Slovenia

Stewart

We are planning a trip in June of this year and we intend to visit Slovenia. Does anyone have any experience of travelling there. Any tips about places to visit, campsites or other information would be most welcome.

Stewart

Stewart - 2009-04-10 1:32 PM

We are planning a trip in June of this year and we intend to visit Slovenia. Does anyone have any experience of travelling there. Any tips about places to visit, campsites or other information would be most welcome.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Here's a couple of sites that will help you on your way.

http://www.langdale-associates.com/Slovenia%202004/slovenia.htm

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/category/8/21/30/

Enjoy your trip.

Don

Hi,

If you haven't already done so buy a guide book. I used 'Rough Guide' last year which was most useful.

Try www.casmping-bled.com. The campsite is excellent - by the lakeside and a pleasant and easy walk or cycle ride into Bled as long as you turn left from the site and don't use the main road. Friendly and helpful staff. You can get a free guide to campsites in Slovenia from reception. An excellent walk from Bled is to and through Vintgar George. An excellent excurison is to Lake Bohinj where there is a superb walk round the lake with two interesting churches on route. Motorhome parking was easy. There is a campsite by the lake but it was closed in May so we didn't use it.

Also try www.ljubljanaresort.si. This is a pleasant site (with a hotel and leisure centre adjacent) 5km from the city centre and directly opposite a bus stop the city. If my memory serves me correct the fare was 1 euro each way. I would say 'not to be missed' are the Postojna caves with 'the human fish' and Predjama castle. A combined ticket is available for both these attractions and they are easy to visit on a day trip from Llubljana.

Both the sites I have mentioned we used last May and they were popular with British and Dutch motorhomers and caravanners. Slovenia is not cheap so don't expect bargains.

Have a super time.

Hi Stewart,

We ended up in Slovenia last year we were going to the Baltic coast but the weather was so bad we got as far as Belgium and then turned south.

We too spent a few days at lake Bled very pretty.

Some pohot's on my picasa web album :

http://picasaweb.google.com/lennyhb

Photo's from last one on 2nd row are Slovenia, camp site we stayed on by the river was about 3/4 of the way down the top section of Soca Valley towards Bovec,I can't remember what it was called but was lovely & peaceful miles from anywhere.

My signature photo is on Stellplatz at Bovec about 5€ a night inc. free electricity (pay by the hour at meter) & the bar has free wifi.

Campsites about 20€ a night (Motohome & 2 people) plus 3€ for electricity. Food at camp site restaurants not very good value but restaurants in the villages very good.

We really enjoyed our stay there, great county for water sports white water rafting, canoeing the rapids etc., nearly everyone speaks English so very easy to get info etc.

Be aware, also, that you need a motorway road tax disc, which we purchased at services just before entering the country from Austria. It's not cheap - about 35 euros for minimum 6 months, I think it was?

Also, be careful when parking in Lluljana.  We got clamped for parking in a spot because the sign explained, in Slovene only, that the spot was reserved for a private user.  Only park in the normal white painted parking spots.  And take care also when driving in the National Park areas, that you don't park (even if just for lunch by one of their beautiful lakes) outside of the designated carparks.

As mentioned, everthing is expensive.  However, Slovenia is beautiful, and worth the cost.

You don't have pay for the motorway if you don't want to use them, just make sure you turn off at the first exit. The girl in the toll booth was the only person we met in Slovenia that didn't speak English so it took a few minutes to get it across we didn't want to use the motorways.

On the way back into Austria they had police at the toll booth checking for a Vignette, when they questioned us we explained we came on at the last junction to get into Austria & they waved us on.

Going back into Austria make sure you get a Vignette at the first services, on our way back last year at the 2nd aire police had closed the autobahn and diverted every one through the aire to check Vignettes.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d vote for Bled, if you go don’t miss the Vintgar Gorge about 4miles away. At the top there is an odd but excellent restaurant. If you walk watch out for ticks I picked one up and they are a bit dodgy. The local small hospital was excellent though.

Ptug ( pronounced wit a spit)is worth a visit. The site is not that good but there is a spa swimming bath next door, and a decent restaurant, the local castle is worth a visit.

Nearby is Jerusalem and a wine trail, but the maps are rubbish and it you can find the trail you will do better than us.

we had trouble with the motorway charges and a very difficult attendant but thats another story.

Regards Mike W.

Guest JudgeMental

Great pictures Lenny! Slovenia looks very scenic......

Boy your van is very low to the ground! very nice looking though :-D

Hi Judge,

LOW that's an understatement, the Fiat Camper Chassis is unbelievably low, boy does it handle well just need some ‘go faster stripes’.

On the Slovenia trip last summer we nearly ripped off the waste drain bracket & ripped the front out of the gas bottle locker, came home with the gas locker held together with cam loc straps & gaffer tape.

I’ve since modified both.

The waste bracket it’s now 3” higher & the waste pipe swings down for empting.

The bottom of the gas locker almost completely fell out when I removed the straps. I cut of the bottom removed 2” in height from the sides re-fibre glassed the bottom back on re- painted it, looks perfect.

Lowest part now is the spare wheel but as it’s towards the centre of the chassis not so much a problem.

716291601_GasLockerRepair-1.jpg.2b367033483ec18de1ccd77487f69ad4.jpg

1771075372_GasLockerRepair-3.jpg.0872377b526e05dce4669cf749cb654c.jpg

1289494126_GasLockerRepair-4.jpg.6af0e85b5a277211d454aba8b8fb5e69.jpg

2145145182_GasLockerRepair-7.jpg.4dcfefe8cfdb47f42848ff403af594bc.jpg

1792396715_GasLockerRepair-8.jpg.35cc8dde97ed9f181ab2f06c297a0472.jpg

1077578354_GasLockerRepair-9.jpg.cc452bae865356fbca43aa878ea02e7c.jpg

Archived