Greece

DonB

Hi all, Has anybody travelled to Greece via Montenegro and Albania from Croatia in January/February? Is this a possible route at that time of year and is it reasonably safe? Also is Greece open for business for motorhomes and tourists at that time of year, campsites and attractions open, etc?

I know it is quicker to go down through Italy, but the thought of eight hours on a ferry reduces me to quivering jelly! The Channel Tunnel was made for me!

Guest JudgeMental
Just visit your GP, get a strong sedative and take the ferry........Better that that then a face to face with the Albanian mafia *-)

We have been twice but not for 4 or 5 years. Greece will be very cold and shut in jan/feb. They still get snow there. Late march can be good, Things start to open and the weather gets better. Take the ferry from Bari, You may still be able to sleep in your van on deck. They used to give you electric ,wc/showers and full time security guards. The haven't had a big ferry sink for weeks. Writing this has given me itchy feet. You will love it when you get there. The biggest dangers are the greek drivers.

regards Mike W

Guest JudgeMental

My friend now lives in LA and visits back to the UK 4-5 times a year.

He gets sleeping pills on perscription and sleeps for the whole of the flight.......

• 4 weeks later...
Advice from the worlds' worst traveller, bar none! Buy a pair of wrist bands and take two Stugeron tablets. The tablets last for eight hours, so I take two about two hours before travel and two more if I need them after several hours. The wrist bands - I don't know how they can possibly work, but they do. Place them about three fingers size below the narrowest part of the wrist. I have now crossed the dreaded Bay of Biscay four times since last October - with no problem. Yippee!

We travelled to Greece a couple of years ago via Venice ,35 hours on the ship, we were able to live in the van on special deck, connected to electricity we were very comfortable, a real cruise it was , you have access to all the ships facilities too, ie. showers restaraunts, swimming pool etc, It was Ancona line, Fabulous, August time it was, we wild camped all the time [ 6 weeks ] on the Pelopanesse. (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
vindiboy - 2009-05-17 3:07 PM

We travelled to Greece a couple of years ago via Venice ,35 hours on the ship, we were able to live in the van on special deck, connected to electricity we were very comfortable, a real cruise it was , you have access to all the ships facilities too, ie. showers restaraunts, swimming pool etc, It was Ancona line, Fabulous, August time it was, we wild camped all the time [ 6 weeks ] on the Pelopanesse. (lol) (lol)

Thinking of doing this next summer, was it very hot during August? and very busy? and how did you manage for water/waste etc.......We will only have 3 weeks in Peloponnese *-)

Hi Your Worship, water was freely available where ever we went as was Elson disposal,at garages, public toilets and a railway station, the weather was .ideal, about 75f average we went in the sea every day.We were able to wild camp at most of the ancient sites we visited and entry to these sites and Museums is free on Sundays throughout Greece.Beach Restaraunts made us welcome and food was very cheap,we were encouraged to overnight on the restaraunt car parks and use their facilities.We left the ferry port and headed for the Corinth canal ,over nighted there for three nights and then travelled in a clock wise direction from there ,back to the ferry port.You can leave the ferry from Venice at Corfu if you want to as its the first stop for the ferry from Venice, and pick it up and continue later if you want, we didn't but wish we had now, still next time ?????? (lol) (lol)

• 6 months later...

We're hoping to go this December. Have discovered camping decks not available until March Venice>Patras but possibly from Ancona or Bari

QUESTION:

Best route from Calais>Italy:Milan ?

We're in a 4.600kg Hymer We don't do more than 300/400kms a day and I don't mind whether that's motorway or not and we tend not to use sites en route. Quite happy about pulling over in a layby.

BUT I'm ignorant about what special permits / carnets/ vignettes we might require along the way. (It's all changed since the last time we did it)

The search facility isn't working at the moment so I'd be grateful for links to any threads where this has been discussed before or personal advice.

Hughmer - 2009-11-19 11:24 AM

We're hoping to go this December. Have discovered camping decks not available until March Venice>Patras but possibly from Ancona or Bari

QUESTION:

Best route from Calais>Italy:Milan ?

We're in a 4.600kg Hymer We don't do more than 300/400kms a day and I don't mind whether that's motorway or not and we tend not to use sites en route. Quite happy about pulling over in a layby.

BUT I'm ignorant about what special permits / carnets/ vignettes we might require along the way. (It's all changed since the last time we did it)

The search facility isn't working at the moment so I'd be grateful for links to any threads where this has been discussed before or personal advice.

Hi,

If you use the shorter crossings from Bari/ Brindisi to Igoumenitsa/Patras with Ventouris ferries and Agoudimos Lines you will be able to have use of the van.

