towing weight?

ROON

Brian or Dave or anybody, please can you help me.

Eldiss Autocirrus 200 :- How do I know if it is suitable for towing a Peugot 107 five door which has a gross vehicle weight of 1190 and kerb weight of 790kg and in which will also be stored two folding bikes weighing 13.1kg EACH as well as the brake buddy...... I am getting more and more confused the more I look into this. I keep reading all the threads on towing but how the heck do you know how much all your paraphanalia and food weighs and do you have to weigh each adult ...... just how precise do you have to be in order NOT to damage the engine of the motorhome.

Hate to say it, but Patricia you are so right when you say how frustrating it is when you need a man for certain things. Please help.

Joy :'(

Hi ROON, Check your "train weight" usually on a weight plate some where, or your handbook, giving front & rear axle weights and train weight. If the axle weights plus the total trailer weights exceed the "train weight" then it will not tow it. I expect some one will add a bit more knowledge here any miniute now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joy

The legal weight factors involved in towing are detailed on:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/requirementsfortrailers

It needs saying that a vehicle's maximum permitted axle-weights are not directly involved. Although those limits obviously must not be exceeded, it's the weight of the motorhome and the weight of the trailer (in your case a car) that matter primarily.

I would guess (and it is a GUESS) that you should be OK legally to tow a car weighing under 900kg (including what's in it) with your Elddis, but you really must talk to TOWtal about this before committing to buying the towing equipment and having the car modified to take an A-frame.

What I can't advise you usefully about is whether or not towing a car behind your motorhome will over-stress the vehicle mechanically. It was something I wondered about when you first mentioned car-towing, as your motorhome has a relatively small-capacity motor with a clutch designed to match the tasks a mechanical engineer might reasonably expect the vehicle to carry out. The engine/transmission is already dragging around 3-tonne or so of motorhome and you are now planning to increase that load by a third.

Every time you start from rest, instead of moving 3-tonne you will be moving nearly 4-tonne. This inevitably will be harder on the clutch than previously and you'll need to be particularly careful when starting on hills having anything above a mild slope. Personally, I wouldn't choose your motorhome to tow a car, but I've said that before about my own Hobby and later read that someone was happily A-frame towing a car with a motorhome with the same specification as mine.

Sorry to be unenthusiastic, but, if you do choose to go down the A-frame route, you are going to need to treat your Elddis with TLC.

Thanks everybody. Really grateful.

Derek. I'm really worried now ..... if I was your partner would you say DON'T GET AN A FRAME? I put it that way because I know I would be loathe to give advice to someone and take the sunshine out of their plans unless it was someone I was close to and then I would tell them what I really think. :'( I don't want to damage my van. I don't have the money coming in to spend out should anything major go wrong.... Aaaaagh I don't know what to do now. (?) :-| :'( I really do appreciate your sharing your knowledge. Joy

Joy

What I'd certainly ask is "Do you really want to spend a good deal of money just so that you can tow a car behind your motorhome?", particularly if you are going to do this regularly on your own with no one to assist you should you need to reverse. (I'd ask this irrespective of whether or not you planned to use an A-frame or a trailer.) I can appreciate you've got the motorhome and a handy car standing idle at present, but I still think you need to consider carefully whether the anticipated gain of linking the two together will be worth the financial 'pain' involved.

I'd also inquire about how much towing experience you've got and/or whether you have any concerns about towing generally.

If you answered Yes to Question 1 and said that you aren't worried about the actual towing, then I'd say "OK - it's your decision, but be especially kind to your motorhome when it's got your car behind."

Not sure I can do better than that.

(It would be helpful if forum members who do tow cars behind their motorhomes (via A-frames or on trailers) could comment, particularly if they employ relatively low-powered motorhomes like Joy's to do towing.)

Thanks Derek, and if anyone can do as he suggests in his last paragraph I would be ever so grateful.

Re your uestions Derek, I used to tow a trailer tent behind my car when I was younger so I am not TOTALLY new to towing and its problems albeit on a smaller scale. I'm not frightened to give anything a go. Hope to take my motor bike test soon so even though a pensioner want to keep trying new things.

Re the need I feel to have a car with me, well, it just depends. Up until now I have been ok.... but the last few times I have been away I suddenly felt extremely lonely and cut off and really wanted my car to go into the local villages just to sit and people watch in a cafe or find new walks to go on. It seemed really important. When I'm on the site, lots of people talk to me and I have no problem with conversation (typical woman!) but everybody is in couples and it does make me want to 'escape' as I say from the sites. I guess I am writing this and thinking yes I would love to have my A frame and car with me..... thank you for helping me come to a decision. I would still, however, appreciate any advice from other small motorhomers who tow.

