what security needed new to M.homes

duetto owner

Not sure what year the Duetto is but, before airbags became standard fit, there was a removeable steering wheel on the market which a) made it easier to swivel the drivers seat on site and b) made it virtually impossible for theives to drive away.

Can't remember who made or marketed it and not sure if it is still available now though.

David

david lloyd

thanks for the reply its a new one. will modern door locks be ok it double locks via a key fob.

its a hi top ford tranny van with steel doors as opposed to the weaker coach builds.

a bit worried about spare wheel going walkie's too as we have many pikey areas nearby.

I think the new door locks and immobilisers are much better now.

I once had a £500 alarm fitted to a motorhome but have to say that I am not entirely sure about how necessary they now. I do think they can be effective at deterring prospective thieves but when I considered why, it came to me that a thief would avoid breaking into a vehicle with an alarm because they run the risk of being detected when it goes off. If they are not concerned about being detected then the alarm will not stop them (because they think that no one will respond to the alarm being activated) anyway. The only reason an alarm works in this case is because it is advertised as being fitted to the vehicle by a flashing LED. It occurred to me that it was actually the LED that put the thief off and not the alarm itself so I have even considered having LED's fitted in strategic positions next time to ward off an attack.

David

duetto owner - 2009-04-19 4:24 PM

getting our first M.H. an autosleeper duetto which has a thatcham2 immobilser, the gates to our drive will be locked and have a security light.

do we need any other security.

Welcome to the forum.

Other kinds of security include a steel lockable post which you can set in concrete in your drive.

There's also steering wheel clamps of course, and there's also a gadget called a 'clutch-claw' which locks over the clutch and brake pedals.

How far you go with security is of course up to the individual but I think that the aim is to deter criminals, and some visible means of security will help to do that.

Guest Tracker

An alarm is worthwhile as when it goes off it can draw some attention - even if only wary glances from passers by - which is not what criminals want.

It also gives some peace of mind when set as a perimeter alarm at night.

Anything else depends on where you live, the crime rate, and your own perception of the risk and if extra measures give you peace of mind it will be worth the cost.

malc d - 2009-04-19 8:18 PM

a steel lockable post which you can set in concrete in your drive.

If your drive is suitable, this is the best form of security to stop the van going from your drive.

Fitted several of them around here to stop the DB9's from getting stolen *-) The Rhino make is good. (telescopic, not the hinged type, about £180 odd)

Fit some good quality dead locks to the doors, remove the key barrels and fit with blank inserts, remove any pull up knobs from inside the doors.

A good locksmith can advise on these measures.

Many vehicles are stolen when away from home, you need to make it as hard as you can.

WARNING SICK JOKE FOLLOWS

Finally, press 50g of Semtex into a length of 2" steel pipe and push about 20 x 5mm ball bearings into the Semtex. Push a detonator into the Semtex and seal the top with gaffer tape. Wire this to the ignition switch via two (one extra for safety) isolator switches. Wedge this under the driver's seat facing up. Do not forget to turn it off when you get in.

END OF SICK JOKE

Geoff

We have a Duetto such as you describe and have never felt the need for additional alarm / imobilisers.

What we have done is to fit dowels through the opening catches of the sliding windows, so as to make them harder to open from outside.

Guest JudgeMental
duetto owner - 2009-04-20 1:11 PM

has anyone had their spare wheel stolen?

how do i secure mine?

hearing lots of reports of spare wheels being stolen

use a chain and padlock or a bike lock...........

To remove the spare wheel, the rear doors need to be open so as to undo the locking bolt and operate the winch that raises and lowers the wheel, this action in itself makes it difficult to steal.

The problem with adding additional security is that you will have to get it off, possibly on a dark, wet night in order to change the wheel ;-)

Archived