Generators

tonyfletcher

Hi All,

Just bought a generator for those desparate moments. Followed the instructions, boiled a low voltage kettle ok, but when I plugged in to the Motor home, the reverse polarity light glows.

Is this common? or do I have to use the reverse polarity lead I have made for the Continent?

Cheers

Tony

I am using the same lead that I use when I connect the Motor home to the House. This works fine, all 3 wires are connected. Disconnecting the lead from the house and plugging it into the geny causes the reverse polarity light to glow?????

Cheers

Tony

Tony, I don't think that I can help you much more here, except to check that the generator is wired correctly and that the live is indeed the live etc.

Do you mean the reverse polarity light fitted into your motorhome?

Have you tried running the generator with a reversed lead?

Sorry, not much help.

Question for Dave Newell.

Would there be any harm in connecting the generator earth to the generator neutral, so as to replicate the domestic supply conditions?

Presumably this would put out the reverse polarity light in the motorhome?

If you wish then connect the generator EARTH and NEUTRAL connections inside the socket outlet on the generator. NO WHERE ELSE.

You MUST then put a substancial earth stake into ground and connect this to the generator EARTH.

You must then check for correct operation of your RCD on a regular basis.

Isolated output generators are permitted in the UK providing they are used to power one piece of equipment or power tool. As soon as the supply is routed to more than one outlet or place then neutral bonding and earthing is required.

Much more details in V17 of the IEE regs.

C.

Archived