"Going over to the otherside"

fred22

Well we have finally done it, we have gone back to a caravan. Back to where we were in 1970, but they have changed a bit since then

Nothing at all to do with the motorhome more a case of the practicality of things.

We now have the Grandchildren living with us and we found that having to use the motorhome as a car when we were away was just not working.There were many places we could not get into.

When we were on our own and time didn't matter we parked on the edges of towns and caught the bus , or even walked in.

The children also need their own space and a large awning that we can leave erected serves this purpose.

We will miss the motorhome and I still get pangs when they pass me on the motorway, I really enjoyed driving it. The instant set up and going to the toilet in traffic jams will be really missed too.

I enjoy this forum and I will still keep it on my favourites as so much of the information is applicable to caravans as well as motorhomes.

Sorry this should be in "chatterbox"

Clive - 2009-04-17 11:39 AM

Blow the car out and get a nice little Murvi , NV or Timberland to tow the caravan with. Then you have a space for them and a seperate space for you.

C.

Tried that last year Clive but it just prolonged the agony - back to a motorhome now and enjoying every minute again.

Have to sympathise with fred22 though - he has good and valid reasons for 'going back to the other side' - enjoy the camping fred22 and family.

David

Guest Tracker
There is no 'other side' Fred - we are all in this together whatever our camping methods and there is no right or wrong - only different, so good luck and keep on joining in the forum.

We purchased our motorhome in August 2007 and since that time our lives have been through HELL! So now after a lengthy and distressing legal dispute with $Greenbills$ dealership and German manufacturers, our only salvation is to go back to caravanning. We had over 20 wonderful years with a range of caravans and dealer experiences - none were like our current experience.

Regrettably at our great cost, we have discovered that UK legislation has badly let us down. Trading Standards misinformed us, as well as the Credit Card Bank, which was reported to the Financial Ombudsman (we were awarded £100 compensation)! Members must be aware that Warranty legislation and Insurance have vast loopholes especially relating to vehicles costing over £30,000.

The current EU laws desperately need urgent review and to that end we have enlisted the assistance of our MP and MEP's. So we would strongly advise any similar experiences be reported to support an update in Legislation.

We invested a substantial sum of pension fund into what was planned to be the dream of "the open road to travel". Instead since Aug 2007 our motorhome has been used for just 2 weeks. Since my determined effort to go back to the German Manufacturers last Dec 2008 (and now due to their poor workmanship) the vehicle has again been off the road - locked in dispute with UK dealer and Germany. We have lost countless holidays, resorting to expensive and restricting hotel tours, in fact we should now be with friends exploring the Lake District.

When our motorhome manfacturers defect is eventually resolved, we will sell asap, taking a loss of approx £16K and look for a British made caravan. It is such a shame that none of the Motorhome magazines or Caravan Clubs will publish this appalling experience, giving preference to the sponsored "idyllic" Glossy Trade reviews.

As a television documentary maker for over 40 years, I have never come across such appalling customer care amongst the global companies that I have been fortunate to have visited. The advice I would give is beware of your dreams, for they can come back and haunt you. Let Buyer Beware and walk away from a deal to consider all other options. Read all the small print and if necessary take out additional Warranty Cover AND adequate Legal Protection Cover. For sadly some current Leisure Motoring dealerships and manufacturers have little regard for their customers! Believe me!

Now where did I store my Tow Ball.........

Archived