Sweden, Norway etc

jeffchef

Hi gang.

Here we go again- off to Prague in June to watch Womens World Cup Lacrosse, then we thought we would go `North` up to Demark then up further. I have not been there for 10yrs or so and did it B&B and hotels then. Questions I have are-

1- wild camping- allowed or not

2- places to refill, water, gas [refillable gaslow] etc

3-public chemical toilet dumps

Rough guide to trip -up the Baltic- north of Stockholm, turn left to Trondheim then follow the atlantic south.

Long trip, but no hurry.

Thoughts please.

Again, many thanks.

Jeff

Guest Tracker

Lots of info on the Sweden and Norway tourist info web sites and links.

This is often discussed on here and a search for 'Sweden' or 'Norway' should also bring forth much info.

We went there last year and apart from one night on a site to use the laundrette - as there do not seem to be any independent laundrettes in Scandinavia - we camped off site for seven weeks with no problems.

Indeed we met many charming and helpful Norwegian and Swedish people, as well as numerous like minded Dutch, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Irish Motorhomers (but only one Englishman - and he was a miserable s*d!) that we would probably never have met camping on sites.

There are some Aires and Vicarious books are planning a Scandinavian Aires book but by and large tips from fellow nomads, lateral thinking and ingenuity overcame the water and loo issues.

They are wonderful safe countries with, by and large, happy and friendly people and well worth the trip.

If you can get to the Nordkapp it is worth the trip but it is a bloomin' long way and the road gets a bit repetitive, but still interesting, mainly, North of the Arctic Circle.

We WILL be going back soon!

Last year we drove to the Nordkapp which is well worth a visit as the landscape you drive through is amazing. We spent many a night wild camping. Many of the laybys have toilet blocks which many also had a chemical toilet disposal point. We had no problem at all and found the Swedish, Finish and Norweigans very helpful and spoke very good English - put us to shame! Norway is very expensive so make sure you fill up with diesel before crossing into Norway.

Guest JudgeMental
Have been up to Sweden as far as Lapland twice in the last 7 years.......had a great time and highly recommended. Campsites are plentiful and cheap. Try a forum “search” it should throw up plenty of info......

Hi Jeff

As judge says it would be a good idea to do a search as there's loads of info on here from people who have been lucky enough to go to Sweden and Norway.

As you plan to cross from the Baltic coast across to Trondheim you may well find yourself on route E14. I think this starts at Sundsvall on the Baltic, and goes all the way across to Trondheim.

About half way between Ostersund in Sweden and Trondheim ( on the E14) are the Tannforsen Falls which I think are well worth a visit.

They are down a turn off near the town of Duved.

We camped just a bit further on at the village of Ann.

When we went, which was mid June, the falls were at full force.

There's a car park near the top, and as we approached the falls the ground was trembling, and there was a tremendous roar.

There's a viewing platform at the top ( wear something waterproof) and a footpath down to the bottom.

I will try to put a couple of pics on.

My tip for the Fjord district of Norway is to carry some cash for the many ferries. As you queue, someone wanders around selling tickets so you can't use cards ( well we couldn't ).

Our van at 6 metres only cost a few pounds on the ferries but I think larger vans pay much more.

Have a good trip.

TannFalls2.jpg.8225ce149d52bee70a2266845357cd3d.jpg

Tannfalls3a.jpg.943bc248a0ff275ae8f47d74c1e3da93.jpg

6 metres is the magic length for tolls in Norway. Less than 6 metres = reasonable cost, over 6 metres = loadsa dosh.

We have found that ferry costs are quite reasonable and have compared well with the cost of driving round (where it is possible to drive round) and the scenary from the ferries has been superb.

Thank you all.

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the help and `info` posted.

It is really increditable the depth of knowlege that is available, and given willingly, from the contributers on this site.

Many thanks again.

Jeff

hi it seems you have received an abundance of interesting replies which i will also take on board.we went to denmark and sweden last june and had an amazing time (the weather could have had something to do with it, it was fantastic).it was our very first trip abroad in our new motorhome so we were very new to the whole thing.but we need'nt have worried everything went smoothly.i notice no one had commented on denmark.we loved it there,and stayed on some beautiful campsites.apparently it is illegal to "wild" camp anywhere in denmark.the sites were very clean and relatively cheap. sweden was like everyone else has said, easy to "wild" camp, although our friends who are swedish, pointed out that you are legally only allowed to stay for 24 hours at the same spot.

have you got an LPG refillable tank ? if you have then it is extremely difficult to get in denmark and sweden.there are only 2 places in denmark and we only found 1 (through our friends) in sweden. this was in gothenborg. have a great time. wish we were going again this year.

Guest JudgeMental

Near the falls that Malc d recommends is the Orsa bear park, well worth a visit especially at feeding time!

http://www.travbuddy.com/Orsa-Bear-Park-v10816

Further north again is the “Wilderness way” a picturesque route that takes you into Norway and back. Have looked for a link without luck but, it is detailed in “the rough guide to Sweden”

Sami Indian villages also woth a visit

Lunch is best time to eat your main meal, as most restaurants do specials and evening meals are much more expensive..........

Hi

Re lpg

Yeep it is the gaslow system we have, but have taken your advice and I have looked at other sites [4x4 sites in particular] and have found, again from contributers going back 2/3 years info on stations that do autogas etc.

This is the really nice thing about this community, like real life, we are all here to help- why cant the media portray the good stuff that goes on- not all doom and gloom- rant over.

Cheers

Jeff

They have a mixture of different electrical distribution systems in Norway. You may find that on some sites your reverse polarity mains indicator will come on. You may also find that if you use a polarity swapping lead it will remain on. Providing you have a good earth connection and your van has an RCD (all should do) then you have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy

C.

we found a garage in denmark, between maribo and copenhagen that had lpg, but unfortunately they didn't have the right adaptor to fit our motorhome.can you imagine how we felt,all that gas and we couldn't fill our tank.we had to eke it out until we managed to get it in gothenborg.i've got the details of the garage address somewhere,i'll see if i can find it for you.

Archived