whats your favorite beach campsite

duetto owner

hi, do you mean here or abroad ?

we don't do here, mainly because of the weather and the costly campsites, but i'm sure there are some lovely places near the sea.

abroad,i could go on and on,especially spain and france.we have the "aires de france" book and the acis card.well worth buying.

hope you enjoy your travels.

What part of the country or does that not matter?

New to us, did the area at Easter - Godrevy CC club in Cornwall nr St Ives- fab expanse of golden beach - about 10 mins walk from the site which was flat and all grass and had a lovely atmosphere.

Dinas Dinlle near Caernarfon Northwales - particular in the summer when the tide is out. Lovely sunsets. Site has become a tad expensive particularly on Bank Hols. There is a site further along the road, I have never been to this one and I believe just as pricey.

Barmouth Northwales - Walk along prom into town in about 20 mins. Stayed at Hendre Mynach. Very flat, just across the railway line to beach - Train roughly every 2-3 hours not too noticable as grandson waits for them.

Porthmadoc Northwales- drive onto beach - very flat and masses of space. Lots of sites nearby - only ever stayed on Greenacres and only when they do offers. fields for touring are very well used! but good if you want all the facilities. Loo/Showers block portacabins

Tenby - south Wales - lovely beach and small town - stayed on Haven site. but again only when they do a special deal.

All of these beaches are fab

regards

Karen

duetto owner - 2009-04-21 5:35 PM

when we get our van in two weeks we will be looking for a site by the coast or within walking distance, we have read MMM this month and seen the supplement. Just looking for readers views & opinions would need electric hookup.

Loads of them but three of the best, Durness, top northwest corner of Scotland, Bunree CC site not exactly coast but on the edge of large sea lock near Fort William, Tintagel CC site right on the top of cliffs, fantastic views from site. We do our usual six to eight weeks in Europe but never tire of touring in the UK. People like one post on here who say they never do are missing so much but if your one requirement of a holiday is sun then I guess a few weeks sitting on a Spanish beach will suit but soo boring.

Guest Tracker
Any beach in the Outer Hebrides - no sites - no facilities - not many people - plenty of midgies - not too warm - not too dry - FREE - apart from the cost of getting there!

Tracker - 2009-04-21 7:27 PM

Any beach in the Outer Hebrides - no sites - no facilities - not many people - plenty of midgies - not too warm - not too dry - FREE - apart from the cost of getting there!

You were unlucky.

We went to Outer Hebrides end may to mid June and didn't meet even one midge.

Great place for motorhomes.

:-|

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2009-04-21 7:44 PM

You were unlucky.

Actually neither did we but it discourages the rabble from cluttering up the scenery if they think there are midgies about - but that's just between ourselves - OK?

Tracker - 2009-04-21 8:00 PM

malc d - 2009-04-21 7:44 PM

You were unlucky.

Actually neither did we but it discourages the rabble from cluttering up the scenery if they think there are midgies about - but that's just between ourselves - OK?

Fair enough.

Good plan.

At Easter went to Brixham, Devon (CC Site) not on beach but bus stops right outside campsite. 20 mins to Brixham and about same to Dartmouth in other direction. Brixham still has fishing fleet and therefore nice scenic harbour area with shingle beach within walking distance. Dartmouth absolutely fantastic, not sure about a beach but worth the visit for the town alone ! Then moved on to near Tintagel, Trewethett farm (CC Site) perched on cliffs overlooking Atlantic, fantastic,good facilities on site. Fantastic stretch of sandy beach can be seen from site but takes about 20 - 30 mins along coastal path which runs directly from the site. The good thing is that there are no roads to this beach so lots of space and well worth the walk. Waterfall at beach as well - absolutely beautiful. Tintagel walkable along coastal path as is Boscastle in other direction. Our first time but it won't be our last ! Have done lots of sites in Scotland, not just coastal but plenty of Lochs, some of which have man made beaches with others just pick your rocky outcrop and listen to the ripple of the water and enjoy the piece.

Hi,

If you are in the C&CC take a look at some of their holiday sites, one place in particular springs to mind and that is Fraisthorpe usually done by Leeds DA or there is another just down the road at Wilsthorpe.

Usually around £6 a night and right on the beach with a nice walk into Bridlington along the edge of the water takes about half hour.

They do another near Pensance can't remember the name but that runs for 3 weeks in the summer, right near the Monument in the sea, gawd my memory gets worse. (begins with M)

Mandy

Best one I know of that includes bit of sea fishing from the harbour wall is Garlieston, Caravan Club site. Dumfries and Galloway. Picture of the site has been on numerous adverts. If you like walking it is also for you. Manor/big house gardens on the waking trail.

Another is New England bay not far from Garlieston also in Caravan Club. Pitch up in the bracken and watch the rabbits here.

Good luck,

Gordon..

rupert123, what makes you think people who take their motorhomes abroad sit on the beach all day. we spent 2 months in spain recently and not once did we venture on to the beach.we are not boring, far from it,we like to enjoy everything that is going on around us and walk for miles, we just happen to like doing so in the sun rather than the rain and cold, and for a lot less money.

Guest Tracker
trickydicky - 2009-04-22 6:32 PM

rupert123, what makes you think people who take their motorhomes abroad sit on the beach all day. we spent 2 months in spain recently and not once did we venture on to the beach.we are not boring, far from it,we like to enjoy everything that is going on around us and walk for miles, we just happen to like doing so in the sun rather than the rain and cold, and for a lot less money.

I smiled when I saw Rupert's posting and I wondered how long it would be before someone took the bait that he so skilfully cast out upon the waters!

Archived