Rear Suspension Squeak

Keith T

We havea Bustner Marano on the Fiat x250, on the 3500 light chassis, now about 20 months old. For some time we have endured an annoying and often embarassing squeak at low speeds(especially audible on bumpy roads and speed humps), which I suspect is coming from the rear suspension.

It has been back to the dealer on several occasions, and most latterley they have adjusted all the torque settings of the springs, and lubricated everything and ssay they can do no more.....It still squeaks.

We do have additional AS suspension (adjustable Firestone Airbags) but I cannot see that thes e should affect anything as they are of a rubber-type material, and the dealers have never suggested these could be the casue anyway.

Anyone with a similar problem, or any suggestions?

have got the same problem on a 2005 hymer on an alko chassis 3.9 tonnes fitted with the same air assisted suspension.

being a technical numpty i had no idea what the noise indicated. now i do know where it's coming from i've no idea how to cure it.

will wait for some tech minded people to come up with a diagnosis & treatment. i hope.

Not too sure of your suspension set up but if you have leaf springs with secondary air bags I recollect this problem was rectified by squirting WD40 between the leaves of the springs. Plain engine oil from an oil can would also work, but take longer to work itself in. Would be advisable to place something on ground immediately below springs to avoid staining roadway.

Good Luck,

Gordon...

Probably yet another aspect of sleepy van syndrome.

There are often plastic spacers on the end of secondary leaf springs to reduce friction with the main leaf. Rust and road dirt get between plastic and steel causing friction and sqeaks. Daily use keeps the rust at bay.

A dry lubricant is better than oil /grease which just accumulates grit to form a grinding paste. A silicon spray is a better bet or even a dusting with powdered graphite. Opening the leaves a fraction with a screwdriver or thin lever helps get the lubricant in place.

These noises often happen after dry weather and then go for a while when it rains as water can act as a lubricant.

• 1 month later...

took my van to AS Suspension, Warrington to have a compressor & gauges fitted. phil asked me if i was having any squeaking because he could see 2 metal parts rub together & they aren't lubricated. they are now & no squeak.

i have the driverite system and a welded 'spacer' has broken off on one side. on the same side part of the driverite system has distorted possibly because of the missing 'spacer'

going to have the driverite system removed & get AS to put the rest of their system on instead.

Guest Tracker
If it only does it in the dry but stops squeaking in the rain it is a lubrication issue but before you squirt WD40 or oil on it do ensure that the rubber - or synthetic material - parts involved are resistant to such chemicals otherwise you could do a lot of expensive damage if the lubricant melts the rubber.

My mate has the same van as me a Hymer Tramp on X250, I was doing a bit of wiring for him a couple of weeks ago & I noticed the rear springs on his van were squeaking just walking about in the van, my van is silent.

The X250 has plastic discs between the spring leafs but it sounded to me more like the spring squeaking in the mounting hangers.

I would suggest a squirt of Silicon spray around the mountings & discs whilst the van is jacked up to take the load off the springs so you get better penetration (no rude comments please I know what you lot are like).

Archived