne which can be reached by bus from Gruissan for 1€ each way. Gruissan also holds many festivals; the wine festival, held around 22/23 October really is worth going to.

Perhaps Andy just visited on a particularly busy bank holiday or is just not an aires person!

Jean and Robert

Andy,

Not our intention to start an argument just wanted to add a bit of balance to your report of the aire at Gruissan based on our experiences.

Speaking of balance thought it might be helpful to give dtails of a few aires we stayed on last year in the Gorge du Tarn, to go alongside your useful campsite reviews:

Florac. Large aire in very nice setting on edge of town; parking free, services 2 €. Florac is well worth a few days being a nice old town to explore and a good stating point for walks.

Ispagnac. Another nice place, this time in Gorge itself. Aire here is free for both parking and services and right in town centre. Be warned however, spaces are very much on short side; we just managed to find one we could fit into with not too much overhang onto access road.

Millau. Right at other end of Gorge aire here has individual spaces marked out with poles and posts. This keeps vans apart but do take care when reversing into pitch! No charge for parking; services 6€. Town is within walking distance and of course from millau you can see the famous bridge.

Jean and Robert

AndyStothert - 2009-04-02 10:30 AM

I'm fed up of arguing with folk on here so I won't.

It was really busy when we stayed there, and I do like a lot of space between me and the rest of you.

Come on Andy chill out a bit, no need to bite his head off.

I stay at the Gruissan Aire (Four Winds) up to four times a year as a stopping off point to and from Spain in the Spring and Autumn. After mid November you can stay free.

The Aire fills up quite quickly after 5pm but there is a mass exodus each morning. I always fill up with water as I arrive because the facilities are in heavy demand in the morning especially if you wish to leave early.

If you plan to stay more than one night (as we frequently do) it is best to move to the area overlooking the water where you can park a good distance from your neighbour. The main problem with the Aire is that it is invariably cold because it is exposed and windy; hence its name.

A good alternative is the Aire at Narbonne close to Carrefour (not the coastal one) where we also stay. Here there is electric, water and dumping facilitries in the price which from memory is about 7.10 euros. There is also a free bus service into the town from this Aire so all in all its very good value.

I haven't read Andy's piece so apologies if this information repeats anything he has written.

Oooooo ... St Valery en Caux!!!! I wish I was there!!! Sardine tin style or not! :D

Andy ... do not go there ... you'll really be traumatised, it is so popular they squeeze in every nook and cranny (I know 'cause we did!). Ours was the little Rapido sandwiched just behind the one facing forward.

63802714_StValeryenCauxAire-2005.jpg.bcb963d132214307c98f995649b475ce.jpg

As Clive realises my comments about arguing weren't aimed at Robert and Jean, but the whole sorry bleedin' Fiat Ducato saga, in which I've been arguing with seemingly everyone for years.

So that's it. I'm now officially not arguing with anyone. About anything.

I don't think.

Having a house in France and a motorhome but not having read Andy's article I have stayed at Guissan plage out of season and visited it in season when it is very crowded. Many aires in France in popular locations are getting increasingly congested at peak times -summer weekends and July and August especially and one is packed in like sardines. Guissan indeed is lovely spot but along with so many locations on the med is! too popular and with that comes congestion.

In our town Mazamet where there is an aire as part of the large carpark I often notice the French herd instinct in action. There are no dedicated spots for motorhomes but invariably when one parks the next arrivals go and park close to the original in spite of many available spots. Indeed this has happened to us on quite a few aires where there has been plenty of space which personally we find irritating

Quick update re 4 Vents Aire. On camping car infos forum pages French vanners are reporting that this aire may close at end of year for new residential development. It does not seem clear cut however, as others suspect that in present economic climate may not now go ahead, but one to keep an eye on. (As an aside it is interesting to note how polite contibuters are on that forum with certainly none of the aggresion seen here on certain "juddering" threads of late!)

All the best

Jean and Robert

Archived