WiFi on CC & C&CC sites

Meadows Engine

Whilst the installation of a WIFi facility on these sites is a big step forward does any one other than me feel the charges around £4 hour are rather high, For £15 a month at home I get broadband 24/7 and my friends tell me I'm paying too much there! (50p /24hours!)

I know that installation costs have to be recovered, but even so... its supposed to be a service for its members not a new way of extracting money from us

What do others think

I agree there I've just returned from 3 months in Spain on a site in Peniscola where the WI_FI cost was wait for it....25 Euros a month the connection was very good it anabled me to email home send photos to friends back to England and order on line etc an extremely good set up England has a long way to go to catch up come on CC and C&CC lower the price at least!!

Autocruise.jpg.3a80d0086703a6ce4816975713654530.jpg

I totally agree with you on that one and had been thinking on the

same lines since I saw the article in the C&CC mag.

It goes along with their MH stopover price, well over the top.

It smells a bit of the 'rip' the customer off if we can jobbie.

Brian

As has been stated several times before on the forum, the prices are the standard prices charged by the provider, not by the CC. If you wish to use Open Zone (although the provider for the CC WiFi is an Open Zone partner rather than Open Zone itself) where ever you are that is the cost of the vouchers if you do not have a contract.

Anyone who has a BT broadband (one of the reasons that BT BB may appear more costly than some competitors as you are buying a complete package not just BB, depends what you want 'horses for courses) gets free minutes to use on Open Zone per month, the amount dependant on which package you are on, and this can be used free from any charges at the CC WiFi spots. Been there and done it!

Bas

It might be expensive but the CC and C&CC are not ripping anyone off, merely charging the same as any other organisation providing Pay As You Go access to the same WiFi providers (the CC use Kezone/KeConnect and the C&CC use BT Openzone). Go to somewhere like the NEC and the PAYG charge is similar.

People who have subscriptions which cover usage of Kezone/BT Openzone can use the CC/C&CC hotspots without buying vouchers.

Yes, WiFi access is free at places like McDonalds, Wetherspoons etc but that provision is on the basis that it will attract more customers who will stay longer and purchase more, thus paying the costs that way. That cost recovery option is not available to organisations like the CC and C&CC.

WiFi is "free" at some hotels as well, in that it is included in the room charge - so people pay whether they use it or not. Should the CC/C&CC charge extra to everyone by increasing pitch charges?

We used WiFi at the CC sites at Abbey Wood and Edinburgh at the beginning of 2008 but then worked out that for our annual requirements it would be cheaper to obtain a mobile broadband dongle. That also gives the flexibility we require to access the Internet where a WiFi access point is not available.

Graham

Just returned from a 2 week break in Brittany. Took my laptop for the first time and all 3 sites we visited had free wireless access (OK nothing in life is free - but the site charges were no higher than others in the areas not offering this service).

All had either a single external omni-directional antenna, or a cluster of 3-4 directional (probably 120 degree) external antennae which gave access from most areas of the site.

Operating costs for the sites would be minimal.

These days for around £10 per month you can subscribe to (limited bandwidth - but OK for email and general browsing) Internet access through mobile services. The CC charges seem very high in comparison.

Clive

I haven't used WiFi at CC or C&CC sites, as we never use their major sites, we're dyed-in-the-wool CLers. 

But, if they provide WiFi Internet in the same manner as most hotels etc, then, as some of you say, the WiFi provided by the Club is free, but the service conection to the internet, being provided by an internet provider such as the aforementioned BT Openzone, is not.  The Club is not charging you.  The service provider is.

As I understand it, even the instalation costs are paid, or at least shared, by the internet service provider (I may be wrong, but I think this is the case?  Please correct me if I'm wrong).  I don't know if there is any kind of kick-back scheme, or who, in the end, pays what to whom. But one thing's for sure, in my humblest opinion, £4 per hour is a ridiculous cost, no matter who's charging, and whether or not it's "standard across many providers".  They have us over a barrel.

This isn't the "Club's" fault, as such, though the Clubs have taken the easy way out... They could, with greater effort, provide their own service just as you can at home, but administratively and technically it would add many layers to their current workload, and it would still cost us "something" for its use.