We plan to use the Agoudimos Lines day sailing from Brindisi to Igoumenitsa on the 3rd January 2010.

If you need any help please get back to me.

Don

using your camper i think is only available summer timetable

web quotes:-

Our camping-on-board service has been designed with nature lovers in mind. Continue to enjoy the way of life you love even on board: During the voyage from Italy to Greece and vice versa, camping fans can remain in their own trailers while we provide them with 220-V power. At the same time, camping-on-board passengers may take advantage of our ships’ services, or use our discount, a cabin at Economy (deck) prices.

Available from April 1 to October 31

aj8one - 2009-11-19 4:34 PM

using your camper i think is only available summer timetable

web quotes:-

Our camping-on-board service has been designed with nature lovers in mind. Continue to enjoy the way of life you love even on board: During the voyage from Italy to Greece and vice versa, camping fans can remain in their own trailers while we provide them with 220-V power. At the same time, camping-on-board passengers may take advantage of our ships’ services, or use our discount, a cabin at Economy (deck) prices.

Available from April 1 to October 31

This is a post on MHF it was posted last week.

"I opted to stay at the respective ferry terminals both nights. Bought my ticket on the morning of departure at the check-in hut - van plus myself cost €99, which is cheaper than advertised on the web. Masses of spare room on the ferry and use of van and EHU as Don said.

There is free wifi at the Igoumenitsa terminal, including in the car park outside if you have a wifi aerial. I think the network to connect to is called Ogli. You have to create a username and password if you want to connect for more than half an hour, but otherwise it was hassle free and fast.

It's my first trip here ever and I'm liking Greece so far, even though the weather is foul."

You can read the rest of the thread at http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-74598.html

Safe travelling.

Don

Thanks for the recent replies. including the private messages. All very useful.

The question I posed was really about the route from Calais into Italy, - not so much from there eastwards.

Opinion on the Calais>Italy stretch seems divided. On the one hand via France & Frejus tunnel, on the other Luxembourg Austria Switzerland & St Gotthard tunnel.

The reason I posted the question was because we are in a 4.600kg truck with a Euro II engine.

There have been a few threads in the past year or so regarding pollution control taxes (like the low emission zone in London). As far as I recall these were in/around bigger German cities and what i was hoping you might be able to tell me was, - will we get caught out traveling through Austria & Switzerland?

The other bit of info I was looking for was whether we'd need to buy motorway "licences" for these states (sorry.. europhobia creeping in, - I should say countries) OR is the smart money on staying away from motorways thereabouts?

We usually opt for Switzerland especially in the winter.

Vehicles up to 3.5 tons must buy a Vignette costing 40 Swiss Francs and valid for 14 months (1 Dec 2008 - 31 Jan 2010) caravanners/trailers have to buy two.

Payment is easy (Euros, Sterling, Credit Cards or Swiss currency accepted. Exchange rate about 1.84 Swiss Francs to the Pound). If you pay for the vignette with Euros or Sterling you will get Swiss Francs in change.

The vignette can be bought in advance at service areas on main routes approaching the border.

If your motorhome is above the 3500kg weight limit you will need a special permit for one day (3.25 SF), 10 days (32.50), one month (58.50) or a year (650.00). Just make sure you put the dates in for the days that you are travelling if you have the 10 day/monthly/yearly permit. There's a minimum charge (25SF) so don't buy a one day pass.

If you are travelling mid week be prepared to wait as you use the same counter as the truckers.

When we had the Laika (4200kg) we would buy a 10 days pass to transit Switzerland out and back. The ten days don't have to be taken consecutively, so the pass is good for a return journey too, provided it's within one year.

Excellent value, as the motorways include the 10-mile St Gothard Tunnel through the Alps into Italy!

Safe travelling

Don

Thanks Don , just the info I was looking for. Is the vignette required for ALL Swiss roads or just the motorways?

Is anyone similarly knowledgeable about Austria?

Sorry to plague you all with these q's but I'm afraid the search facility is not working here. It may be my machine?. Would anyone try a search on "switzerland vignette" or "swiss vignette" within one year and let me know if they get a result.

Hi Ann just returned from Greece great time we did the Ancona-Igouminitsa route with our Rapido 997M, cost was 476 Euros return with open ticket at no extra cost, it is like a mini cruise as it is 17 hours.

After Oct 31st no open deck available till March, for those of you who has not done it you can connect up to electric and stay/live in your vehicle but still use all facilities on board the ferry.

