12v skybox?

Den

At present we are using a digibox, but in the past we've always used a 12v Skybox. I'm told only 240v are available, but would rather use the 12v version. Should any one know any different I would be pleased to hear from you.

Guest Tracker

Have you consider an inverter?

As a digibox is low power a small low cost inverter should function OK - but check your digibox first for it's wattage!

Officialy new there is no 12v skybox, but there are three alternatives.

1 Pace Javelin- only availible secondhand, try ebay

2 Converted skybox, ocasionaly availible (I use a pace430 12v) once again try ebay.

3 Linux programable box, requires correct cam to work and regulary updating, dubious legality.

Using an inverter to power a receiver will always use more power than one connected to your motorhomes 12v system.

As I've said in previous similar postings, I myself use an Eagle 12v multi satellite receiver. This has the advantage that it can be used with a Sky card and/or be used to receive the new "freesat", in addition to every other satellite that your dish can receive.

There are still some Pace 12v minibox receivers available, but they aren't cheap at nearly £150 each.

Freewheeler

Thank You for the postings. I really want to avoid using an inverter ( 1000w fitted, but would be a waste of power) I have been advised a 150w is ample. Could kick myself for letting ours go last November. Ebay sounds a good option to look for the 12v one. The mains ones also seem a bit on the large side, the digi receiver fits well in the cuboard and our spare skybox would not.

Hi Dave

We have a freesat at present but much prefer sky (so will be selling the box very cheaply. Its from roadpro, soon i hope) So while at the Peterborough show I shall have look around, never know a smaller company may have one.

The main problem with using just a "freesat" receiver is that the footprint isn't large enough to receive signals in much of mainland Europe.

There is nothing wrong with the in 12v Pace miniboxes, which are still available brand new,apart from the price.

Freewheeler

I Tracker

The reason for wanting a 12v sky is being use to the way it works and selecting channels. The present digital rec we are using is the DX65 ZEHNDER. Loads of channels most of them no good.

Thanks Randonneur for the mention of the Dreambox I'll take a look.

If you are interested in the Dreambox, then also take a look at an Eagle, as I mentioned in my earlier reply. This will do everything that a Dreambox can do, and is fully supported, but can be purchased much cheaper in the Uk. I had mine from, http://www.lavatronics.com

They sell the Dreambox too, but I have been quite satisfied with my Eagle and have used it extensively on the continent as well as in the Uk.

Freewheeler

Den - 2009-04-17 7:25 PM

Hi Dave

We have a freesat at present but much prefer sky (so will be selling the box very cheaply. Its from roadpro, soon i hope) So while at the Peterborough show I shall have look around, never know a smaller company may have one.

Hi Den

We recently had to replace our 12v Pace Javelin (don't ask!!) and I managed to get one on Ebay for £46.

David

Hi Dave

Our previous unit was also a pace (checked with the new owner) worked well no problems and would like the same again.

By the way what did happen to yours !!!!!

So I'll look on Ebay (first time, so wish me look)

And thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Dennis

• 7 years later...

A few years ago now but we took our Pace skybox to Europe with our subscription card after a few weeks we got a message on screen saying " card out of area " and could not get anymore signal. Be interesting to hear if anyone else has had this problem

We cancelled our ski subscription and haven't missed it really and now use a maxview 12v receiver which is much easier to tune to the satellite

Managed to get a Sky mini box 12v from Ebay £80, used it a couple of times now and put our sky card from our 2nd old box into it and it worked perfectly, got all channels we subscribe to and when we got back just put the card back into the old box and everything is ok. Just after we got our mini box there were 3 on ebay. You can get these boxes from places like Pulsat at York but they are a lot more expensive but come with a guarantee. If we didn't have a Sky subscription then would just buy a normal 12v satellite box.

Archived