2007 Fiat Ducato 2.3 X250 Servicing

AndyStothert

My last Mercedes service (two weeks ago) was £257.68 covering oil, wiper blades odds and ends plus labour. It was a standard Merc dealer in Crawley by the name of Rossets, who also have other sites in Worthing and Eastbourne.

No Habitation check though which was not asked for, and you may have included, but not stated.

I later found wiper blades for 25% less so they will be fitted by me before next time.

But how can anyone quote for a service unless they state what is to be carried out, any faults guessed at cannot be quoted as known before a service, they must be including lots of pre-failed parts they HOPE to find.

Or are they making up for lost revenue via FIAT factory problems?

Or Andy, has your name been leaked to the dealers??

Bill

Wow when you consider a service is filters and oil change plus some basic checks how can they justify that.I presume your not up to cam belt change yet?

You would be better going to a non franchise garage if they use genuine Fiat parts the warrenty stays in tact (I think)

Is ther other work to be done brakes etc?

Wait until next in Spain typical labour main dealer less than 40e an hour.

AndyStothert - 2009-04-08 5:49 PM

I have been quoted £540 for the van's second service today by our local Fiat dealer (Preston Motor Park) and wondered if anyone has had the second service done, and at what cost.

This seems expensive to me.

I am not surprised, the majority of the cost is for scrapping the iron filing out of the gearbox (lol)

I have been quoted £540 for the van's second service today by our local Fiat dealer (Preston Motor Park) and wondered if anyone has had the second service done, and at what cost.

You're having us on Andy ... April 1st has well gone!!! :-D

Seriously, they are taking the proverbial .... extortionate in the extreme comes to my mind. I'd suggest contacting another Fiat dealership and see what they say. It shouldn't be anything like this even if there are a few more bits to do with you possibly having a higher mileage van than usual, but there really shouldn't be as white van man would still have a higher mileage and not pay through the nose like this. If the other dealership comes back with a similar stupid figure I'd certainly contact a local non-franchised garage and get a quote from them instead, using genuine parts, oil etc (get them to give you proof - invoices, receipts etc ... just to be safe!).

Are you sure you were asking for a vehicle service???? 8-)

Mine 2.3 Burstner Fiat from Chelston is booked for its 2nd year service in July, and they quote a fixed cost of I think around £400+...I'll check their exact figure next time I go to the van and post it on this thread. I thought that was a lot, and its for the Fiat siude only, and they want another £199 for the habitation check, which I am not having done,apart from Damp and Gas.

Will be interesting to hear other's expereince as there must be a loit of this model now coming up for 2nd year service?

Try getting a quote from Piccadily Motors at Ripon (01765 600641) - my first low mileage service was quoted at £151. At least you might be armed with something for negotiation

My brother was asked for £180 for his first service on his Triumph motorbike and asked to see the boss - told him it was outrageous and so the boss said "how about £90"!

Lots of places will now do price matching

Seems a rip off to me Andy, but when Caladonia on Portway quoted me an extortionate price for servicing my Fiat Ducato,I kicked them into touch and took my van into Ploxs Motors in Tarleton, I have no connection with them but highly reccomend them, it's a family run business owned by Frank & Julie Halsall and their son Martin would be worthwile giving them a ring on 01772 813437. Plox Motors, Plox Brow, Tarleton, Preston. PR4 6HB.

Regards

Phil

Andy you dont seem very popular with Fiat at the moment think if it was me i would try a few more Fiat dealers to see if this amount is normal

The problem we all have with the warranty (and it looks as though we are going to need it) is that the 3rd year is totally dependent on the vehicle being serviced within the Fiat dealer network, so independents are out if we want that 3rd year warranty.

Our last van, a Citroen version, the second year service was £122, but that is four year ago now.

Andy, sounds outrageous. For comparison with a direct competitor van my Renault goes in for its second service next week. There is a mandatory menu pricing system in operation I was told - which makes it dearer - but it is still "only" £262. Incidentally, I know from the first service that the dealer will invoice me for 8, 1L bottles of engine oil at a cost of around £100, even though he admitted under questioning that it will be taken from a 200L drum............

Bob

Andy, that is obscene. Our Boxer has just had it's "C" service, (the big one), I was quoted £300+ at the main Peugeot dealer not a million miles from yourself which is where I've always gone.

My now fully qualified Peugeot Technician Nephew rattled it off for the princely sum of £120. Plus he cured a couple of bits & bobs whilst he was at it.

Of course we have no warranty issues to contend with but that does seem steep to me, I'd try again somewhere else.

Martyn

I've just rung Walton Summit Truck Centre, which is an official Fiat dealer, and the quote was £160 - 180, depending on which fuel filters are used.

It looks as though Preston Motor Park (formerly Caledonia) should be avoided for servicing our motorhomes.

*I forgot to add that is plus VAT at the truck centre.

Andy

Last July I rang around for prices for the first "small" service, they varied between 170-260, yes and my local Sheffield Fiat dealer was the 260. When I tried to question the difference I was asked "do you want it doing or not?"They knocked 10% off AND it's on my doorstep. Rates at the time for full service were generally just under £400. Paying is easier if the work is done well by qualified mechanics and not just "people" who tick the check boxes.PS have seen the small tins of oil used in there hundreds whilst broke down at a garage in France last year.

chris

Andy,

We had our second service carried out by our local Fiat dealership on 5th March 2009.  It came to £157.31 (labour £75.12, parts £61.67).  If you're interested the invoice was broken down as follows :-

1) Carry out low mileage service to manufacturer's specification £75.12

2) Oil filter £20.18

3) 5 Ltr oil £33.75

4) 1 Ltr oil £8.60

5) VAT £20.52

Hope this helps

W2G

W2G.

Comparison!! July 2008

low mileage service 117.68

FST (fuel system treatment!! 12.77

Gasket 1.41

oil filter 15.41

3 x 2ltr. Selenia 5w-40 oil 56.97

vat 35.74

PS Fiat allow about 1hr 15min for this, so what is the labour rate!!!!!

close on £100/hr, not bad

chris

Andy

First year low mileage service £216 including VAT at Fiat Autoworld Chesterfield done last week. Second year service is identical so would expect to pay a similar amount next year. In the handbook Year 3 includes brake fluid change, year 5 includes cam belt replacement and year 6 brake fluid change. Incidentally Brownhills charge about the same but as Newark cant do Fiat warranty work I went to a franchised dealer who I have used before and who are reliable.

Guest peter
For your information Camper U/K near Lincoln are now approved Fiat Proffesional Service Agents now and have a menu system which looks pretty competetive.

Archived