I've been doing some research into using a smartphone with both WiFi and Mobile Internet, to help reduce the number of times I take my laptop in the van, especially on the continent.  Within the UK there are a number of plans (Vodafone is my usual provider), but after a lengthy conversation with them, I decided that a cheap £15 plan, without packaged Mobile Internet, would be best for me... I'd get charged £1 for 24 hours Mobile Internet, only on the days I used it.  I could then use WiFi if it was available (and hopefully truly free!), or Mobile Internet if needed.

The problem occurs when we're on the continent.  International Mobile Internet charges are truly through the roof, but conversely, as already mentioned above, WiFi charges are much lower than the UK, and it was recommended to me that I mostly use WiFi in Europe, and Mobile Internet here.

Sorry for the long posting!

I agree that the prices for wifi on site is far too high, but it's your choice whether you use it or not and I would be against the price being spread across the pitch price for all to share the cost whether you use it or not.

I can understand too that there are times when people need to access the internet, but on the whole many of us are getting away from the everyday stresses and trying to chill out so why would we want to to use wifi? There are always mobile phones if needed to keep in touch. As I say I understand people away for long periods of time it would be useful, but if I were in that position I would look for the best way (dongle etc) so that I had wifi at my beck and call and not rely on site charges.

What ever happened to the good old days when you went away to get away from it all? you sent a postcard and told everybody about it when you got home. Maybe peace and quiet is a thing of the past?!

mom - 2009-04-21 8:21 AM

(snip)

This isn't the "Club's" fault, as such, though the Clubs have taken the easy way out... They could, with greater effort, provide their own service just as you can at home, but administratively and technically it would add many layers to their current workload, and it would still cost us "something" for its use.

(snip)

I'm interested in this paragraph because I haven't come across that sort of deal available for home users. We're on Virgin broadband and I don't think they have a scheme where home owners can sell on access to other households.

Could you please post details of provider and any extra costs of setting up, line rental etc over conventional home packages.

Graham

G'day!

I'm not aware of any formal deals either, I've never researched it, but I am aware of B&Bs for example, that simply buy regular home broadband and then open up the security to any guests who want to jump on, just like I've done here at home for friends staying over.  I stayed at one where he had even purchased repeaters/boosters to make sure the signal got to all rooms. 

I also stayed at a campsite in Ireland who said, after I asked if they had WiFi, "I'll put you on a pitch near to the office.  You're quite welcome to jump onto the office signal for free".  It's a long story, but I worked a normal working week from a pitch in Ireland!!!  WiFi for free. 

So, it can be done, but whether it can be done "formally" on the scale of a major CC campsite while adhering to the contract "letter of the law", I'm not sure.  But they don't have a problem with it in Ireland!  Or some B&Bs here.  Probably because they don't charge anything for its use.

Just stopped a few days on Fallberrow park (bowness on Windemere) and the wifi was free for the duration of your stay.

As we also like to use cl/cs's in the summer months, I bought a vodaphone broadband (use the term loosely) dongle, £39.00 including £15.00 worth of usage.

used it for over 4 hours, surfing and emailing still have £14.50p's worth left.

They tell me that it dosen't expire, only time will tell, but it works ok, like fast dial up.

Pete

Rapido-lass - 2009-04-21 8:36 AM

What ever happened to the good old days when you went away to get away from it all? you sent a postcard and told everybody about it when you got home. Maybe peace and quiet is a thing of the past?!

G'day Rapido-lass!

I understand your sentiment, people will have said the same when this new invention called TV came on board!

Just walk around a campsite at night and see the flickering glow in the vast majority of vans.  Very few nowadays would complain about TVs in vans, because most of the would-be complainers have one!  (We don't).  Yet the sentiment, if it is to apply, should apply to TVs as well, in my humble opinion.