NOW be warned of Bari ferry they ship livestock from there and it can be very very "messy" our Italian friends have done it and do not advise anyone to use the route, we also spoke to a Brit transporting livestock on this route and he said yes it can be "messy" what do you expect from live animals on board a ferry for 7-8 hours.

Also as already mentioned in another thread you will be hard pushed to find a garage that will take creit cards even in Athens, we did not find one, we also took a ferry to Kefelonia and they did not take credit cards and this is also open ticket at no cost, LPG is ok in the North but none available in the Polepanese and can be filled direct if you have Gaslow without removeing cylinders from vehicle.

You will be shocked at the volume of rubbish that is dumped along the road side, and helmets, what are they?

If you or anyone else goes do not miss Meteora it is unbelievable.

Wild/freecamping no problem and is every where and the people are very friendly theonly camp site we used was Camping Athens but not very impressed but is served its purpose, if any more info. needed drop us a line.

:-> :->

the best and cheapest route to italy is through belgium, germany, austria and into the top of italy, from there you can go any where, no tolls in belgium, germany, just a small toll for austria, and then tolls in italy, route as follows, calais to aachen, then follow signs for koln, then frankfurt,munchen,then signs for wien, then onto the motorway for innsbruck, over the brenner pass, motorways all the way, and easy driving, plenty of stops, and all free, have a nice trip,ps i used to be a truck driver for a dutch company, so i can vouch this is the best way,anybody want to know to road to take to baghdad?

mgain - 2009-11-19 8:20 PM the best and cheapest route to italy is through belgium, germany, austria and into the top of italy, from there you can go any where, no tolls in belgium, germany, just a small toll for austria, and then tolls in italy, route as follows, calais to aachen, then follow signs for koln, then frankfurt,munchen,then signs for wien, then onto the motorway for innsbruck, over the brenner pass, motorways all the way, and easy driving, plenty of stops, and all free, have a nice trip,ps i used to be a truck driver for a dutch company, so i can vouch this is the best way,anybody want to know to road to take to baghdad?

No argument with the post, but you don't need to pay anything on the normal Austrian roads, only on the Autobahn is there a toll, If you do happen to stray onto the Autobahn, get off at the next junction or carry on to the next service station and buy a pass. Keep your fingers crossed that the police don't spot you. Don't worry to much though, they will fined you on the spot but the fine will let you use the Autobahn until 24.00hrs. (midnight)

Dave 

mgain - 2009-11-19 8:20 PM the best and cheapest route to italy is through belgium, germany, austria and into the top of italy, from there you can go any where, no tolls in belgium, germany, just a small toll for austria, and then tolls in italy, route as follows, calais to aachen, then follow signs for koln, then frankfurt,munchen,then signs for wien, then onto the motorway for innsbruck, over the brenner pass, motorways all the way, and easy driving, plenty of stops, and all free, have a nice trip,ps i used to be a truck driver for a dutch company, so i can vouch this is the best way,anybody want to know to road to take to baghdad?

Remember vehicles over 3.5 tonnes MAM require a Go Box for Austrian autobahnen.  The vignette only applies to vehicles 3.5 tonnes or less.

DonB - 2009-04-22 2:47 PM Hi all, Has anybody travelled to Greece via Montenegro and Albania from Croatia in January/February? Is this a possible route at that time of year and is it reasonably safe? Also is Greece open for business for motorhomes and tourists at that time of year, campsites and attractions open, etc? I know it is quicker to go down through Italy, but the thought of eight hours on a ferry reduces me to quivering jelly! The Channel Tunnel was made for me!

Re Greece via Montenegro and Albania: the roads exist, but I don't think you will get any UK comp insurance cover for these countries!  Your only bet will be to buy transit insurance at the borders.  Gives third part cover only, all other risks are yours!  Croatia is non-EC, but most insurers seem to cover it.  Many will not cover Bosnia, so watch out for the Neum corridor, just North of Dubrovnik: check carefully.

To maintain comp cover, you'll need to go the long way round, via Hungary, Roumania and Bulgaria, so as to stay within the EC.  Even then, it would be wise to check whether your insurer applies conditions.

Thank you, Brian, We have been to Croatia several times, both in our van and using a hired car when staying with friends. When in the van we drove down through Germany and Austria. There are no particular problems driving in Croatia. The Neum corridor is not a problem to anybody except British insurance companies. Plans are ongoing for a bridge/causeway linking the Northern part of Croatia to the Southern strip, but this will take some time! It was the fact that we have friends in Croatia, Korcula in fact, that made us think of driving down to Greece that way via Albania, so that we could stop off at their place for a while.

Archived