autocruise 2.8 peugeot 55 reg engine stall while driving

harl

hi to all on this forum iam in need of a bit of help i have just brought a secondhand autocruise sarasota 2.8 hdi and have just travelled to the coast the way down there went fine but on the way back i was doing 60mph and the engine just stall for a second and then came back to life it also happend again around a hour later i have no idea what could be wrong so any help would be really appreciated.

thanks

harl

Harl, it could be a lot of things, from a loose electrical connection to a fuel supply problem.

You will have to eliminate things methodically, it could be a long job, intermittent faults are the hard ones to find.

If it was mine I would start by having the electronics checked with a suitable diagnostic computer, it might even have recorded the fault and could make the job of finding it easier.

You could try asking a mechanic at your local van service centre if there are any common faults that would cause this, I always find it best to do this "in person" as you will be fobbed off easily on the phone.

Geoff

thankyou i have a friend who might be able to check if it has recorded anything errors and i will also check the wiring to see if it to tight hope this is the case will keep you posted.

thanks again

harl

Hi Harl,

You could have the engine on tickover and wiggle the leads one by one & see if that causes the engine to cut out. It does sound like a 'dicky' connection. Wear a pair of rubber gloves so you don't get a shock !

Harl,

The injector cable issue would cause a mis-fire that you would be able to feel and would significantly reduce the power output but would not cause the engine to stall. Does the engine actually stop, or do the revs drop by a lot, then recover?

If you end up 'wiggling' the injector cables a bit, it's ok because they carry only a 5v signal.

Does the engine management light come on when there is a problem?

Check that every electrical device is working correctly. Lights, wipers etc and that the speedo is working too.

There are a number of odd little problems that we have encountered on these engines and we need to narrow it down a bit.

Of the five or so issues I am thinking of, only one ever causes the engine management light to illuminate, and none of them bring up fault codes that can be read by diagnostic units!

Nick

hi nick,

the engine stalled while i was doing 60mph on a bypass even the clock on the dash went off and reset to 0 all the lights came on the dash also just like when you start the engine but within a second or 2 the power and engine came back to life.

i will check the leads later today so anymore ideas would be great.

oh also when this happends the glow light starts flashing again for around a min.

thanks for all your replies

harl

From the information that you have supplied, the first thing to check is the earth terminal which is in front of, and just below the battery. Remove the nut and clean everything before fitting it again and make sure it is very tight. I am sure you have an earth problem and it is causing a temporary loss of electrical power and this will not only shut off your fuel lift pump (in the fuel tank) but also it will close the stop/start solenoid in the high pressure pump. There are many places that you can have a poor earth, but this one nearest to the battery is the one that causes the clock to reset. You may even have to re-enter your radio code.

There is one other possible cause that we encounter often, but this almost always results in fuse 13 (under the bonnet) blowing and the speedometer not working.

Check the earth first.

Nick

Hello Harl,

Do you have an alarm system fitted to your Autocruise and if so do you occasionally find that there are electrical glitches when you first go to start the vehicle after setting off the alarm. (eg. Dashboard instruments going haywire and clock being re-set to zero).

If so could you please PM me which make of alarm is fitted ( Do not post alarm make on forum for your security).

The reason I ask is that I have had a very similar problem to that which you specify including temporary engine stalling on a 2005 Ducato 2.3 JTD. The problem was eventually found to be an incorrect alarm connection.

Regards,

Mike

Archived