Tunnel to Italy

kelly58

I have travelled through the Mont Blanc Tunnell and the Frejus Tunnell into Italy, but I seem to rember reading a travel report possibly in MMM where someone went through another tunnell that was not charged for into Italy is there anyone with knowledge of this route I have looked in some past issues of MMM but cannot find the article.

Do like I do, go over the top, that is definitely free and you go from France into Italy without the swiss-hassle.

The best way is via montgenevre, go round Lyon, round Grenoble, over Les Deux Alps, into Briançon over the top into Cesena Torinese,I think it is(it's very small) then I get on to the motorway (Italian ordinary roads are a bit rough). There's lots of little tunnels as you go over and they are "rough-hewn" so you need to watch them. I first went through in a truck about 20odd years ago (when we was allowed to). a word of advice "let go the horn" (preferably Air)before you go into them(the tunnels,that is) and listen if you hear one come back, wait. But it's a wonderful trip over Les Deux alps and the scenery is something else. If the pass(s) are closed due to snow a board tells you the other side of Lyon so you can divert to Frejus

Believe it or not but there isn't any real climbs, not whatI call Climbs anyway

Archived