Computers and WiFi internet are simply tools, to me anyway.  I have lots of hobbies, and like to work at them when I can finally get away from the work desk and out into this magnificant country!  Apart from touring about, which we do for most of the daylight hours, I sometimes take my bag of needles, thread and leather, as I make leather pouches, bottles and the like, and spend a thoroughly relaxed afternoon crafting.  I sometimes take a nice book and pen so I can spend a weekend jotting down my thoughts, I sometimes take my PC so I can work with my photo collection, and I sometimes like to use the internet to research Civil War and War of the Roses history, look for farmers markets and the like.  To me, they're all different hobbyists tools.

Unfortunately, PCs and the Internet tend to be branded by many as "work", not "play".  For me at least, and I know for many others, they are an extension of pen and paper, of books, of the TV (DVDs, on-line videos, iplayer etc), and more.  I don't take my work with me when I go camping, but except for later in the evening when the wine and cheese comes out!, I can't sit around and do nothing either.  I like to indulge my hobbies, and the internet is one of the tools I use.

But, having said all that, I agree that no-one except me should pay for my usage.  No-one else but me.  That's the positive thing about the current approach to WiFi Internet used by CC and C&CC... user pays.

Computers and WiFi internet are simply tools, to me anyway.  I have lots of hobbies, and like to work at them when I can finally get away from the work desk and out into this magnificant country!  Apart from touring about, which we do for most of the daylight hours, I sometimes take my bag of needles, thread and leather, as I make leather pouches, bottles and the like, and spend a thoroughly relaxed afternoon crafting.  I sometimes take a nice book and pen so I can spend a weekend jotting down my thoughts, I sometimes take my PC so I can work with my photo collection, and I sometimes like to use the internet to research Civil War and War of the Roses history, look for farmers markets and the like.  To me, they're all different hobbyists tools.

Unfortunately, PCs and the Internet tend to be branded by many as "work", not "play".  For me at least, and I know for many others, they are an extension of pen and paper, of books, of the TV (DVDs, on-line videos, iplayer etc), and more.  I don't take my work with me when I go camping, but except for later in the evening when the wine and cheese comes out!, I can't sit around and do nothing either.  I like to indulge my hobbies, and the internet is one of the tools I use.

But, having said all that, I agree that no-one except me should pay for my usage.  No-one else but me.  That's the positive thing about the current approach to WiFi Internet used by CC and C&CC... user pays.

Hi Mom,It's interesting the way you put it that the computer is a tool of your hobby - and I can accept that researching the internet for pleasure would require wifi on site, and that getting away may only give you the time needed for such a hobby. And as you say you expect then to pay for the wifi connection.I was thinking down the lines that it was acting as an extension of the work and hence the whole idea of getting away was from that too, together with the fact that now so many people have to keep in constant contact with everyone. There seems to be less and less of quality free time for so many people.I accept that times move on, maybe quicker than we want! And without this forum, we can go blindly on seeing things only from our own views, so thanks for opening mine a tad wider!

mom - 2009-04-21 10:05 AMG'day!

I'm not aware of any formal deals either, I've never researched it, but I am aware of B&Bs for example, that simply buy regular home broadband and then open up the security to any guests who want to jump on, just like I've done here at home for friends staying over.  I stayed at one where he had even purchased repeaters/boosters to make sure the signal got to all rooms. 

I also stayed at a campsite in Ireland who said, after I asked if they had WiFi, "I'll put you on a pitch near to the office.  You're quite welcome to jump onto the office signal for free".  It's a long story, but I worked a normal working week from a pitch in Ireland!!!  WiFi for free. 

So, it can be done, but whether it can be done "formally" on the scale of a major CC campsite while adhering to the contract "letter of the law", I'm not sure.  But they don't have a problem with it in Ireland!  Or some B&Bs here.  Probably because they don't charge anything for its use.

Thanks.I can understand that small B&Bs (and individual camp sites) would "get away" with extending domestic access to their paying guests. The extra traffic probably wouldn't be sufficient to look much different from what the ISP would expect.I'm sure you are right though that the CC/C&CC would have to have a formal business (rather than domestic) contract in place as the sizes of the sites mean that (potentially at least) usage would be much higher. Graham

I'm sending this via a Vodafone 3g PAYG dongle. I've been away a week and every day have sent/recieved mail , surfed various forums, played with Google Earth a lot and downloaded maps a lot.

