Sky 401 Motorhome

FQEVO9

Hi Derrick

From what I can tell these are part of the Rimor/Kentucky group - a budget starter version. Similar models are referred to as Blucamp. I think this is the model you're talking about:

http://www.cheap-motor-homes.co.uk/401.html

I seem to recall looking at one or these cheaper range motorhomes (Rimor version I think) at a show (possibly Lincoln?) and was concerned about the fit and finish of some of these cheaper models - large gaps in the cabinet work etc - but it may just have been the display model at the time.

As the van you are looking at is a 7 berth your first question should be - what is the payload for this model - you need to know this for definite before you go any further as again some larger models can leave you with very little for all your bits and pieces, not to mention your family.

Have you actually seen one 'in the flesh'? If so, have you driven it and had a good scramble over it, checked the spec/equipment level? Sometimes it is a better option to get a higher level model with loads of items included than start from a budget one and then pay to have loads of stuff added. Things like the seating foam etc can be inferior.

We have a Rimor Sailer 645TC, a 'top' model with loads of manufacturer's upgrades included when we bought it, it has worn very well - we've had it over 2 years now and the furnishings and furniture are all as good as when we bought it, nothing has dropped off or deteriorated at all. I did get some 'stick' for 'downgrading' from a Rapido when we bought it but to be perfectly honest the furniture is in better nick than the Rapido was at 2 years due to the cupboard door frames 'spreading' and some of the trim bubbling. Nothing like this has happened at all on the Rimor.

From memory the only problems we have had are that the rear garage doors were able to be opened with a big tug when locked (we've fitted Fiamma Door Safe swivelling locks) and the caravan door itself was draughty (soon cured with some draught proofing strips). In fact, the only real 'faults' we have had are with the equipment made by other manufacturers.

Do your research very carefully and throroughly. Do not be seduced by the low prices. There are always bargains around but usually you get what you pay for.

A motorhome is a long term investment. Low budget models tend to depreciate quicker than higher spec quality models so the overall cost of a budget model may be higher. If you keep it for many years, and the build is such that it lasts this long, then depreciation may be less of an issue.

Consider who is going to service and repair it. Parts supply for many vans, including those built in the UK, can be pretty awful. It's usually worse for continental makes. And all new motorhomes seem to have faults on delivery unless you are very lucky.

Make sure you do view before you buy. I found a few firms on the internet with Sky models but not of the sites have the specification information that more established firms produce. The sites I saw tended to be to encourage you to buy, not to ensure the motorhome had the right specification for you needs. Try and get hold of a brochure and compare with other models from the UK, including second hand vans.

The Ford is an excellent base if the specification is right.

We motorhomers can be a conservative lot so new models and ways of selling them can make us worry about the risks of something new.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Archived