tenerife in a rapido

misty

hi misty, we used to live in tenerife and saw a few motorhomes whilst we were there.when we moved back to england and bought a motorhome our first thought was to go to tenerife in it , although we couldn't recall ever seeing a campsite there.anyway, we did a bit of delving and found to our horror that the crossing (takes 2 days, very choppy) was over £2000 return.also, we have found only one campsite (of sorts) which is not in the tourist area and approx 4 miles from the coast. if you don't mind wild camping,i think there are plenty of places you could stay and quite safely.although i do think waste disposal and water would prove to be a problem. if you do go, please let me know how it went, i will be very interested.

Hi Misty, welcome to the forum, like trickydicky says the cost of the ferry's are very expensive, and the other thing we have noticed with Teneriffe over the last few years is that the weather is not as reliable as it used to be, so with not a lot of sites I only seen two though did see a few motorhomes wild camping but not many (we had gone to a friends apartment) not taken the motorhome there.   I would do a lot of research before taking your van there for the winter.  I am sure you will have more positive replies as well, any other questions please ask this is usually a helpful forum.  Good luck where ever you decide to go. Carol.

misty - 2009-04-03 4:22 PM

what is the best way to get to tenarife 'in winter in our rapido.are there any camp sites there

We toured five of the seven islands, we had a Auto sleeper Legend at the time and we had no problems at all. Wild camping is tolerated almost everywhere.

There are a few camp sites about on Tenerife and Grand Canary. If you do a google search you will find them. One we liked in Tenerife was just north of the airport Camping Oasis.

The ferry fare is expensive but if you go for the winter it does not work out to bad. It goes about once a week from Cadiz.

Don

hymer c 9, just thought i'd mention about the weather in tenerife. as you have also noticed it seems to have changed over the years.we used to live there and we found that the more built up it became and the more congested the roads and airport became etc. etc the more the clouds came.friends of ours who still live there swear this is the reason for the change.they live very close to the motorway and airport, and have lots of new buildings around them and they say it clouds over most days now, compared to 10 years ago.

thanks to everyone for your help and advice.except libby your advice i can do without .we have been to tenerife for the last 3 years in hotels .seen a few vans .on the street car parks .and waist ground. but no camp sites.the weather has got worse every year. we have never been abroad with a van yet .maybe tenerife is the wrong place to start.might try benidorm insted.we know its a bit tacky .and the weather is not good in winter but we do love the place .while staying in hotels .had a walk round a few camp sites. so we know where they are. when we have more experience traveling abroad .we will go to tenerife.thanks again

Blimey, I've just played about with some notional dates, Out April, back Sept and the cost of Cadiz to Tenerife return was £2400 ish.

Of course most folk wouldn't be going for the summer but more for the winter presumably but that seems like an awful lot of dosh.

Pays yer money takes yer choice as usual applies.

Martyn

Just got back from Tenerife, (3 weeks ago) Golf Del Sur. We saw a few vans whilst there, some with other island "stickers" on, most had Spanish No. plates. No idea about camp sites. What we did notice was that to the west of where we were in the "Bondu" the locals parked close to the beach with caravans and motorhomes and spent the weekends fishing! Very nice indeed and it seemed to be accepted. (Chill, catch your food then barbie it over an open fire)

This winter the weather has been the coldest for a good few years, one local Brit complained that he had bought a vest and jacket this year because of the cold. We were there for four weeks, had a few wet days with the temp about 10c, but on the whole it was sunny and dry with temp 15c plus.

Hi Misty, notice you say you may try Benidorm, give it a try there are some really good sites around we stayed at El Raco, it was very good with a good swimming pool and just a pleasant walk into Benidorm. Enjoy you summer where ever you travel. Carol.

Archived