Royan Ferry

Knaus

Hi

Has anyone used the Royan Ferry? I see it costs about £38 for the 'van plus £3 per person. (Not as bad as the Isle of Wight rip off).

Would like to visit the Dune of Pyla and go along the coast and perhaps back on the Blaye ferry.

Anyone done this?

Yes, I've used them both over the years. The Royan ferry is a nice little trip and makes a change from time spent on the road. Had some piccies somewhere but can't trace them at the moment. They probably vanished into the electronic black hole of last years hard disk crash. If they turn up however.... The Blaye ferry is equally useful, doesn't cost much and Blaye is worth a peruse around.

£38 sounds a bit steep though. Last time of course we only had a little van conversion and then there's the Euro thingy at the moment too :'(

Eggnog

We discovered the Royan ferry last summer, and found it a very pleasant crossing - yes, nice change from driving everywhere.

We then spent the best part of a week based at the Aire at Le Verdon (although we broke our stay for a couple of days). Most unlike us to stay in one place for so long, but it was a lovely spot with the beach nearby and the town a short walk away.

Have used this ferry many times over many years. We've only used it on the way back from south west coast of France.

In recent years it's been modernised and bigger ferries are in use, (we used to have to drive onto the side of the ship).

Excellent beaches all along the coast from Le Verdon down to Cap Ferret, although last time we were there the sites at Lacanau Ocean and Hourtin Plage were getting expensive.

I used it in March about five years ago, pleasant trip but seemed expensive. Don't arrive around lunchtime as they stop for lunch and you wait a long time if you just miss one unless they have changed the timetable.

Stuart

We used it many years ago when you drove on (and off) over the side, and if unlucky, your van's back end overhung the side when crossing the sea! Even then it was very expensive.

We last used it a couple of years ago,and I seem to remember that for the mtoorhome plus 2 of us it was around €44 single.

It'sa nice trip and does save some mileage/time, and they were latterley using a drive on/off ferry oike the Isleof Wight ones, although I did notice the side-loader was still visible, so maybe they also use that in peak periods.

These are the Tarifs for 2009/10

Tariff for single crossing

The figures below are given as an indication. The applied tariffs are those in force at the time of the crossing.

Passenger: 3.10 Euro

no charge for children below 4

Car (not including driver) 22.30 Euro

Caravan:

length above 3 meters: 27.90 Euro

length below 3 meters: 10.20 Euro

Camping-car (not including driver) 38.40 Euro

Bicycle (not including cyclist) 1.60 Euro

Motorcycle (not including motocyclist) 10.20 Euro

If you want the timetables then try this link:

http://www.bernezac.com/passages_eau_royan_verdon_uk.htm

We went on it years ago, remember driving over the side to get on and off and having to reverse up the side, like in a car park, we went up the dune, lovely view, took me three hours to recover, didn't find the steps untill i come back down, so went up the hard/killer way

Pete

Archived