12V TV Socket

frankie0308

Could anyone out there help a rookie? I have just purchased a 12v TV with a mains inverter power lead. This is OK when electrically hooked up but I asked a dealer for a 12v plug and lead with my TV size jack plug and he said I also need a 12v voltage regulator at a cost of £50. Is this absolutely necessary, surely there can't be a major power surge from a 12v battery which would cause the TV damage?

Any advice would be appreciated

Frank

Guest Tracker

I've never used a voltage regulator or stabiliser on a TV and never had any problems.

I do believe that modern TV's may possibly have their own protection for reverse polarity or too high a voltage?

They certainly have low voltage protection 'cos if the battery goes to low they cut out before damage can occur.

The TV's handbook might tell you?

Not that I know a lot about the properties of electricity or TV sets!

Although Tracker is right, in that many do not bother using a 12v regulator, the dealer is also correct in advising you to do the proper thing. If the tv did go wrong because he had not told you, you would be straight back to him.

I have never used one with out issue, but you never know.

The trouble is that most LCD TVs are designed for domestic use and to save money the voltage stabilisation is done in the "power brick" and not in the TV. The danger is that if you plug your TV directly into a 12V supply in your motorhome when on hookup or if you use a solar panel for example the battery voltage could be as high as 14.4V which can damage some TVs. So not using a stabiliser/regulator carries some risk unless you know for fact that the TV in question has on board stabilisation. In the words of Clint Eastwood, "do you feel lucky"?

D.

I think you need to read the handbook carefully for that particular model. I have a Sharp Aquos LCD which has to have a regulator and cannot be used as a computer monitor and I also have a cheapy fllat screen (I'm away in m/home so cannnot give name). That one doesn't need a regulator and can also be used as a monitor. The Sharp regulator cost me £42.

Many thanks for all your replies. I guess I will take the Clint Eastwood option on the basis that the regulator is half the cost of the telly :-D

Frank

PS We are off on our inaugural trip tomorrow.....just local, to test out the gas, electric water, toilet, shower etc. Wish us luck!!

frankie0308 - 2009-04-06 3:26 PM

Could anyone out there help a rookie? I have just purchased a 12v TV with a mains inverter power lead. This is OK when electrically hooked up but I asked a dealer for a 12v plug and lead with my TV size jack plug and he said I also need a 12v voltage regulator at a cost of £50. Is this absolutely necessary, surely there can't be a major power surge from a 12v battery which would cause the TV damage?

Any advice would be appreciated

Frank

Are you sure that the tv is actually designed for 12 volts. Can you measure the output of the mains psu brick.? I have a sony flat screen telly which I thought was 12 volts but in fact is 16.5 volts so requires a step up from the 12 volts (nominal) which is acheived by an inverter.. The leisure battery on charge will output about 14 volts and a solar panel nominally gives 20 volts on open circuit , but when connected to battery can overcharge the battery unless used with a regulator. On its own a panel driving the telly might cause a problem, but only if it has sufficient current output capability on load and is in full sunlight, rather unlikely scenario.

Even when the panel in full sunlight is driving the leisure battery, the battery voltage will struggle to get above 14 volts, as gassing will set in

eventually destroying the battery

So, my recommendation is recheck the telly is actually 12 volts type, it may be higher. Unless you have a super high power solar panel , dont worry about its effect on telly, provided the panel is used with a regulator. Dont try the solar panel to feed telly on its own without battery in circuit , it probably wont work. If telly is genuine 12 volts, connecting to a fully charged leisure battery is very unlikely to damage telly, but theoretically possible. However if you consider that mains voltage can be 230 +6% and telly should be able to take it without damage when on mains, just add similar overvoltage to 12 volts and that is still within the safe working margin for telly. If telly is so sensitive that it suffers on 14 volts from battery, I would recommend only using it on mains hookup. Dont forget that van wiring and plug socket connection will cause some slight voltage drop .

If all else fails, leave telly at home!, and speak to you friendly motorhome neighbours instead.

tonyg3nwl

Thank you Tony, very comprehensive. Telly is definitely 12v and we do not have a panel so I guess it looks as if we will be OK without the regulator and as you say, if it blows a fuse then we can resort to the tried and tested chat and wine option. Frank

Archived