WiFi on CC & C&CC sites

Meadows Engine

I think whether WiFi becomes cheaper on Club sites is a chicken and egg situation. The price won't come down until more people use it. With the advent of cheaply available Mobile Broadband that is unlikely.

I also think it unrealistic to expect individual Club sites to run their own facilities like you would at home when a friend or family members comes to stay. There may be a few wardens that could cope with the technology but I suspect the majority could/would not - even with training!

David

mom - 2009-04-23 8:39 AM

Graham, just reading breakaleg's post, this is what I'm referring to when I say "Clubs have chosen easy way out".  (snip)

Sorry not to have replied earlier - only just seen your post because we have been at Peterborough.

Yes, there are lots of different options out there but they are all aimed at different markets.

Businesses providing Internet access for their employees will be doing so in a logically similar manner to telephone facilities. Businesses like Wetherspoons, McDonalds, hotels, airports etc offer free access to attract more customers for the products they sell - but the cost will be included in the product prices just like all other business expenses. Businesses like the NEC, CC, C&CC etc offer facilities at a cost because they don't have the same recuperation options.

All the different business have to go with contracts which suit their markets.

Graham

The cost of wi-fi supplied via telephone lines or cable TV services looks cheap enough to me. Having just looked up BT's offering of 'Unlimited Calls and Broadband with Option 3' that service provides 8Mb broadband with unlimited download PLUS telephone service for £41(ish) per month. Maybe repeaters are required on most sites but even so the costs are minimal per unit per night. Yes at 8Mb there may be contention for bandwidth at times but I am sure most of us would understand if the service was free to the end user.

Isn't the whole 'Club' controlled site scene in the UK a rip-off? It looks to me as if we pay for a whole tier of management, administration and advertising that good independent site owners are capable of managing without.

Come on campsites break away from these monster organisations and give us a better deal.

Having just returned from the Hillhead CC site near Brixham. I used one of their 7day 24hr WiFi cards for £20.00, the reception is limited to line of site from the office roof arial which is a pity as the site has some much lower sites where the 'out of line' reception fails.

However before buying you will be asked to make sure that you can receive the signal, failing that do as I did, take a chair and sit in the sun nearby the signal.

Archived