Burstner window glazing fault

Brian Peters

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask if any of you owning a Burstner have had the window recall repair done ?(ie: the double glazed units screwed together, because of possible adhesive failure). My nearest Burstner dealership is RDH at Nottingham and i have asked them if they could supply me with the fixtures so that i can do it myself as my motorhome is still in storage, i have not had a response yet. I just wanted to know if the windows still look ok with the screws atatched as i have been offered replacement windows at a big discount (but still very expensive).

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

Hi Alan,

I received a letter from Burstner last October telling me that it was possible that the bond between the inner and outer lites on my windows could have loosened due to high UV exsposure, this fault could be on ALL models of Motorhome or Caravan manufactured between 1998 and 2005, my Motorhome is a Burstner t-star 710 2005 model.

The best way to find out if you may be affected is to log onto www.polyplastic-pass.nl just enter your chassis number .

I would check your windows for any sign of the two layers parting, mine seem ok but i want the repair done for peace of mind.

I hope this helps Alan

Brian.

I have just today returned from Chelston at Wellington, having had the repairs carried out to the windows on my Burstner caravan.

The studs in each corner are about the size of a 20 pence and look like buttons. Not too unsightly.

However the large front window has come apart and I have been quoted aprox £450!!!!!!!!!

The web site www.polyplastic-pass.nl has details as to whether your vehicle/caravan requires the repair. They are also offering a discount of 65% to include fitting.

I suggest a look before deciding what to do.

I can forward a photo of the repair if anyone cares to email me.

• 1 month later...
Hi, Have you had the problem of windows sorted ? I too got a letter from Burstner advising that a modification was needed,(four screws in each corner of windows) which I had done at Chelston. After the repair, the kitchen window separated allowing water to the inside of the glazing , resembling a fish tank. Contacted Polyplastic on their website who assured me that if I chose to replace windows, there would be a discount of 65%, but they couldn't supply direct. Told me to contact Burstner Dealer. I contacted Southdowns who although have given me part numbers and prices of windows for my 'van haven't come up with how I get 65% off. The other windows are depreciating rapidly. I suggest replacing the windows whilst the offer is there, as a couple of years on, they might say it's due to normal wear and tear. Anyone else had replacement done?

Hi

After Brians initial post i contacted Burstner through their web section quoting the chasis no and they got back to me saying my elegance was not affected, have tried again and same response. Looks like it was just a batch that is giving problems, albeit expensive ones

Guest peter
I think they've got a bloody cheek expecting you to pay for something that was clearly not fit for purpose when fitted.

If I understand this rightly, the windows have been 'fixed' to sort out a problem and now they have a major problem? In my view the fix hasn't worked and therefore it is up to them to sort it out with replacement windows free of charge ... you should NOT be having to pay for their "unfix"! No matter what the problem was previously, they have NO RIGHT to make it worse - contact Citizens Advice Bureau and Trading Standards before you part with your cash if they won't play ball.

Me again. I agree that they are dragging their heels, perhaps hoping that we'll go away. As I see it, they had a scare as it would appear a window separated. With the risk of this happening on a motorway and the possibility of causing an accident (risk assessment) they hastily came up with the idea of the screws through the corners to stop this happening. However, this has not stopped the windows from coming "unsealed" as the bond deteorates due to ultra violet light as it stated in the letter from Burstner. The window manufacturers, Polyplastic, are positive about replacement, but it would appear that the Burtsner dealers are a bit less enthused. Perhaps there's not enough money in it ?? *-)

• 1 month later...

As you know Polyplastic and Burstner put out a window recall earlier this year.

The proposed repair unfortunately does not work as the mechanical seal which the double glazing is reliant on is compromised.

In addition the screen print which is the cause of the fault is breaking up and leaving deposits in the double glazing void.

Worst case scenario will be eventual water building up in the cavity.

This will make any resale impossible.

I have requested that Burstner replace windows free of charge and will pursue a legal case if they fail to replace.

Contact at Burstner is Frederic Schmaltz email schmaltz@buerstner.com

Direct tel no 0049785185154

He is a hard man to track down but if you email enough he will reply

Archived