site wi fi

clay

Site wifi can be expensive on some sites in the uk and not all sites have it, for the sake of a few pounds I would get a dongle, if i didnt already have one - that way it doesnt matter where you are if there is a signal your up and away. For some reason a lot of sites in france seem to have free wifi for their customers as well as offering cheaper pitches compared to the uk

clay - 2009-04-07 8:04 PM

noticed more and more sites are offering wi fi, havent tried it but was just wondering is it expensive and does it work well. or would i be better off buying a payg dongle

Short answer for me,is yes, have a dongle. SOme good deals around, I havve had one for over a year, and at the time paid £10 per month for 1Gb per month download. I find that adequate but there are better offers from time to time.

OI have used it in various parts of the UK, and generally found a pretty good signal Bit slow sometimes, but far better than paying a high charge. Caravan club is (was?) £6 for an hour, used over max 24 hrs......and the signal may not reach your van depedning on how far from the aerial you are.

Mine also covers my home use, as I don't have a landline.

DOn't use the dongle abroad though, it is VERY expensive, unless you can find a 'special' deal, which I think may be possible with some providers.

we were going to buy one until we found out how expensive they are to use in SOME countries, spain and france being amonst them. sweden and germany were free though,so if your going there no problem.people we met in spain have just had their bill for £200 and they were very careful using it.

Bought a vodaphone dongle (payg) just last week, used it a Ravenglass ccc site (they charge £3.00 per hour, done what i wanted and it cost me 40p.

It was a bit slow there, gprs, but at Bowness it was quicker, still only used 60ps worth.

£39.00 for the dongle, but it was loaded with £15.00's worth of credit.

You Can't use it abroad though, you need to migrate to there pay monthly tarriff.

Pete

Agree with you, breakaleg, Vodaphone dongle is best way to go, only have to use it once every 6 months to keep it active (some have to use all credit in a month). Can also use it on linux operating system with a bit of work getting it set up - great if youve got one of the little netbooks which dont work on windows.

Only disadvantage is it only works in the uk.

little jack

Archived