Yesterday I went with my exhusband to pick up his new trike and I got quite excited about it. It could I suppose be an option for me to buy a small one of those, but in rain and wind it wouldn't really solve anything.

Thank you again Derek, for your time and trouble. I really do appreciate the help of someone who obviously is very knowledgeable .... and who must at times shake his head at my stupidity on engines, batteries, etc. Thank you. Joy

Joy if you are taking your bike test why not consider a scooter. We have one fixed to a rack on the back and take it everywhere with us, except winter months. Would not be without it now as it gives us an easy and convenient means of local transport. Personally if I wanted to tow would buy a caravan. Like you have a small van but all weights are fine. I know it does not help in wind and rain but everything is some sort of compromise

Hi Rupert, Funnily enough, I was actually looking at a scooter too yesterday and thinking how much they have come on since my 'youth'. They are quite good arn't they. As you say, still the weather problem, but so very economical. The other good thing about them is that as long as no passenger on the back, they can be driven on a provisional licence.

Thanks for your input. As you have probably gathered from my posts, my head is all over the place at the moment. Joy :-| :-S

ROON - 2009-04-13 12:45 PM

Hi Rupert, Funnily enough, I was actually looking at a scooter too yesterday and thinking how much they have come on since my 'youth'. They are quite good arn't they. As you say, still the weather problem, but so very economical. The other good thing about them is that as long as no passenger on the back, they can be driven on a provisional licence.

Thanks for your input. As you have probably gathered from my posts, my head is all over the place at the moment. Joy :-| :-S

Took us a long time to sort it all out but if you need detailed info please contact me.

Joy

If you hunt out the data plate for your van, the one with the chassis number on it, you will find (generally) the GVW for the van, followed by the max front axle load, the max rear axle load, and the gross train weight (GTW).  What you can tow, at any time, is the difference between the actual laden weight (ALW) of your van and its GTW. 

You can only reliably get the ALW by taking the fully laden van (including you, the dog spot, bottle of pop etc) to a weighbridge, and getting it weighed. 

Failing this, use its GVW as on the plate - but do be sure you aren't overloaded - and just deduct that from the GTW.  The limit that will apply for the car will be its GVW which will, being over 1,000Kg, I suspect exceed your GTW. 

However, if your fully laden van is below its GVW, you can transfer the difference to the trailer, but you do need to be careful that you weigh the van at its worst laden condition (with everything full that is ever likely to be full, and with everything on board that is ever likely to be on board), just to be absolutely sure you will never exceed the weight you have calculated upon.

You if using a weighbridge to find your ALW, don't forget to factor in the weight of a towbar if not already fitted, and also the weight of the A frame, both of which which will reduce the GTW.

Hope this makes sense!

Hi Joy,

I tow my motorbike on a trailer behind the motorhome. If you do go down the scooter / trailer route, do make sure that you try putting the scooter on the trailer before you buy it..(trailer that is).

There are different designs of trailers, and some demand a decree of strength to run the scooter up the ramp. Once the scooter is on the trailer, it has to be secured ...singlehanded !  I had to fit a platform to my trailer, so that I could put the motorbike stand down to hold the bike upright.... which left my hands free to secure the bike with the straps.

There are trailers on the market which 'collapse'. You push the scooter onto the 'flat' trailer and then raise it for the journey.

If you need any advice, be a good girl and get in touch.  

Joy don't worry about the weather if thinking of using a scooter. Modern m/cycle clothing is very good at keeping you dry and I have found mysel to be dryer going on the bike than going by public transport.

Good luck whatever you do.

docted

Hi Bob, Rupert, Doc et all, Thank you again. I shall certainly get in touch if that is ok once I get my head round it all.

It's looking at the moment as though I shall actually be ok to tow my daughter's small Daihatsu Move on an A frame which would give me all I need without worrying where I can leave the tow frame when not in use. Will be in touch shortly. Thanks again for your patience. Joy

My wife who is now 76 ( younger than I ) fancies towing one of those motor trikes. In our courting days 57 years ago we always had a big twin, when the kids came along we put a sidecar on it. As motor cycling clothes are so good now though we might give it a go. Might make us feel young again, who knows ???????????

Hi Ranger look forward to seeing you both areound then!!! I will try and put a picture of me on the one we picked up. I thought it was brilliant and am keen to hopefully own one one day. .... albeit a smaller engined one. The one on the icture when it arrives ... robably a week hence!!!! has won two awards. Apologies for typing, but computer really playing me up and missing letters out.... New keyboard needed??

Joy

Archived