The grand cost of this so far is about 10p per day, and the speed is very good. Why would I even consider paying anything at all for site WIFI as long as I have a workable signal?

I guess it was paerhaps unfortunate timing by the CC that the instal;ation on their sites almost corresponded with the seemingly sudden advent of the Dongle mobile internet. I only have the latter, and am now using it at the CC site at Cambridge with an excellent signal= more than can be said of many CC site wi-fi installations.

I would have thought -not being technically minded - that if the sites had a wifi connection for themselves, this could be extended at little running costs around the site, a bit like teh TV booster systems at some of the sites.

Incidentally, as far as the TV signal/ booster system is concerned, we are finding that we can get exc Freeveiw in many sites on teh roof aerial, where the anaolgue signal is stated as poor or fair.

little-jack - 2009-04-22 4:36 PM

(snip)

Dont understand how the 2 clubs have the nerve to charge such high prices for their wifi.

little jack

I think you've missed a couple of earlier posts - they are simply charging the prices set by the WiFi providers, Kezone & BT Openzone.

Graham

fred grant - 2009-04-22 7:26 PM can anyone tell fred weather its four pounds per hour, or is it four pounds for sixty minutes my biddies. theres a suttle difference - specially to a cornishman. farmerfred

Fred,

It states on their website that it's 4LBS per hour for Cornishmen and £4 for everyone else.... 

I hear what folk are saying that the club has to charge for broadband, but we stopped on the franchised club site at Ravenglass.

When i enquired about their wifi, I was told that they didn't want to charge, (the franchises put the wifi in at their exspence) but the club insisted, so they charge around £3.00 per hour.

Pete

Graham, just reading breakaleg's post, this is what I'm referring to when I say "Clubs have chosen easy way out". 

There "must" be contracts to be had out there, with small-business service providers (I don't mean BT Openzone and the like), that provide a small to medium thickness pipe and some kind of non-user-per-hour/month charge.  I.e. a "Business Internet Connection".  Small to medium businesses that need office internet to all their workers would already use an approach like this, surely?  If the company I worked for had to charge each of it's office employees £4 an hour for internet access, we simply wouldn't exist!

I actually know this service exists, because the company I worked for did it this way.  Problem is I have no idea on the details (though it did use BT's "Fusion" integrated business phone and data system) and have no idea of the cost, so I'm reluctant to fly the flag.  However, from breakaleg's comment, it's probably being done at some sites.

This approach would require considerable effort on the part of the Club Site, in the areas of training, maintenance, repairs and a method of charging if this were desirable.  And someone would have to pay something, either directly to individual users, or absorbed by the Site as the cost of doing business in the 21st century. 

You see, I see "The Cloud", "BT Openzone" and the others as extremely opportunistic.  Hotels, airports, shopping centres, and now Clubs, approach them and say we need an internet solution that we don't have to pay for, that we don't have to manage and that has a phone number to call for assistance that isn't ours.  The provider says ok.  The cost to the us, the users?  Whatever the provider wants to charge.  £4 or more per hour, at the moment.  If it went up to £5, that's our problem.  And what really gets my goat up is when places like airports etc advertise this as "Free WiFi".  Technically they're correct, the WiFi portion is free.  But accessing the internet through the WiFi connection is expensive.

Now it could be that business internet services are prohibitively expensive, knocking my argument out of the water.  I don't know.  And indeed, the solution in my opinion should only charge the user.  And I'm not suggesting that Clubs should take on the full responsibility of Internet Service Provision, they already have plenty to do and don't need the grief, I'm sure!  But I just wanted to explain what I meant by "the easy way out".

Thoughts?

regarding rates of charge, I was on the C&CC franchised site at Charmouth a few days ago and they charged £3 an hour or £6 a day so it does vary. when I asked about conecting to Openzone etc I was told no as this was a franchised site not owned by the club.

Do the Clubs moitor this forum, if so perhaps they would like to come back and explain to their members the basis of these charges and put an end to speculation.

I don't mind paying for what I get but it does feel occasionaly that the clubs take advantage off their members rather than use thier size to negotiate good deals for them.

Archived