Travelling with dogs

Mash

Hi we have just got our first Motorhome and wondered what others do with their dogs when travelling. Previously they were in a Mondeo Estate with front and back caging for safety so would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Mash

It is difficult in a motorhome to have safe travelling for dogs - especially big breeds. I have found for my 2 pups crates in the back - mainly to keep them from running around. As they grow they will have to be loose like my older dog - not ideal, but due to the lack of floor space available for larger crates and the problem of anchoring anything suitable crate wise and then the storage of the crate when you get to your destination.

I'm hoping others will be able to give you better advise,but I have mainly seen and heard of dogs travelling loose.

Mash there is a big thread on this. I've tried to find it for you but can't but if you have the time to troll backwards you will spot it..... but hopefully someone more knowledgeable in pasting links will come on now and help you.

Hi mash

We have a very large black labrador who travels with us in our hymer. I work in a vets and have been able to get a safety harness for her which is padded and clips into the seat belt bracket. She is able to sit on the floor with comfort but is safe and secure if any thing happens. It cost about £15.00 but money well spent. You also can just attach the lead when you wish to let her out for a comfort break with out having to take it off. Hope this helps

RRT

Guest Tracker

Most of us just ignore all the health and safety cobblers about dogs being caged, tethered or harnessed and we just get on with our lives in spite of the politically correct brigade trying their best to get us to do things their way!

Our border collie sits/sleeps quite contentedly on a double layer cover (one waterproof and one towel just in case as we too sleep on this part!) on the nearside settee and has done so for the last 8 years as did the collie before for the previous 14 years and apart from the very occasional wet patch we have never had any problems whatsoever.

Mind you she does travel well and is quite well behaved - mainly!

If anyone wants to advise me the error of my ways - yeah thanks I already know - so please don't bother 'cos I ain't changing!

Hear hear Tracker.

We have a Westie who travels at my Wifes feet, if we did hit anything head on he would only move a few inches as he would be against the bulkhead. Occasionaly he gets up and wanders to the back for a drink then back to his favourite spot. He has never been any bother if he was restained he would be very unhappy.

As Trackers says dont bother to tell me its wrong.

David

Hi Tracker and David, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to do with their own dogs, but it does depend on the dog doesn't it?

I, too, would not use a cage for my own dog as she would be most unhappy. If I have another passenger in my car she, the dog, is happy to sit at their feet and is quite safe, but if I am alone with her she likes to sit on the front passenger seat looking out of the window, so the harness to the seat belt as mentioned above, is ideal. I guess Mash will find out what suits her own needs best, but it would be nice if someone could point her to the thread showing all the different alternatives if anyone can help please.

Hi,

My first German Sheherd got very exited when driving to the walkie fields in my old Minivan. One day she decided the best view would be from sitting on my lap....with one bound she got between me and the steering wheel, just as Plod an a motorbike passed me. Luckily, he didn't notice.

Of course, in 1965, that sort of behaviour wasn't dangerous. :-S

previous cocker spaniel travelled loose and sat/lay/slept where she liked.

new cocker spaniel, now 16 months, has travelled loose but this week i put her crate in the van's 'garage' and she jumped straight up & into it. i got her out and took her inside the van. started the engine & saw her sat by the door wanting to go out. let her out & she went straight to the garage door & sat there. opened up and she jumped in & stood by the crate door.

only drove 5 miles. took her for a walk & dog training classes. when we got back she went to the garage door.

looks like she prefers to travel without my sparkling conversation :->

to stop our Newf from trying to assist in the driving we invested in a wooden baby gate that we put across the center of the van.

if you go down this line it is important to get a gate that is fixed with hinges, because if you use an expanding one that screws out the pressure needed to hold it in place is huge and it will cause the walls to bow, not a good idea. this method works a treat.

Archived