Mobile Broadband for Confused Kiwis

alistair

But that is the point Clive, it does cost more abroad, but trying to find out in simple terms has eluded me. As I understand it whatever deal you have you for the dongle you still need to add on the phone cost. 38p per minute it seems. I have BT Broadband at home which gives me 350 minutes wi fi use on openzone hot spots some of which are phone boxes. I am going to join BTFon and give up some of my home capacity which I don`t use completely and be able to use others who also belong. Anyone else any experience of this?

Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

For some time we have been looking for an inexpensive pay-as-you-go mobile broadband for occasional internet/check emails use whilst away in our MH.  Thanks to the contributors here, we have found the perfect answer.

We have gone for the Vodafone memory stick at £39.  As you know, it comes with 1GB with top-ups available at £15 for each 1GB.

On Friday morning we set off for a long weekend away in the Cotswolds and left home with £30 worth of 'air time' available.  We have been using it on and off and have been surfing for approx 6 hours and have sent/received 5 emails so far.

I've just checked my account and still have £29.18 remaining!!  Absolutely fabulous, just the job.

I looked at the other suppliers and there were all sorts of can and can't/do and don't but the £39 Vodafone is plain and straight forward.  As long as I log in within 6 months (no problem there) I keep all the credit.

Thank you so much for the advice and help.

We had a SKY package, TV. BROADBAND, and TELEPHONE we have just cancelled the lot for 2 reasons,[1] the same package to new customers is half the price [ we have been with them 4 years ]. [2] We are spending more and more time away, so the answer for us might be the memory stick which would give us travel broadband UK and internet when we are home.

hymer1942 - 2009-05-03 2:00 PM Can you tell me is there a contract with this. Regards Barrie

If that was for the Vodafone Mobile Broadband, no there is no contract although competative monthly contracts are available.  We just wanted something for occasional use at weekends.

According to the specification 1GB should give you approx 30 hours plus 650 emails plus downloads.

Hope this helps.

W2G

If you need to change your SKY contract, cancel what you have and wait until the contract is ended.

Then organise another contract in the name of different family member.

Regarding Vodafone BB mobile, its so simple, just keep control of the usage.

Bought the Vodafone PAYG dongle a week ago with £15 air time included, used it for 3 hrs, just topped up with another £15 voucher and find I have more credit than I started with (£30 plus).

And it runs as quick as my Vista PC.

I say again !

I've been trying to make sense of the Vodafone website and pricing when abroad. It seems important to distinguish between "Mobile Internet Costs" which refer to getting internet and emails on your phone, and "Mobile Broadband" which refers to the dongle in the laptop. The dongle on the laptop costs a minimum of £9.99 for a 24 hour period midnight to midnight uk time, and allows 50mb in that period. The phone option "Mobile Inernet" costs "up to £5 a day for less than 1mb, between 1 and 15 mb costs £5 a day". Vodafone say "4 web pages would be about 50p". That prices out the dongle abroad for me and makes the internet phone option just possible for occasional use with an appropriate phone. No idea about other networks !

I tried to make head & tail of the Vodafone German website as far as I could see you can get a PAYG dongle for 50€ and costs 4.95€ an hoour to use.

Looks like there is no such thing as cheap mobile internet across the channel, at least a lot of campsites over there have free wifi & plenty of internet cafes.

When I started this thread I hoped for a few responses to help clarify things for me. My expectations have been exceeded, and it seems to have spawned one or two other threads connected to the topic. Amazing! There's obviously a lot of interest in the topic.

The Vodafone option seems to have received the most favourable comments, presumably because coverage is good and pricing, although higher than some rivals, is not excessive.

When I use wifi or ethernet cable connections in the UK or Europe, those connections simply provide a "pipe" into the internet, and once connected, I can use my laptop just as I would at home, including sending and receiving email using Outlook or Outlook Express, without changing any settings. On one of the other threads, there has been comment on setting up the laptop to use the dongle connection for emailing, and it appeared that while emails could be received using the normal "home" settings for Outlook or Outlook Express, to send emails required changing the settings to use the Vodafone outgoing server. Is this what others have found? I had been hoping that once the internet connection had been established, I could use the laptop as I would at home. Obviously, once on the internet I can use webmail by going to my home ISP's website, but I really want to be able to use the POP/SMTP system that we all use if emailing via Outlook, Outlook Express or equivalent email program so that sent and received emails are on my laptop rather than on my ISP's server.

All comments gratefully received!

Alistair

Hi Alister,

To send mail via Outlook when using the Vodafone dongle you need to change the SMTP server to:- send.vodafone.net

I would try out Thunderbird it allows multiple SMTP servers it just takes quick click to change to the SMTP server of the network you are on (just need to change the default).

Archived