Trailer or A Frame

Maubern

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Maubern

We tow a Citroen C1 behind ours on an A frame and it tows like a dream. Bought the complete outfit from Towbars-to-towcars and they did a superb job and a good deal on P/X wifes Rover 25 (Who wants one of them now?) They fit an electronic breaking system in the towcar which is operated from a live feed from the towing vehicle and it is very effective. They supply everything-A frame, wiring, mini computer in towcar, 13 pin plug on both vehicles, breakaway cable, bag to put it all in when not in use and even a sign saying 'TOWCAR' and numberplate-all inclusive.

So far I can't fault it and it's a lot dryer than the scooter in England! As a matter of interest the fuel consumption doesn't go up when I'm towing-probably because I drive slower and better!

Mike

I have just read a book "How katie pulled Boris", an English couple who bought an American RV (33ft) and towed a small Mercedes 'A' Class on a trailer. Although due to the weight of the RV they had to pass a LGV once they announced that they were towing using 'A' Frame they had to then take a HGV test because of combined weight. There were also differences when passing through tolls, dependent on country the rules varied as did the prices ! I have also just read an article about someone who fell foul of the Portugese police when towing motorcycles. The police were wrong but it did not stop them from fining the individual who has now engaged his MP in addressing the problems.

No doubt this argument will roll on for ever without ever reaching a conclusion, but to me it seems so obvious.

If you cannot do the things that you want to do with a motorhome unencumbered by a trailer then .surely your need to rethink the problem?

You are contemplating trundling around in an outfit comprising a mobile home and a car, so you have two basic options:

1. A nice suitable car, my current choice would be a Ford Galaxy diesel, towing a caravan that gives you the style of accomodation that you want, I would choose one of the two axle Swift jobbies. This gives you a very pleasant driving experience, with all mod cons, ease of service and good fuel economy and nearly a ton of carrying capacity. You drive to the site of your choice, set up your comfortable caravan, and use a nice car to go out and about on your excursions.

2. A three and a half ton van, generally from the Sevel stable, converted into a caravan, towing behind it a necessarily small car, maybe on a trailer, maybe on an A frame of dubious legality. This will give you the driving experience to be expected when driving a converted van, permanently loaded to nearly it's full capacity, the mod cons will have to overcome the engine and road noise that are normal with large vans, will have to try to heat or cool a space many times larger than the designers intended, and in most cases your carrying capacity is quite limited. You drive to the site of your choice, set up your comfortable motorhome, which is more or less the same as for the caravan , your must disentangle your little car from it's trailor/brackets, find somewhere to parkthe trailer if applicable, and you can toddle of on your excursions in your modest little Peugeot 106 or even a Smart car.

Anyone who would contemplate reversing a small trailer behind a large motorhome, especially one with a 6 or 7 foot overhang, would have no problems reversing a large caravan behind a normal sized car.

For those of us who indulge in heroic journeys, I find that it takes me the same time to drive to or from the South of France to the Channel ports in any of the motorhomes we have had as it did to do it in both of my Ford Galaxies towing bothof our Swift Conquerers.

AGD

I dont want to get bogged down in this discussion but if your personal plumbing is less than perfect a suitably equipped motorcaravan is more shall we say 'convenient.'

Reversing a a motorcaravan towing a car on an A frame would probably make an entertaining challenge for the Top Gear programme.

Getting fined for an unregistered UK based trailer is hard luck. Unless you speak the language explaining that (unlike most of the EU) trailers are not registered in the UK and that only vehicles permantly kept in a particular country can be registered there could be difficult.

I would try bluff. refuse to pay and politely demand to go to court immediatly. There is a good chance the pile of paperwork required would deter the police from further action.

Don't forget bull###t baffles brains.

If it goes to court with any luck the court official would have a better understanding of EU law relating to the international circulation of vehicles.

After some research on towing I have opted to use a trailer for peace of mind and for reduced wear and tear on the towed vehicle. In answer to those who think towing a car with a Motorhome is reverse caravaning we stop regularly overnight in Aires and have the option to wildcamp. When on site we take off to the beach or mountains in the motorhome for the day with our home comforts (freshly brewed cuppa) I get to wash up after lunch and maybe a nap in a nice bed. The car provides for trips to the supermarket, visit town and city centres and other conveniences.

After four years of traveling without a car we found ourselves restricted to selecting sites with good public transport or hiring a car. So rather than leave the car at home for months on end in the garage we now take it with us.

Archived