New to motorhomes

laserman

Hi Everyone

My wife and I decided to buy a motorhome around christmas time, since then, sometimes I feel like ive jumped into the ocean without learning to swim!!.

The big must is bunk beds, we have 6 year old twins. We have been looking at the chasson flash 3 and also we have come across a Adriatik 670 DK it was first registered in 2001 and is on offer for £23,000.00 it looks very clean and tidy. I'm not sure if we are temped because our brains are melted looking, or if we feel it is a good deal. any tips???

Hi Laserman, try and find one on a Ford Transit diesel rear wheel drive, MMM base vehicle of the year 2008 & 2009. The engine is in the proper way around so easier to work on so cheaper to service and work on, better traction than front wheel drive once you get on wet grass, if you look at the "white an man" most are Transits, obviously the better commercial vans. Uncle Derek and many others have a vast knowledge of motorhomes and will probably be along very soon and guide you in the right direction. Welcome to the Forum, you don't have to be on the mad side but it does help.

Guest JudgeMental

Hi and welcome!

Seems a bit expensive to me for a 2001. If you can streach the budget a bit you should be able to get a 2007 facelift van.......

LHD via www.mobile.de is the best bet

Just had a look and a new 2009 model Flash 3 was approx £26500. lots of cheaper used models as well.......

What ever you go for aviod Fiat X250 and make sure you have a good payload especially with 2 children.Look for 500kg or more I have 400 and with 2 dogs and 2 adults we are strugleing to keep to 3500kg and then only if we run with very little fresh water

Hi and welcome. Impossible to do other than give general advice here as everyones needs are differant. You can ignore Rangers as you seem to be looking at 2001 to 2004 region for your price and size. The popular base vehicle will be Fiat/Ford/Renault with a few Mercedes and all are generally fine. Just look at this part as you would a car e.g. mileage, service history, general condition, tyres are expensive so check them especially for the age stamps, m/h are usually low mileage compared to a car. The habitation part should also have a service history of checks, especially for damp, make sure all appliances work. Look around the internet for prices to compare with the vans you like, also check on Ebay where their are good prices to be had but best take someone with you if buying private. Your best bet for a first buy is a good dealer who may offer a warranty. Colin makes a good point about payload but again Fiat X250 is early 2007 on so will not come into things if you stick to budget, good luck.

hi

have a look at a ci carioca 656 it has 2 bunk beds at rear & a good overcab double for ma & pa or alternativly dinette make up into a double 2. we have had ours for over 4 yrs now & have had no probs whatsoever. i think i would avoid the later fiat x 250 i think these are 2006 onwards as they seem to have a problem with reverse gear. for travelling i would recomend a front dinette layout as you can put table up & young ones can watch a DVD or draw or whatever they want.

hope you find what suits you & enjoy (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Here is a link to German site which has in depth reviews of European vans:

http://www.reisemobil-international.de/test/

Some are free so you can judge for yourself the quality of the information. But they do weigh vans and don’t take the manufacturers info as accurate. They even publish weight and capacity on each wheel and axle!

You have to pay for recent reviews, last time I paid approx £3.50 a small price IMO for some proper info, they now appear to be cheaper at 50 cents and you pay via paypal...........It is in German so you have to use an "automatic translator" via goggle

Thanks Judgemental

I cant see the chausson flash03 on it

It seems to be the way we are heading

I can extend my budget a bit more ,I might be able to buy an 07 model

I am been swung by the fact that they were awarded the which magazine motorhome award.

Archived